all posts post new thread

Old Forum Grip strength, need advice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BCman

Level 6 Valued Member
I have used CC2 for grip strength a little bit, but was wondering if getting captians of crush would be better?  I'm a martial artist, and would like to get alot stronger hands.  Would like to here what some of you do to train your grip.

Thanks Al

Hi Allan

I personally am using the Captains of Crush (#1) and I love em. Can really feel an improvement in my grip strength.

I guess it depends on what part of your hands you want stronger. Do you want improved grip? Improved crushing? So many variations of hand training...

I use the CoC for grip improvement and overall hand strength. Once I can close the #1 fully numerous times, I plan to but a #2.

You can also do things like farmer's walks or bottoms up with kettlebells.

here's a crazy idea... does your martial art use a gi? if so, use your gi for "towel chins" (they're gi chins now) and CC2 grip progressions.

My martial art is okinawan karate.   So I would say striking and grappling.

It's the grappling where I find I'm lacking grip strength.  I just ordered some COCs a few hours ago.  Thanks for the replies.  I've always had a weak grip, but never really trained the grip directly.I use to do wrist curls back in the 90's, got somewhat stronger, but never did a dam thing for my grip strength.

Allan, for punching you need strong crush grip and wrists. COC work well, so do bottom-up kettlebell drills.  Plus, work up to a couple of reps in the one-arm pushup on the seiken—this will improve your punching power more than most exercises.  High rep two arm pushups on seiken do not have that effect.

For grappling do heavy one-arm kettlebell swings and/or rope climbing.

Pavel, thank you very much.

As for the heavy kettlebell swings, I only have a 24kg bell. As it happens I am building a fast rope for climbing.  Rope climbing is something I've wanted to do for years, and it seems a natural fit with Kettlebells.

Al

Al, soap up your hand or wear an oven mitten for your one-arm swings. Do it outside because you will be dropping the bell a lot. Do not slow down to relieve your grip.

cool thread sound like fun exercises.  id love to get into mma some years down the road and do that stuff.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'll post in the summer, my results and experience.

Allan,

If you do go with the COC grippers (I don't know what you are able to close right now and what you ordered) - remember that there will be a point of diminishing returns.  I trained a bit of Gojo Ryu when I was a teenager and I know it would've been very different if I had the grip strength I possess as an adult (certified COC #3). 

That being said, I don't believe anyone needs to work beyond no set closing a COC #2 (left and right hand) to have "enough" strength in their hands for whatever non-grappling-centered martial art they train.  If you spend the time training to get beyond the #2 (no set) level it will quickly lead to spending more and more time working on getting 10% stronger - while most likely spending 50% more time trying to get 10% stronger on something that at the #2 level is already well beyond the average grip strength. 

I wrote an article for the USAWA site regarding developing the specific type of grip strength (more closely simulating grabbing a wrist) and I have never found an exercise that builds up the strength in the ring and pinky fingers to really put the "finishing touches" on a wrist crushing grip.  The article is short and sweet.  And you will get very noticeable results from working the exercises in it hard.  Your sparring partners (and especially grappling partners) will comment on your increased grip in a few weeks and 8 weeks later you may very well be unrecognizable in terms of ability to crush a wrist. 

http://www.usawa.com/ring-and-pinky-thick-bar-deadlift-farmers-drag/

That is supposed to say "I have never found an exercise that builds up the strength in the ring and pinky fingers" better..."

I like what Pavel wrote about using soap and oven mitts when training with the kettlebells too.

You can also pour cooking oil (or completely submerge the gripper by lying it flat in a bowl) over the gripper handles and then no set close it.  Makes it a lot harder for most people.  Here's a #3 no set close - done after pouring cooking oil over the handles and then rubbing it in for good measure - video from 3 years ago:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YZOF2BYguDM 

Just something to add a bit of variety and challenge you in a different way.

Thanks Ben for the tips.  I ordered the 1, 1.5, and 2 COC.  I've got these cheap everlast grippers, and when i can close them fifty times in a row, you know there a joke.

Al

Yorkshirecomrade, you're welcome.  Glad to hear you'll put the tips to use.  Are you going to do the ring and pinky drags/lifts?   

Allan, any time man.  Let us know how you progress on the grippers.  They're a lot of fun.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom