all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gray Cook on Loaded Carries for SF

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dan John made up a version which he calls CookED drill.
It's the Cook drill, but with swings between the stages:

Left hand waiter walk until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Left hand rack walk until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Left hand suitcase carry until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Repeat with the right hand

Do that 2-3 times and you got a nice standalone workout, which could be alternated with S&S.

Why don't you do them during S&S? When you are standing in the TGU, you are in the ideal position to do loaded carries. Just start walking around with that kettlebell overhead, return to your place and get down to the floor again. Switch hands and repeat.
Good point. I was thinking about the 75% BW carry though, which cannot be incorporated into the TGU since both hands are needed.

When Gray and Brett ran a CK-FMS certification, we did an overhead carry for two baseball field length.
We'd start from getup, stand overhead carry get to down after may be 100 yards, switch hands go back.
I used a 16kg.

Tried the mentioned carries today, if I remembered them right.

90 sec carry with 28kg in each hand - check. Hard, but doable. Bodyweight 161 so that's 75% (56kg, or 123.5 lb).

12 min carry with a single 16kg, waiters until tired, rack until tired, farmer's, switch hands - check. Pretty easy, I think I could have kept this up for 20 min or more. Funny thing is, I think the waiter's carry is easier than the rack carry. My biceps get tired in the rack carry.

Carries are awesome.

Has anybody else noticed a massive difference in carrying kettlebell's versus dumbbells? I can carry two 70 lb KB's in each hand much easier than I can two DB's of the same weight. The weight under the hand in KB carries seem to help.

@StanStan - I have incorporated them right after S&S. Mostly Farmer or Suitcase Carry

I have also experimented with what Gray Cook has discussed and what Dan John calls the "Cook Drill" - 6 position, OH to rack to suitcase and then changing to the easier position then changing hands for a total of 12-15 minutes - and it is challenging! I have heard in the past Gray Cook recommend using a bell for this that you can bottom's up press with both hands, which for me is a 16kg bell.
I agree with the different feeling depending on what you carry. Using 45 pound plates is easier than 45 pound dumbbells for me. Two things: grip width (the thinner the better) and center of gravity. KBs and plates, the center of gravity is very close to the gripping point, so momentum and torque while carrying is manageable easily.
Different story for dumbbells.
Feel the difference using a barbell, most noticeable even just standing, without walking. It's a matter of levers.

Interestingly this is precisely my problem,more mobility and less stability,per Steve F's assessment when I met him first in Sep 2015. I should pay attention to the carries.

Did the Farmer's Walk this morning. I weight ~210 lbs, carried two 40kg bells for 90 seconds. 176 lbs = 83% of bodyweight. I definitely found my forearms!!

Saturday at home I finished with rack walks; carried two 24kgs in the rack for 90 seconds. Like Anna said, felt it most in my biceps.

12 min carry with a single 16kg, waiters until tired, rack until tired, farmer's, switch hands - check. Pretty easy, I think I could have kept this up for 20 min or more. Funny thing is, I think the waiter's carry is easier than the rack carry. My biceps get tired in the rack carry.
Dito :)

I had no problem doing the Cook drill for 600 meters last week (no time, but I did not rush it, so at least 10 minutes, maybe more) with a 24kg. I just tried the CookED version with the same weight (with the 10 swings each change of position). That's a different animal! I encourage you all to try it once you are proficient with the original drill. I had to take a short break after each suitcase carry before switching side. I wisely chose to do the swings with 2 hands. There is one thing to say about Dan John, he knows how to make your weaknesses apparent. It is obvious now that I am way out of shape.

Is everyone doing the Cook Drill with only one hand switch? If that's the case, I have some work to do :p

Is everyone doing the Cook Drill with only one hand switch?

I did the 12 min one as R, L, R, L, R, L (each time waiters, rack, farmer's). Probably could have done with R, L, R, L, but I'm a ways from just one hand switch. Although he didn't mention any gender difference either... I used the 16kg.

Haha good deal. I was prepared to be very impressed with you, and simultaneously very disappointed in myself. I did each side one time, and my total was a little over 5 minutes, so I'm guessing that I would have to do RLRLRL to get into the 12-15 minute range. Pretty humbling, though, for just 16 kilos.

I might have to start doing some "easy" loaded carries on my LSD days. I stopped doing them for the sake of simplicity, but it was a hard sell to drop them, and now I can't help but wonder if I threw the baby out with the bath water...

"Do swings like Pavel is standing behind you"...that would be a nice way to test performance anxiety thresholds.

At the certifications I've been to with Pavel, it was usually the reverse.

Throughout the cert, candidates who were having a particular problem would get chosen by team leaders or assistants to demonstrate it in front of Pavel and the whole group, and another candidate would be called up to demonstrate troubleshooting the problem. It became a bit of a joke that the pressure of performing in front of Pavel would correct the problem by itself.

Loaded Carries, The Cook Drill Kettlebell Carries

Question about the article: somewhere it says "What did I do at the beginning to make sure that every one of these people was going to be okay through the distance? I made them do a bottom-up press. I didn’t say, “Go grab your kettlebell of choice.”"

So the loaded carry drill should be done with a KB one can bottom up press? Good thing my gym has a few lovely plastic-pink-4 kg KB as the ones Pavel loves

Somewhere else Dan John says to use a KB you can "just" bottom-up rack. I tried both and think the BU press recommendation is better because using the BU rack weight is a lot heavier, at least for me (24 vs. 32).

Coming to this thread very late, so my apology for playing the dumb kid, but is there an official protocol in terms of total time under load for each arm or both combined?

Tried the mentioned carries today, if I remembered them right.

90 sec carry with 28kg in each hand - check. Hard, but doable. Bodyweight 161 so that's 75% (56kg, or 123.5 lb).

Carries are awesome.

Ok, it looks the 12 min protocol you mention is the one I'm looking for. Is 12 or 20 minutes the benchmark time?

Tried both versions yesterday.

1:10 with a 32kg in my left and two 16kgs in my right (only have 1 32kg bell). 70% of bodyweight. I could've gone longer if my right hand grip could've held with the wider grip of two handles.

"Cook'd" drill I did with 16kg for 12 min, but had to switch hands 5 times. But I went the first 2/3 of the time with 3 switches.

Think I'll add both drills to a weekly variety session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom