all posts post new thread

Programming Improv GPP and HIIT/glycolytic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Curious about people's experiences and preferences for how often they incorporate HIIT/glycolytic training in their programming and what types they like? I understand this is likely largely dependent on fitness/training needs and goals.

A little background on myself: I am a practicing professional counselor and psychotherapist, so I have no real specific professional demands for fitness. I've coming off of several years of an extremely long commute which made it difficult to fit training in, but now am self-employed and have 8minutes or less of commuting daily. Past fitness adventures/goals achieved have included some very long distance backpacking and obstacle course racing ranging from 3 mile races all the way up to the Spartan Ultra (30 miles at the time) My current general fitness goals typically include: improving health longevity and overall quality of life (even mental health is significantly improved by regular exercise), maintaining general functional fitness, and being moderately well prepared in case life throws anything crazy at me (i.e. crises, emergencies, disasters etc).

A bit of personal conundrum for me is something of the following: long distance runs, trail running, and hiking are the most enjoyable activities in the moment for me, but I don't want the body of a typical endurance athlete. Overall, I feel better when I am strong (i.e. maintaining quality base of general strength training).

Long-term goal for me is to get back to relatively long-distance runs (15+ miles) while maintaining functional fitness and strength. My speed on long-runs is not as important to me as being able to enjoy them without unnecessary pains/discomfort.

This is what I am considering for a block of training for a while to build GPP while taking myself gradually in the direction of long runs:
-2 weekly sessions of A+A or Q&D
-1 Weekly session of relatively easy strength - 1-2 sets of 5 reps on an upper push, upper pull, and squat.
-Smattering of auxiliary lifts mixed in here and there for maintain muscle balance and preventing injuries.
-3 weekly sessions of LISS jogging using talk test or nose breathing as a rate limiter.
-??? possibly somewhere in the mix, adding a little bit of glycolytic/HIIT training.

A bit of personal conundrum for me is something of the following: long distance runs, trail running, and hiking are the most enjoyable activities in the moment for me, but I don't want the body of a typical endurance athlete. Overall, I feel better when I am strong (i.e. maintaining quality base of general strength training).
I know lots of locomotive endurance athletes that are plenty strong, and don’t have the “body of a typical endurance athlete” (whatsoever that is :) )

Curious about people's experiences and preferences for how often they incorporate HIIT/glycolytic training in their programming and what types they like? I understand this is likely largely dependent on fitness/training needs and goals.

Seasonal for me.

I do it during my summer rowing season, as it's necessary for my rowing performance.

I stay far away from it during weightlifting season, because it doesn't help my weightlifting performance.

A little background on myself: I am a practicing professional counselor and psychotherapist, so I have no real specific professional demands for fitness. I've coming off of several years of an extremely long commute which made it difficult to fit training in, but now am self-employed and have 8minutes or less of commuting daily. Past fitness adventures/goals achieved have included some very long distance backpacking and obstacle course racing ranging from 3 mile races all the way up to the Spartan Ultra (30 miles at the time) My current general fitness goals typically include: improving health longevity and overall quality of life (even mental health is significantly improved by regular exercise), maintaining general functional fitness, and being moderately well prepared in case life throws anything crazy at me (i.e. crises, emergencies, disasters etc).

Long-term goal for me is to get back to relatively long-distance runs (15+ miles) while maintaining functional fitness and strength. My speed on long-runs is not as important to me as being able to enjoy them without unnecessary pains/discomfort.

This is what I am considering for a block of training for a while to build GPP while taking myself gradually in the direction of long runs:
-2 weekly sessions of A+A or Q&D
-1 Weekly session of relatively easy strength - 1-2 sets of 5 reps on an upper push, upper pull, and squat.
-Smattering of auxiliary lifts mixed in here and there for maintain muscle balance and preventing injuries.
-3 weekly sessions of LISS jogging using talk test or nose breathing as a rate limiter.
-??? possibly somewhere in the mix, adding a little bit of glycolytic/HIIT training.
I would run Al Ciampa’s From Simple To Serious Endurance 3-4 days a week. There’s not a lot to be gained, if anything at all, from doing Easy Strength 1 day a week. Do press 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps after your swings. Or do Q&D with snatches 3 days a week to cover your upper body/shoulders. A&A with snatches is great, just don’t know how much turnover to endurance racing it may provide. I’m sure it’s great, I just don’t have first hand knowledge, the other two programs I mentioned I know well.

I would run Al Ciampa’s From Simple To Serious Endurance 3-4 days a week. There’s not a lot to be gained, if anything at all, from doing Easy Strength 1 day a week. Do press 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps after your swings. Or do Q&D with snatches 3 days a week to cover your upper body/shoulders. A&A with snatches is great, just don’t know how much turnover to endurance racing it may provide. I’m sure it’s great, I just don’t have first hand knowledge, the other two programs I mentioned I know well.
My thinking was easy style strength to maintain some strength. Was planning on trying A+A with either swings or jumping split squats, which I figured would have better generalization to running.

Or I was thinking of doing Q&D with Viking push press and swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom