all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Great Lakes Girya Kettlebells

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Max Parish

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Great Lakes Girya kettlebells?

I'm looking to buy a 12kg for my wife, and a 20kg and 24kg for myself. Unfortunately, almost all suppliers are out of stock, but I'm doing my homework so I can order when they become available. I've been doing a lot of price comparisons. Using $83 for a shipping estimate (I got this number from the shopping cart from one of these places; I can't remember which), here's what I've come up with for purchasing one each of a 12, 20 and 24kg bell:

$248 - Rep fitness
$257 - Rogue
$275 - Diamond Pro
$301 - Perform Better
$307 - Great Lakes Girya (437.86 in CAD; this is with a 10% discount code from Your portal to Kettlebell Training of all types)
$422 - DD
$479 - Kettlebells USA

I'm willing to spend a little extra to get a good product that I won't regret, that has a warranty, and for which I can buy reliable matches the future. However, I'd rather not spend $400. That puts GLG at the top of the lower price bracket. I'm willing to spend an extra $50 (e.g. in addition to what I'd pay for Rep bells) to get superior quality bells. The GLGs have an e-coat, like DD and KBUSA bells, which I think I'll like. I also like the look of the GLG bells (similar to DD), but that's not much to go on. Unfortunately, I can't find many reviews of the GLG bells. Any thoughts from you long-time kettlebellers?

Max

I just received a couple bells from them last week. There's a couple of minor rough spots on the bottom side of the handles, but they're more towards the corner. There's also a small gouge in the finish on the outside corner of one of the handles, probably from shipping and handling. All in all not a big deal as I can hit the handles with a little bit of sand paper. Some people may make a huge deal about this, but when you use them a lot, they are gonna get knocked around a lot anyway.

Haven't really used them yet, so I can't give you a review from a long-term performance perspective, but I see no concerns.

From what I've seen and experienced, I would consider buying from them again. Colin, from GLG, was good to work with, and responded quickly by email. So, I don't have any concerns about customer service. You may want to check their site, because I thought Colin was offering a 20% discount on pre-orders, but that was a couple of weeks ago. Also do more digging into the shipping costs for the overall picture, they can vary widely depending on location and shipping vendor. Some charge extra for packaging. Packaging can be a major player on kettlebells too in terms of cost and what condition the bell arrives to you, but that's a story for another day.

Good Luck!

I've been doing a lot of price comparisons. Using $83 for a shipping estimate
It’s not safe to assume shipping is the same across the board, if that’s what you did. It’s included in some places and crazy expensive at others. When I have priced bells then quality ones weren’t so different in delivered price. But these are crazy times so maybe things are different.

Let us know if you manage to get the GLG bells. Very curious about them as that is also my preferred style.

Thanks, all! In my pricing calculations I did some research to see which companies ship free and which don't, and then used a general shipping estimate for all the companies who don't ship free. I didn't adjust my shipping estimate based on the supplier location. And if companies charge different rates, then distance differences + rate differences could add up to significant total cost differences.

Anyway, I'll report back if I end up getting the GLG bells. I'm still undecided. I was waiting until this morning to see if Rep Fitness had any in stock when they reopened ordering. They don't have the ones I need - no surprise.

One of my concerns about GLG is that, from what I can tell, it looks like they are a fairly new company. I plan to fill out my set of bells in the next few years, and I'd prefer to buy them all from the same place, so they are uniform. This makes me wary of purchasing my kbells from new companies.

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Great Lakes Girya kettlebells?

I'm looking to buy a 12kg for my wife, and a 20kg and 24kg for myself. Unfortunately, almost all suppliers are out of stock, but I'm doing my homework so I can order when they become available. I've been doing a lot of price comparisons. Using $83 for a shipping estimate (I got this number from the shopping cart from one of these places; I can't remember which), here's what I've come up with for purchasing one each of a 12, 20 and 24kg bell:

$248 - Rep fitness
$257 - Rogue
$275 - Diamond Pro
$301 - Perform Better
$307 - Great Lakes Girya (437.86 in CAD; this is with a 10% discount code from Your portal to Kettlebell Training of all types)
$422 - DD
$479 - Kettlebells USA

I'm willing to spend a little extra to get a good product that I won't regret, that has a warranty, and for which I can buy reliable matches the future. However, I'd rather not spend $400. That puts GLG at the top of the lower price bracket. I'm willing to spend an extra $50 (e.g. in addition to what I'd pay for Rep bells) to get superior quality bells. The GLGs have an e-coat, like DD and KBUSA bells, which I think I'll like. I also like the look of the GLG bells (similar to DD), but that's not much to go on. Unfortunately, I can't find many reviews of the GLG bells. Any thoughts from you long-time kettlebellers?

Max
Hello all,
I’m the owner of Great Lakes Girya.
Colin Lake fellow SFG elite
I’ve been selling bells since 2017.
I just put a 400k $ order in for over 100k kg of high quality bells. I won’t be going anywhere
I hope to earn your business
Feel free to reach out to me at any point to help you with any inquiries!
Thanks , I’m honoured to be mentioned in this tread.

I can vouch for Colin and GLG. Best hard style kettlebells on the market. I was looking to get a 32kg kettlebell about a month ago. I emailed a few other bigger companies and still havent received a response back as of today. I reached out to Colin and got an email back within the hour. I also got my kettlebell two days after ordering it and Im in the states. Someone mentioned the rough spots on the coating. You can buy the finest sandpaper and those spots will disappear after one light rubbing. I brought my 32kg GLG to my friends house for a workout and he ended up preordering 3 GLG bells that night.

I can vouch for Colin and GLG. Best hard style kettlebells on the market. I was looking to get a 32kg kettlebell about a month ago. I emailed a few other bigger companies and still havent received a response back as of today. I reached out to Colin and got an email back within the hour. I also got my kettlebell two days after ordering it and Im in the states. Someone mentioned the rough spots on the coating. You can buy the finest sandpaper and those spots will disappear after one light rubbing. I brought my 32kg GLG to my friends house for a workout and he ended up preordering 3 GLG bells that night.

RoccCity - This is really helpful. I decided to pre-order some as well. When they arrive I'll follow-up on this thread and let you know what I think.
Max

I didn't order order bells, but clubbells. They arrived today. I've got to say they are top notch. I will definitely be ordering and dealing with Collin from Great Lakes again and will recommend them to everyone I know.

I just placed two separate orders for my first Kettlebells through GLG. I should have ordered both at the same time to save on shipping, but I didn't think of it until after. The discount offered right now is very good and I figured I would hate to pay full price later and also have to wait, lol.

I was very close to getting the Kettlebell Kings, but after I saw the quality and the fact that I am supporting a Canadian company I went with GLG. Not to mention duty and taxes.

I really like the old school look, and they appear to be very high quality (no rough spots and consistent finish).

Max Parish - I would love to hear your review and see some pictures .

I spoke with Colin yesterday, I wanted to let him know that there are many of us that understand the delays and to keep up the good work. I am sure that it is not easy running a small business that explodes over night, and some of the Google reviews are plain rude. It is pretty clear on his site that they are pre-orders due to stock and COVID issues.

Very excite to receive mine and I'll also post pics and a review :)

Andrew

I didn't order order bells, but clubbells. They arrived today. I've got to say they are top notch. I will definitely be ordering and dealing with Collin from Great Lakes again and will recommend them to everyone I know.

This is great to read. Just pre-ordered a 35lb clubbell from them. Couldn’t pass up on the 25% discount $132 shipped seemed like a great deal and happy to support a smaller Canadian company.

Received most of my order yesterday. UPS seems to want to hold onto one of them longer for some reason.

Here's a lineup of 12/16/20/24kg. And a close up.

E-coat is very consistent across all the bells.

Handles are a little smaller than DD or KB usa, which I don't mind at the lighter weights. May have to grab some heavier bells in the future to compare as well.

Attachments

• 12971.jpg
    12971.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 12972.jpg
    12972.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 22
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom