all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gray Cook on Loaded Carries for SF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I also had a big baby (33 pounds at 12 months, and basically kept that weight for the next year) and built a very visible asymmetry in my left and right arm musculature over the first year or so just because of this. I am right handed, so my right hand was needed to open doors, operate locks, etc... To this day, 5 yeast later, I still have a bigger left bicep and the roll to elbow doing TGUs if much easier when I roll on the left elbow. Since I did not take advantage of the opportunity to do extra presses, my right and left presses are about equal. The specialized work of doing static holds with a bent arm caused hypertrophy and strength gains in elbow flexion and in shoulder stabilizers. All this just from holding a weight in one bent arm most days once or twice for 30 secs to 1 min! Sometimes, I had troubles with my keys or something else in the winter, and putting the little one down was not an option. A few times I got really close to muscular failure. Somehow, I always found the motivation to push harder as dropping the baby was not an option ;)
Ain't. That. The. @&$/!?$. Truth.

Funny thing is, I think the waiter's carry is easier than the rack carry. My biceps get tired in the rack carry.

I gave this an honest go a couple days ago (had to switch hands every 2 minutes for 16 minutes), and noticed the same thing. Specifically, it felt like the biceps had been pre-fatigued by the waiter's walk, so when I dropped it into the biceps-intensive front rack, I was already at a disadvantage. It's a pretty cool illustration of how the biceps plays a significant role in stabilizing straight arm positions, even though the delt and upper trap were obviously doing more work in the overhead position.

I also had a big baby (33 pounds at 12 months, and basically kept that weight for the next year) and built a very visible asymmetry in my left and right arm musculature over the first year or so just because of this.
Wow! I am jelly of your big baby. My daughter just turned 4 this month and is only 31 pounds. She has been lifting things for quite a while and I just taught her how to bench press for her birthday.:)

Is everyone doing the Cook Drill with only one hand switch? If that's the case, I have some work to do :p

I made it to the end with one hand switch with a 16 kg bell. But I was glad it was the end. No way I could have done a 20 or 24 kgbell.

managed about 2 mins in the waiter position, 90 seconds in the rack then 2.5 mins in the suitcase position then switch hands. Rack position was definitely hardest.

I made it to the end with one hand switch with a 16 kg bell.

Whew! All that barbell work must be doing it's job ;). I probably could have pushed to 3 minutes per arm, but then I doubt I would have made it all 12 minutes. My arm probably would have just fallen off.

I did this today - about 100 feet each of overhead, rack, farmer's, switch hands and repeat. So about 600 feet in total, used a 24 kg. I like it, was showing it to students and we all did it together.

-S-

I probably could have pushed to 3 minutes per arm, but then I doubt I would have made it all 12 minutes.
I use your quote as an example, because I feel too many people see the Cook drill as a challenge.
You're not supposed to push through anything!
If you feel some kind of burning (the good kind, indicating muscle fatigue, not pain) you've most likely already lost full integrity.
The drill is not about trying to make it through the whole 12min with only one hand change. It's a combination of assessment and practice. The most important thing is keeping integrity.
A person who has to do 4-6 hand switches during the 12min, but changed positions once he/she just moved slightly different than at the beginning has performed far better than the person who pushed through with only 1-2 hand switches, but moved around without integrity for probably more than half the time.
The Cook drill is one of those things where it's probably better to switch earlier than later.
But I was glad it was the end.
If you find yourself thinking something like this I'd bet you already pushed too far and would have needed to change positions earlier.

Last edited:
Wow! I am jelly of your big baby. My daughter just turned 4 this month and is only 31 pounds. She has been lifting things for quite a while and I just taught her how to bench press for her birthday.:)

Sometimes I see my daughter close to a smaller friend and at the same age they look like they are a different species. She is 6 now and weights 70 pounds. I think that about 10 to 15 of those are fat and am working to get her leaner. However she is surprisingly strong. She probably got that from her mother who is more than half native, from northern Quebec. After her pregnancy and more than 4 years of inactivity, my wife did a 165 pounds deadlift for 3 reps. That is totally untrained.

When she was 4, my daughter dealifted my 24 kg kettlebell. That was a bodyweight deadlift.

That was my plan. Maybe I did not express myself properly. My plan is to minimize weight gain as she grows. We are on the same page.

I tried that approach, but it was too late, mine stopped growing at just shy of 4'10"!

That was my plan. Maybe I did not express myself properly. My plan is to minimize weight gain as she grows. We are on the same page.
I didn't think you were going to actually cause her to lose weight. I was taking advantage of the opportunity to share something that I think is important. I should have been more clear myself. Thanks for understanding.

I use your quote as an example, because I feel too many people see the Cook drill as a challenge.
You're not supposed to push through anything!
If you feel some kind of burning (the good kind, indicating muscle fatigue, not pain) you've most likely already lost full integrity.
The drill is not about trying to make it through the whole 12min with only one hand change. It's a combination of assessment and practice. The most important thing is keeping integrity.
A person who has to do 4-6 hand switches during the 12min, but changed positions once he/she just moved slightly different than at the beginning has performed far better than the person who pushed through with only 1-2 hand switches, but moved around without integrity for probably more than half the time.
The Cook drill is one of those things where it's probably better to switch earlier than later.

If you find yourself thinking something like this I'd bet you already pushed too far and would have needed to change positions earlier.

I don't really see the link between forearm burn and loss of integrity in the suitcase position. The waiter and rack positions I buy.

Other than that you quite effectively rained on my parade ;)

I did the 12 min one as R, L, R, L, R, L (each time waiters, rack, farmer's)

I tried this last night with a 16kg, haven't ever done carries other than the 90 seconds with 32kg bells I mentioned the other day. I managed 10 minutes with the same format as Anna pointed out, i.e. R,L,R,L,R,L - plan to use this as my warm-up tonight to see how it goes. I found the starting few minutes harder than when I stopped.

I love this carry. Did this with 20kg yesterday and not only is it killer but also a good body check.

If one is currently doing S&S 6 days a week how many days should the cook drill be performed?

I don't know if there's a stock answer here, but I'm thinking 2 to 3 x /week would be good if you're looking to see progress. The good thing is it really doesn't work up a sweat, so you can do it anytime... as an evening walk, perhaps.

I currently shoot for 5-6 days a week personally. I'm even contemplating dropping TGU's all together and just doing swings and carries until I hit simple swing standards.

I don't know if there's a stock answer here, but I'm thinking 2 to 3 x /week would be good if you're looking to see progress. The good thing is it really doesn't work up a sweat, so you can do it anytime... as an evening walk, perhaps.
Well I tried it this morning with a 16kg bell before my walk. It's not bad, and your right it doesn't work up a sweat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom