all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grinding teeth while training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rumsmike

Level 6 Valued Member
Anybody wear a mouth guard while training?

I just finished a challenging push session from the Total Tension Complex and immediately after noticed that my jaw was tight and suspect I may have been grinding my teeth while applying so much tension. I wear a mouth guard at night and am wondering if I should also wear one while I work out because I'd rather focus on technique than what my jaw is doing.

I know there's been some research into the benefits for weightlifting (with mixed results) but I'm just trying to avoid the dentist, not get any performance boost.

If you're clenching your jaw, you might benefit from some focus on breathing. Sounds like you might be holding your breath a lot.

Focus on keeping tension out of face and neck - expression "impassive", as Pavel says....

So try not to do this with my face and neck?
Right. When things get very heavy, sometimes it happens, but it's good to try to do what @Anna C suggests, keep the tension out of your face and neck. It's OK not to want to focus on what your face and neck are doing, but do what you need, and if you need to focus on that some, then do it.

-S-

So try not to do this with my face and neck? View attachment 11925This is literally the only photo shown on the Total Tension Complex program page. Haha in all seriousness I did feel a bit like this today so I'll focus on that next time. Thanks @Anna C
I agree with the idea of keeping tension out of the jaw during athletic activity, but I think this gent is dbl. pressing beasts, which could warrant mean mugging.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies folks. I can report that during today's session I caught myself grimacing a couple of times and when I relaxed my neck and face the next rep or two actually felt easier. I suppose I was wasting wattage on body parts that didn't actually contribute to the lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom