all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grip & Core?!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My grip has definitely come along from doing lots of snatches heavy in sets of 3-5 in the past few months. Occasionally, very heavy one handed swings mixed in have been synergistic.

One favourite for variety/strength/grind day as of late has been a bent press to cook drill. I’m always humbled by how little grip I have left by the time I get to the suitcase carry.

If I had to add a couple more, I’d suggest one handed hangs for grip and reps of the getup roll to elbow for abs.

Actually as far as grip gluteus and abs go you’d probably be fine just doing snatches and rollouts? You could vary the weight a bit and get some conditioning too.

Hello,

To get some variety, while still working on conditioning, can it be worth doing to do loaded carries (at least 1/2 bdw left + at least 1/2 bdw right) and swings on alternate days ?

If so, what would be a good "protocol" for loaded carries ?

S&S standard is 5 minutes for the swings. I just found this D. John's article about 5 minutes loaded carries:
Tip: Do the Farmer's Walk Challenge | T Nation

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Watched Pavels video on the fastest way to get stronger.

Grip and Core.

What is everyones opinion with this?

I'm a bouncer, so grip is paramount. Especially at 68kg. But I've don't this for years.

For me I'm big on Captains of Crush. Anyone elses advices?

I think swings have more effect than coc grippers.

I use coc grippers to test my grip only. And i have closed 2.5 with right and 2 .0 with left wihout training with grippers. Im 5.7 (1.67m) at 64 .5 kg and have relative small hands :(

My vote would go to 2hand swings. For grip and core. Also taking into consideration they are easier than 1hs and snatches to perform and can be loaded heavier too.

Grip strength as noted many times on this forum, is a multifaceted affair. Grippers while convenient, only develop or test one small aspect of it. Swings and snatches can be worthy grip developers too, and they have the benefit of working on multiple other strength aspects.

Simply hang on a bar for time on a bar with packed shoulders. Full body exercise. It also nicely decompresses the spine. If you can hang more than a minute then wrap towels around the bar and grasp them to hold on (Convict conditioning 2). Hanging leg raises Pavel wrote a whole short book on them I have. Kill two birds with one stone. Fingertip pushups to counteract claw grip. You can start from a wall slowly and build up the tolerance. Works extension of the fingers to complement gripping.

If you have a light KB, grab it per a bottom's up hold and just extend it straight out in front of you to full length of your arm, palm's up - supinated.

Slowly roll through pronation as you move the arm till its pointing out from your side, reverse/repeat. this works grip and core tho the shoulder tends to be the limiting factor.

Grab moderate weight barbell plate or KB by the horns and extend straight out in front of you - steering wheel holds.

One handed towel swings, 1H rows with a towel

Hot potatoes with a moderate weight and bit of extra lean are almost nausea inducing for the amount of core activation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom