all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GPP endurance program idea using A+A and LISS

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
An important question is always: Will this and this program lead to progress ? And how will you measure it ?

I am doing kind of A+A two-tree times a week with 2h swing, gradually working up from 5 to 10.
One-two times a week I do LISS.
Day1: 2h swing.
Day2: LISS.
Day3: 2h swing.
Day 4: rest.

I also do neutral grip-pulls ups and archer push-ups as GTG.

When in need for more rest I either take two days of rest, or I do more LISS and less 2h swing.

To repeat myself: A very important thing with a training program is that it leads to some kind of progress in terms of strength and/or endurance.

An important question is always: Will this and this program lead to progress ? And how will you measure it ?
My thinking is yes it will. Potential Ways to measure: number of reps done in each set of A+A while maintaining criteria (ie talk test) or increasing the weight used, increase in pace of LISS runs while still staying in Z1-2, occasional running time trials, increased distance I can comfortably complete for long runs.

But I also believe that it’s not all about progress. Sometimes life demands that training is more about maintenance.

Also here are some non-progress based markers of a successful and effective program for me: does my body feel good, do I generally remain injury free, do I maintain satisfactory energy levels throughout the day, can I complete and enjoy active recreational activities I enjoy such as backpacking, am I maintaining a body composition that I prefer, can I meet the physical demands of being a parent and homeowner, does it positive contribute to my overall well-being including both physical and psychological?

I actually run 4 days a week, I am not sure exactly what I was thinking. I run Tue, Wed, Fri and Sunday. Sunday is long day and it's anywhere from 5-10. My week day runs are 3-5. I also do something longer once every 3 months or so. If I don't have a race(they can be expensive) I make something up. If I do something extra long on a Saturday, I take Sunday off. I probably run 15-25 miles a week average. The longest thing I have done on a time limit is 50 miles.

I am currently doing the C&J program. "The best program ever", or something like that? It was on a strong first email. Every30 seconds for 30 minutes. I do wear a heart rate strap while doing all my work.

I basically follow Kenneth Bolyard's step-up program, except I go by my zone 2 heartrate.

The truth is, this is what I do, for a specific goal;
To hopefully stay health for a loooooong time , and to be able to complete long bi-pedal adventures.

I do not train specifically for strength, or even particularly endurance. It is not ideal for a lot of pursuits, or for a lot of people, but it works ok for me.

Hello,

Cardio-vascular endurance training works best, IMHO, when one uses the same tool (running for instance) but with different methodologies, at the same time. Therefore, if we consider running as an example, one could get the basic template:
- Session 1: A+A using hill sprints (up to 10-12 repeats, we stop when power output decreases)
- Session 2: Interval run (4 x 400m, 30"-30", etc... usually about 75%)
- Session 3: Regular LISS (Z2 training, for 45+ minutes)

Of course, A+A with swings or snatches will work as well, but nothing beat specificity if one is after endurance for rucking / running because one may need some "time on ones feet".

Plus, as far as endurance training is concerned, 75-80% of the training is supposed to be in the Z2 (as per the reference TFTUA), regardless the modality.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Cardio-vascular endurance training works best, IMHO, when one uses the same tool (running for instance) but with different methodologies, at the same time. Therefore, if we consider running as an example, one could get the basic template:
- Session 1: A+A using hill sprints (up to 10-12 repeats, we stop when power output decreases)
- Session 2: Interval run (4 x 400m, 30"-30", etc... usually about 75%)
- Session 3: Regular LISS (Z2 training, for 45+ minutes)

Of course, A+A with swings or snatches will work as well, but nothing beat specificity if one is after endurance for rucking / running because one may need some "time on ones feet".

Plus, as far as endurance training is concerned, 75-80% of the training is supposed to be in the Z2 (as per the reference TFTUA), regardless the modality.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yep, I agree with pretty much everything you said. What I’m looking for is a GPP with a slight to moderate bid towards endurance, but that still maintains other important aspects of fitness for longevity and functionality purposes. Such that I could enjoy the casual run, hike, or ruck at any given time.

If I know I have a more significant event coming up, such as a race, longer backpacking trip, or the like, I would switch to a more specialized training program for somewhere between 6-12 weeks prior.

At this point in my life I don’t have any big intentions of events that would need a majority time spent specialized training.

Back
Top Bottom