all posts post new thread

Nutrition Greens powder and fasting

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

When is a good time to take a greens drink? I fast all day and try to keep my eating window to four hours after work. During the day I have the usual water, coffee, and tea. I also have some bcaa's as I work a very labor intensive job and enjoy the fact that they are light and give a welcome relief to the taste of water. I was thinking to either take the greens first thing in the morning or on the way to the motel after work. Both of which would be on an empty stomach. Any thoughts?

I'd think first thing in the morning but you should really experiment and find what you prefer.

-S-

I think that greens supplements do interrupt your fasting window, so you’d should take them at the end of that.
BTW, how did you address this?

When is a good time to take a greens drink? I fast all day and try to keep my eating window to four hours after work. During the day I have the usual water, coffee, and tea. I also have some bcaa's as I work a very labor intensive job and enjoy the fact that they are light and give a welcome relief to the taste of water. I was thinking to either take the greens first thing in the morning or on the way to the motel after work. Both of which would be on an empty stomach. Any thoughts?

This has been addressed in a previous post. If you are consuming coffee, tea, BCAAs, greens, you are not fasting. They are all metabolized by the liver which is detected by the brain and ends the majority of fasting-related signals. That's not to say you are not benefiting from caloric restriction, just be aware of your goals and be aware of what this particular plan is offering.

We can take this a step further - if you're drinking water, you're not fasting either. The subject of not always maintaining optimum hydration was discussed at the Strong Endurance I attended.

I am and have been a fan of the Warrior Diet's choice of words: under- and over-eating. In my non-scientist's mind, have done total fasts, water fasts, and under-eating periods with things like a greens drink, there is much to commend both approaches, one needn't stick with only one approach but can mix both during any week (or month, or year), and embracing the idea of not needing to feel sated all the time is, well, it's strong, and it's good, IMHO.

-S-

We can take this a step further - if you're drinking water, you're not fasting either.
Sounds miserable but interesting, what would be an example of the difference in fasting effects drinking water and not drinking water during it?

I don't understand the purpose of all this. Fortunately, I am hypoglycemic and shakey sweatey is not good. I decrease food at times but not fasting.

You people have strong minds to do this at work.

I don't understand the purpose of all this. Fortunately, I am hypoglycemic and shakey sweatey is not good. I decrease food at times but not fasting.

You people have strong minds to do this at work.
Ahhh yes, shaky/sweaty hypoglycemic is precisely why I do this. It seems counter intuitive to fast when you have the blood sugar problem but it's what protects you from these attacks if you do it right.

Check out 'The Complete Guide to Fasting' by Jason Fung M.D.

You don't have to live with the fear of blood sugar highs and lows, I lived with it for years until I discovered fasting and the freedom it gives

Sounds miserable but interesting, what would be an example of the difference in fasting effects drinking water and not drinking water during it?
Apparently things can get stronger at a cellular level. It’s training, like anything else. If you learn to do without being optimally hydrated all the time, whatever suffers from lack of water will adapt and become stronger, provided the stress is applied intelligently - same as with the stress of lifting weights or endurance work. Same kind of thing when comparing fasting with eating every few hours. You can address the underlying issues and body systems through training rather than dealing with, well, you get the idea.

NB: This is my non-scientist synopsis of what I have learned.

-S-

Moving the Greens to the end of the day will maintain the integrity of your fueling window.

You may also consider swapping the BCAA for BHB electrolytes. Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D. has stated that BHB can be taken during fasting window. He is on the short list of leading researchers on the topic. For some products that meet academic rigor check or search for ketonutrition.org

All the best as you move forward!

Apparently things can get stronger at a cellular level. It’s training, like anything else. If you learn to do without being optimally hydrated all the time, whatever suffers from lack of water will adapt and become stronger, provided the stress is applied intelligently - same as with the stress of lifting weights or endurance work. Same kind of thing when comparing fasting with eating every few hours. You can address the underlying issues and body systems through training rather than dealing with, well, you get the idea.

NB: This is my non-scientist synopsis of what I have learned.

-S-
Yes I guess it comes down to slow adaptation, our bodies are incredibly adaptive provided the stressors are mimimal and incremental.
Seems the rules apply to almost anything you need or want to adapt to. Within limits of course..

I just read about a guy who usually works out later in the day and breaks his fast post workout with some bcaas and greens powder followed by his meal

Moving the Greens to the end of the day will maintain the integrity of your fueling window.

You may also consider swapping the BCAA for BHB electrolytes. Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D. has stated that BHB can be taken during fasting window. He is on the short list of leading researchers on the topic. For some products that meet academic rigor check or search for ketonutrition.org

All the best as you move forward!
I know there's some controversy regarding what a fast is exactly, it's kind of like the question of what is cardio, it comes down to definitions.
My gut feeling is that if I don't consume enough food to fuel my body during the fast then I'm still 'fasting' as there's no substantial energy benefit (sugars) to keep me fueled, especially if I'm physically working. Any bits of calories from fat, protein or carbs that I may ingest (very small amounts) is vaporized so fast it makes no difference. I'm talking specifically about powdered greens, I get no food boost or kick from these things and my body primarily survives on fat burn until I gorge a meal down and shift the energy burn mode.

Bret,
I hear you. Also, I agree that defining fasting is helpful.

It is likely, though, that your blood sugar, and resulting insulin response, would react differently with some choices over others.

As someone who is recovering from Metabolic Syndrome, I tend to bias towards minimizing the blood sugar bumps during the day, when possible. I work to keep them within my 6-hour feeding window. My goals, my needs so definitely do not take that as some ideal.

In addition to Dr. D’Agostino, work by Drs. Satchin Panda and Rhonda Patrick has been illuminating.

The thought occurred that an easy way to test to what options may be better suited to you would be to get a glucose meter.

Consider taking a fasted reading in the AM, upon waking. Then for a “fuel” test take a pre-, post-30min and a post-2hour reading. You might run the test(s) on a day off so it does not interfere wth your work day.

Measuring glucose was eye opening for me. It was not medically necessary mind you. However, once I started measuring I was able to effect significant change. Fasted AM readings are now typically in the mid-70’s to mid 80’s.

As an aside, I use an Abbott Freestyle Neo, which has served me well. Locally they run around $18.00 and strips are about $15.00 for 25 or $25.00 for 50.

All the best as you drive forward!

Last edited:
Bret,
I hear you. Also, I agree that defining fasting is helpful.

It is likely, though, that your blood sugar, and resulting insulin response, would react differently with some choices over others.

As someone who is recovering from Metabolic Syndrome, I tend to bias towards minimizing the blood sugar bumps during the day, when possible. I work to keep them within my 6-hour feeding window. My goals, my needs so definitely do not take that as some ideal.

In addition to Dr. D’Agostino, work by Drs. Satchin Panda and Rhonda Patrick has been illiminating.

The thought occurred that an easy way to test to what options may be better suited to you would be to get a glucose meter.

Consider taking a fasted reading in the AM, upon waking. Then for a “fuel” test take a pre-, post-30min and a post-2hour reading. You might run the test(s) on a day off so it does not interfere wth your work day.

Measuring glucose was eye opening for me. It was not medically necessary mind you. However, once I started measuring I was able to effect significant change. Fasted AM readings are now typically in the mid-70’s to mid 80’s.

As an aside, I use an Abbott Freestyle Neo, which has served me well. Locally they run around $18.00 and strips are about $15.00 for 25 or $25.00 for 50.

All the best as you drive forward!

I agree with you Will,
I've learned what I can and can't do regarding blood sugar and diet,
- what I eat matters,
- when I eat it matters,
- what I ate the day before matters,
- what I'm doing physically matters whether it's work or KB practice,
- how well and how much I slept matters,
- the intensity of the previous day's training matters,
- if I drink alcohol the timing, quantity and type of drink matters

all of this experience has helped me tremendously and I rarely get caught anymore in a bad blood sugar episode.
I really love fasting and feel great doing it, provided I've eaten enough the day before. Fasting I believe is an art, as you must learn your own body as well as the technical aspects of it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom