all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grease the Groove with Swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

slowrollerbjj

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey all- I've been searching the forums for something related, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Hoping to get some advice from those stronger and wiser than I am.

I train bjj 6 days a week, about 1.5 hours every night. I've been trying to do S&S in the morning, but have found that it's hardly worth the sweat- I don't want to shower 2+ times a day (after S&S and then again after bjj). I also just prefer a GTG type of thing since I'm home all day and pretty sedentary besides training at night.

I have a 28kg kettlebell, which I can probably do about 8 reps of C&J with my weak arm or maybe about 15 one arm swings with weak arm. I consider it a heavy-ish weight for me, though I read GTG should be with a lighter weight.

I guess my question is this: If I did something like 10 swings with my kettlebell every hour on the hour, for 12 hours, every day (120 swings a day), what results could I expect? Would I get stronger and be able to move up kettlebell weight in a couple months? Would this improve body comp and general fitness? I do understand it likely wouldn't improve conditioning or endurance.

Hello,

Here is a protocol with GTG swings

It may help you to improve body composition because it remains an addition energy expenditure, with EPOC. However, I am not sure it would be a great addition to your conditioning because that's not a real "session" (contrary to A+A or whatever). The idea is to find the dose with gives you the maximal ROI (compromise between effort, recovery and result). As long as you get better at BJJ while increasing swing volume and weight, you're good to go. As soon as you notice a decrease in performance in one of them (or both), then youll have to reduce the volume.Then, that's also good to clearly define your goal: being better at BJJ or being able to swing heavier. Both are not exclusive, at least to a certain point...

For pure conditioning, 6 sessions a week remain plenty. It may still be good, for aerobic capacity (the base on which all other cardio vascular capacities are built) and even for recovery purpose, to do some LISS but that does not stick to GTG.

Result wise, you may notice more power and some additional "strength" as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

what results could I expect?
more strength.
Would I get stronger and be able to move up kettlebell weight in a couple months?
yes. especially if you incorporate that heavier bell. per session or per week.
Would this improve body comp and general fitness?
Fitness yes. Body comp, maybe.

the very beginning of my log may be of interest to you.

GtG got me graduating bell sizes pretty well across some months while I was stuck at home.

Last edited:
I would make it 20 swings (10L, 10R) every hour. Will you be able to make some strength and body comp progress, yes. Will it be ideal, only you can answer that. As with most programs, give it a go for at least a month and then reevaluate to see if it is meeting your needs.

Wow this 160 second protocol seems too good to be true. I guess its really also just 96 swings a day which is better than nothing- 4 sets of 3, 8 times a day. I guess can be increased to 4 sets of 4, 8 times a day, etc etc. Will definitely give it a try. Thank you.
Hello,

Here is a protocol with GTG swings

It may help you to improve body composition because it remains an addition energy expenditure, with EPOC. However, I am not sure it would be a great addition to your conditioning because that's not a real "session" (contrary to A+A or whatever). The idea is to find the dose with gives you the maximal ROI (compromise between effort, recovery and result). As long as you get better at BJJ while increasing swing volume and weight, you're good to go. As soon as you notice a decrease in performance in one of them (or both), then youll have to reduce the volume.Then, that's also good to clearly define your goal: being better at BJJ or being able to swing heavier. Both are not exclusive, at least to a certain point...

For pure conditioning, 6 sessions a week remain plenty. It may still be good, for aerobic capacity (the base on which all other cardio vascular capacities are built) and even for recovery purpose, to do some LISS but that does not stick to GTG.

Result wise, you may notice more power and some additional "strength" as well.

Kind regards,

more strength.

yes. especially if you incorporate that heavier bell. per session or per week.

Fitness yes. Body comp, maybe.

the very beginning of my log may be of interest to you.

GtG got me graduating bell sizes pretty well across some months while I was stuck at home.
The busy dad protocol! LOL. It looks great actually, I will definitely combine this with the 160 second protocol posted here, I like the idea of changing up the movement everyday. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom