all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Greasing the Groove with S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello Everybody,

I just started S&S approximately a week ago and want some advice. Currently I gtg with chin ups and I do 2 or 3 reps here and there throughout the day. I also want to gtg with some loaded carries whenever I'm home for the day. Does anybody have recommendations for gtg with loaded carries? Or if this is even a good idea?

Thank you, Adam

Hello,

@Adam Mundorf
Be careful on the grip recovery if you combine daily pull ups + S&S + carries. However, if it recovers well, there's nothing wrong.

That being said, an idea with GTG for the carries: each time you go through a door, you grab the bell, get it to the other side of the room, and get back.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Perhaps rotate through an overhead carry, a rack carry, and a farmer carry - one or two bells.

What do you want to improve with your carries?
You can...
a) go longer and longer using the same weight
or...
b) strife to go heavier and heavier but keep the distance or time about the same.

I'd go for very heavy carries, e.g. a weight that you can only carry for 15-20sec and carry it for 5-10sec in a GTG style.
If you want to go longer you run into the problem that your GTG sets become very long. For example you have a weight that you can carry for 3min and want to improve to 5min. You'd have to GTG carry it for 2min sets.
On top of it I don't know if GTG really works when it comes to things like carries for more and more time.

The 10 TGUs a day are no joke, if done at the right weight for you. They aren't carries per se but pretty similar. Maybe a farmer's carry wouldn't interfere too much with the S&S muscles.

The chinups are smart. They are different enough from S&S to not interfere, I think, and they actually help with both the swings and especially the TGUs.

Of course, the carries and swings should be done at a different time of day from S&S.

I have done these alongside S&S, so I am speaking from experience.

As always, be careful not to overdo it. Getting injured SUCKS!

Hello Everybody,

I just started S&S approximately a week ago and want some advice. Currently I gtg with chin ups and I do 2 or 3 reps here and there throughout the day. I also want to gtg with some loaded carries whenever I'm home for the day. Does anybody have recommendations for gtg with loaded carries? Or if this is even a good idea?

Thank you, Adam
Adam,
What are you trying to accomplish with your training? (Goals)
This is what should dictate what training modalities to incorporate. Personally I think that pull-ups compliment S&S very well. However they won't for everybody. Loaded carries are good too, but again they should be aligned with your goals.

Thank you everybody for the responses. Looking at S&S from Dan Johns fundamental movements : push, pull, hinge, squat, and loaded carry. I think the only thing that I feel would benefit S&S are loaded carries and chin ups since everything else is pretty much covered.

I really don't have any specific goals, just overall physical development. Chin Ups and loaded carries seem like skills I want to build but mostly maintain while on S&S. I'm just trying to keep everything so I can practice these movements every single day without interfering with S&S.

Thank you everybody for the responses. Looking at S&S from Dan Johns fundamental movements : push, pull, hinge, squat, and loaded carry. I think the only thing that I feel would benefit S&S are loaded carries and chin ups since everything else is pretty much covered.

I really don't have any specific goals, just overall physical development. Chin Ups and loaded carries seem like skills I want to build but mostly maintain while on S&S. I'm just trying to keep everything so I can practice these movements every single day without interfering with S&S.

I´ve been thinking about this from Dan John´s fundamental movement perspective. I think that the TGU covers both the loaded carry and the upper body pull categories to some degree. The TGU is an overhead loaded carry per se, so that field is somewhat covered. And regarding the upper body pull (the chin up you mention), the TGU includes this movement: When you do the roll to elbow, you are forcefully pulling with your elbow to the floor. So that part of the movement mimics an upper body pull (and the grip portion of the upper body pull is covered by swings).

So IMO, S&S pretty much covers all 5 of Dan John´s fundamental movements, even though some movement patterns are hidden and not so easy to identify.

I´ve been thinking about this from Dan John´s fundamental movement perspective. I think that the TGU covers both the loaded carry and the upper body pull categories to some degree. The TGU is an overhead loaded carry per se, so that field is somewhat covered. And regarding the upper body pull (the chin up you mention), the TGU includes this movement: When you do the roll to elbow, you are forcefully pulling with your elbow to the floor. So that part of the movement mimics an upper body pull (and the grip portion of the upper body pull is covered by swings).

So IMO, S&S pretty much covers all 5 of Dan John´s fundamental movements, even though some movement patterns are hidden and not so easy to identify.

That's a very cool perspective on the movements.

You will not be disappointed. S&S can be a real challenge, or it can be a regular part of your day that gets you stronger. It all depends on how your session goes. Every minute on the minute swings is really challenging, but recovering completely between sets will also benefit you. TGUs are the same, how fast or slow you go will still provide you with a real benefit. Whatever you decide to do, be patient. Don't chase the weight, master one before moving up to another one.

I've actually decided just to do the S&S program. No additions and no subtractions, just S&S.

From the perspective of push, pull, squat, hinge, carry; the TGU fits the carry part well in my opinion. For me, S&S doesn't preserve my pressing/pulling endurance or my squat/lunge endurance. I often supplement S&S with lunges, front squats, running, push-ups, and rows/pull-ups. However, if you have no need for endurance/stamina of those specific movement patterns, you will be satisfied with the program as is.

I still argue that one doesn't _need_ to do all those things with a load on a regular basis, e.g., squatting just bodyweight or goblet is a fine way to get in some squatting.

-S-

I still argue that one doesn't _need_ to do all those things with a load on a regular basis, e.g., squatting just bodyweight or goblet is a fine way to get in some squatting.
I think so, too.
Dan doesn't say that you ultimatively have to do all of them everytime. He'd like you to, but it's not a necessity.
In Intervention he just says that if you don't do them all, you'd improve your overall performance by including the ones you don't do - for example adding carries to an athletes routine. Most athletes already do push/pull/hinge/squat and still perform well. Adding carries improves their performance, but they could still do well without them.

@Kettlebelephant, I think we now get into what's a minimum for health and what's a minimum for GPP for athletes. For me, PTTP's two lifts, plus flexibility work and easy walking or running are all I feel I've ever needed.

-S-

S&S is my main session. My primary goal is to achieve simple. I can't really think of a secondary goal but if I had to choose one it would be to see this program through until the end.

then keep the goal as the goal... probably move pullups to technique practice before commencing your main session

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom