all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Greasing the Groove: It works and it helps me care for my daughter

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AlamoJack

Level 4 Valued Member
We typically practice GTG in the context of training, but I wanted to share how I know the concept works in a non-training context. My wonderful and strong daughter is severely disabled, and part of our daily routine includes transferring her from her wheelchair to her bed and vice-versa. Some days we transfer her 10-12 times. She now weighs 76 lbs.

Family and friends sometimes ask "How can you keep lifting her like that?" It finally dawned on me that for many years, my wife and I have been using the GTG concept to effectively make these transfers. Every day, several times a day, we lift our daughter in and out of bed. As she gradually gained weight, we gradually grew stronger. We give little thought to lifting her at her current weight (although we watch our form!). We just do it.

GTG works.

One option for transferring our daughter is to install a mechanical sling lift. No way. Not in my house. I'm not going to tell someone I'm too weak to lift my daughter. So now I'm continuing my StrongFirst path by slowly moving down the S&S road for more well-rounded strength that I can apply in everyday life.

Strength, GTG, and S&S: They make life better.

Awesome. And very insightful. I've noticed the same thing in a friend of mine; his wife is disabled and he does a lot of lifting her to/from wheelchair, bathroom, etc... he practices the skill and strength daily to do what he needs to do, and it works. I'm sure it means a lot to your daughter that you are able to do this, too.

Along these lines, I had a similar thought yesterday about the selective application of tension. When something is new, there is a lot of tension, and it takes a lot out of us to perform the task. When it becomes routine, we use just enough tension, we can focus on the task, and it is much less demanding on the overall system. Sounds a lot like your GTG scenario.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom