all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Greg Glassman Regrets Kipping Pull-ups

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I respect the fact that Glassman is willing to admit changes in his thinking. When I see certain systems (such as systems of yoga or systems of martial arts) that get codified into dogma such that the powers-that-be never admit to mistakes, then the system ceases to be for the benefit of its practitioners.

While I’ve never been interested in the kipping pull up, I’ve never been interested in making fun of it either. Perhaps this is because I can recognize that even the regular pull up, as awesome of an exercise as it is, has its limits. (A pull up is just one climbing skill of many. It’s one thing to be able to pull up on a ledge or tree branch and another thing altogether to follow through and get up onto the ledge or tree branch.)

Love Crossfit, hated kipping pull ups, when I first started I could do straight 20 pull ups almost strict and the guys there were like "Wow you will be fine with kipping" instead I kept doing strict even if there were tons of it, of course it took me more than 3 times the time of the rest ahahahahaahha

My Wife is a clear example of this nonsense, she can do kipping pull ups but there's no way she can do 5 strict ones..

I struggle to see why they're so different than the concept of a push press or something if your purpose is to efficiently cover volume. I don't do them anymore and wouldn't program them in training (outside of technique work for a crossfit athlete), but I know that I wouldn't have been able to do the 40+ unbroken I did without that technique.... Then again, my strict was solid enough to do a single with 120#. I CERTAINLY wouldn't let anyone use it to get their first pullup. That's just a recipe for shoulder problems.

Then again, my strict was solid enough to do a single with 120#. I CERTAINLY wouldn't let anyone use it to get their first pullup. That's just a recipe for shoulder problems.
It's exactly this. They are not bad when you have a solid strength base and are proficient with strict pullups. Problems start when millions of weekend warriors without a strong base get introduced to them from the beginning.
This happened to me and I'm glad that I was in my early twenties when my body could handle a lot more dumb sh*t without breaking down.

It's exactly this. They are not bad when you have a solid strength base and are proficient with strict pullups. Problems start when millions of weekend warriors without a strong base get introduced to them from the beginning.
This happened to me and I'm glad that I was in my early twenties when my body could handle a lot more dumb sh*t without breaking down.

I’m a middle aged guy, and my experience at a CrossFit box consisted of getting private training over the course of a few months and not taking CrossFit. The trainer worked carefully with me on proper form, listening to my body, etc. While pull ups were not a focus of training, any work done with pull ups was with regular pull ups and not kipping pull ups. Not being in, say, my early twenties like you were, I’m glad I went the route that I did.

Coaching CrossFit, I teach the Pull-up and the Kip to to everyone, but as separate movements.

As long as we're not dogmatic about that. :)

-S-
Sounds like the Popper-Geodel Paradox. o_O

I struggle to see why they're so different than the concept of a push press or something if your purpose is to efficiently cover volume. I don't do them anymore and wouldn't program them in training (outside of technique work for a crossfit athlete), but I know that I wouldn't have been able to do the 40+ unbroken I did without that technique.... Then again, my strict was solid enough to do a single with 120#. I CERTAINLY wouldn't let anyone use it to get their first pullup. That's just a recipe for shoulder problems.
And it's the body's natural reaction anyway if you HAD to get over that bar. I think it's because people learned them the other way around, instead of like how one would teach the Press and becoming strong first.

I struggle to see why they're so different than the concept of a push press...

Kipping Pull Ups and Push Press

Great point.

Both the Kipping Pull Up and Push Press are primarily Power Movements, as are Olympic Weight Lifting Movements.

They are not bad when you have a solid strength base and are proficient with strict pullups.

Strength Is The Foundation Of Power

The foundation of all Power Movements is Maximum Strength.

The Olympic Lifts are Power Movements.

As Dr MIke Stone (formerly with the Olympic Training Center/Colorado Springs) stated in an interview, to get better at the Olympic Lifts (Power) and place higher, American Olympic Lifters need to increase their Maximum Strength.

Power = Force X Acceleration

Since the terms force and strength are often used interchangeably and distance divided by time is the same thing as speed, power can more simply be defined as strength multiplied by speed. Therefore,

Strength x Speed = POWER.

For example, if an arbitrary strength score for an athlete was 2, and the athlete's arbitrary speed score also was 2, the hypothetical power rating would be:

2 x 2 = 4

Doubling strength without altering speed would double power:

4 x 2 = 8

If the same athlete made only a 50 percent gain in strength and an equal gain
in speed, the power rating would be:

3 x 3 = 9" (Brittenham, 1997)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom