all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Graduated reps, isometrics pauses, antagonistic co contraction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BER

Level 3 Valued Member
In Pavel T’s original RKC book he mentioned trying a method of two steps forward and one step back on lifts like the press. I have used the method over the years for Bodyweight drills and like how it decreases the difficulty of otherwise easy exercise. But I have always questioned how big or small to make the steps ( 1/2 or 1 inch or?)

Also Naked warrior mentions adding isometric pauses to dynamic reps. I have also found this misery inducing. But not really sure to the place it has in training for strength.
I’ve scoured the internet for others that are interested in these methods but can’t find much. I they make form very strict and safe, which is part of the appeal. Lastly if anyone has any experience with using antagonistic co contraction for strength training Bodyweight please shed some light . Thank you in advance

My two cents:

I train mostly bodyweight/calisthenics type skills, and using isometrics is integral to breaking plateaus for many people. Is is common to use isometrics in or near the "sticking point" of a skill, i.e. the point you can't get past when trying the concentric portion of the movement.

An isometric pause at the bottom of eccentric portion of a skill, for instance, may help to develop strength from a dead start, that is, without the use of the stretch-shortening cycle: the "Spring" effect generated by the rebound at the bottom of the motion. Concentric-only reps are another way to train this, provided the skill you are working allows you to.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom