all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grease the groove swings for deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DanielGreen

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello, I'm a big fan of the grease the groove protocol and also on the benefits of swings. I'm trying to increase my deadlift numbers however due to university demand and the recent passing of my mother, I have very little spare time. I was wondering if daily grease the groove hard style swings would increase my deadlift numbers for now ? And would simple and sinister be more effective than greasing the groove swings even if I hit the same number of swings or would it be no different ?

Thank for your time!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Can you do GTG Deadlifts?
Maybe the swings give you a WTH effect and increase your deadlift.

Thankyou for your kind words.
Unfortunately my nearest gym is ten miles away. I'm at university from 8am until 7pm every weekday so the only days I can make it to the gym are on weekends. At university I have a locker and can easily store a kettlebell in it and knock out sets of 10-20 once an hour.

I should have more time available in about 6 weeks to start a legitimate deadlift peogram however I was just wondering if grease the groove swings would be likely to bring about any noticeable improvement

I got my deadlift up to 510 last October (it's not that now), by deadlifting. It's really that simple. I did a variety of programs but lifting heavy is how you get a big deadlift. Just don't go over 85% all the time 5 and 3 reps are my favorite. I only deadlifted once a week then

I wanted add, on deadlift day I just deadlifted. I didn't often do a bunch of accessory work.

Once a week, drive the 10 miles to the gym, hit your numbers and bounce. Do that consistently and your numbers WILL go up. I guarantee it

Here's Dan John on increasing deadlift (without really deadlifting often):

"Here's the odd thing, most people don't need to deadlift to improve their deadlift. Pull-ups will help with grip, kettlebell swings will help with hip and glute strength, and high-rep squats can teach tension. I've yet to meet a good Olympic lifter that couldn't pull a big deadlift – without any deadlift training. Getting strong in the fundamentals gets you strong in the deadlift.

Powerlifters may disagree, but the great lifter Hugh Cassidy said that only silverbacks can deadlift more than once a week. So, what do you do the rest of the time? Simply put, "work" increases a deadlift. Push a Prowler, farmer walk, squat heavy for high reps, get stronger. Dedicating three to six months of heavy, hard training without deadliftingwill do miracles for your deadlift."

From: (https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-things-every-lifter-should-be-able-to-do)

So, get some actual DLs on the weekend when you can, and GTG swings, one leg squats if you know them, etc.

Last edited:
Daniel, the swing is a great DL assistance exercise but using it exclusively if your goal is a big DL is not the best tactic.

Deadlift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom