all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GPP in Long Run

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello everyone First I must intriduce myself to make the whole conversation meaningful...
I have 25 years and I train from my 13years Grappling,BJJ and also different strenght training bodyweight,Korte,Bear routine Barbell Kettlbell...
Ive runs programs like:S&S for 5years straight (TGU 36-40kg and swings under 10 minut with 40kg...) my deadlifth without straps is 220kg...
Now Iam in stage in I feel that everyone program works but it does not cover the general foundation for life in a certain way

*But now to the point ....
do you know any program system that is suitable to train daily and has a great transfer not only as a complementary training to sport but also to life and work?
*Also are you have some sources where I can find some exercises for mobility and stability?

Thankyou for your advice...

@Patrik Novák, you ask a good question. This article

To Every Season: A Simple Way to Structure a Year of Training | StrongFirst

by StrongFirst's Director of Education, @Brett Jones, should help you think this.

My personal "system" is based on 5-year age brackets. I tend to compete at powerlifting during the middle 2-3 years of each 5 year period. During the other half of the time, I focus on other things, e.g., rings and other bodyweight or gymnastics work, lifting in the AWA (the all-round lifting association, which has hundred of different lifts), and sometimes just going into maintenance mode of a few presses and a few deadlifts, a few times per week, plus relaxed walking.

-S-

Hi Patrik,

I think you are in a very enviable position, in where you have mastered the basics and get to chose where to go next knowing that you will be ready to handle it!

Unfortunately that starts with the most difficult question of all questions in life... where do you want to go?

Steve’s excellent (as always, if in doubt listen to Steve) answer hints at this, long term planning for a very clear definition of goals, he knows exactly what he wants to achieve

So whilst not a simple answer, think about and tell us where the GPP should bring you in the coming years, what would you like to do?

My reply might appear a bit negative but it certainly isn’t meant to be, you’ve achieved the holy grail of training, you’re ready to go anywhere you want to go!

In other words, what are your goals going forward? General GPP you have more than covered, so the question about how to sustain training is more or less covered, the real question is, what are your goals, and I am sure the collective here will help to guide your way

Great thread!

Brgds,
Claude

Hello everyone First I must intriduce myself to make the whole conversation meaningful...
I have 25 years and I train from my 13years Grappling,BJJ and also different strenght training bodyweight,Korte,Bear routine Barbell Kettlbell...
Ive runs programs like:S&S for 5years straight (TGU 36-40kg and swings under 10 minut with 40kg...) my deadlifth without straps is 220kg...
Now Iam in stage in I feel that everyone program works but it does not cover the general foundation for life in a certain way

*But now to the point ....
do you know any program system that is suitable to train daily and has a great transfer not only as a complementary training to sport but also to life and work?
*Also are you have some sources where I can find some exercises for mobility and stability?

Thankyou for your advice...
Funny, although I'm not as accomplished as you I have come to a similar thought/feeling. This has possessed me to get into some serious callisthenics - the strength and skill to move my own body about in nature at any time in any way. This seems like it will unleash a new freedom of movement for me and will complement my judo also.

General strength is just that general, once you are a certain level of strong / capable. No, just cycle your programming. 12 weeks KB, 1 week rest. 12 weeks barbell, 1 week rest. Repeat as needed. When you hit a certain level of strong it is seldom strength that is holding you back from endeavor accomplishment.

Also are you have some sources where I can find some exercises for mobility and stability?

"Steve maxwell" has some great videos on joint mobility.

"TacFit" program does as well.

"Systema" is another good source.

Youtube joint mobility

Thankyou for yours advice guys...

Can you give me some resources a what it consist of Tactical strenght training ?
Wish power....
Thankyou

A great resource is Matt Wennings ebook for tactical athletes. I also like 80/20 too. Both for running and triathlons.

As well as the many resources here from my years of lurking.

However it is difficult to really just train for life. There is still a purpose behind training. I think you need to think about what you want to achieve in particular.

Hello,

Just found the following on Josh Bryant's instagram (@jailhousestrong):
"If you're a fan of pro wrestling, you remember that the old school wrestler Bob Backlund maintained an unbelievable level of endurance. In fact, he kept that level of conditioning well into old age. At the center of his training program was a modified version of the Harvard Step Test. Designed in 1943 to test the cardiovascular health of American GIs serving in World War II, the test has the participant step up on a platform at rate of twenty four steps per minute for a period of three minutes. After which, their pulse would be taken. Backlund would keep this pace for up to one hour.
At home or a hotel, find a platform in the rough vicinity of twelve inches from the floor. This could be done with cushions from a couch, a stool, or by using a step on the stairwell. A good starting point is to aim for fifteen minutes. After which, you could add time or increase the pace. To make it an interval workout complete as many steps as possible in one minute. Rest for thirty seconds. Complete for ten sets."

This sounds very sustainable and scalable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom