all posts post new thread

Old Forum Grip strength training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

aputschoegl

First Post
After listening to Pavel on the Tim Ferriss Podcast I wanted to start doing grip strength training to increase overall strength.  I have started with 100 lbs of resistance but found that it's much easier with my right hand compared to left.  Any suggestions on how to go forward with this?  Should I wait until left catches up with right and do the same number of reps on each side and then move up in resistance once they feel even?  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

Adam, pretty funny - I listened to the same podcast and immediately ordered 100 lb grips as well.  Haven't gotten them yet though.  I'm no expert, but it seems to me that Strongfirst is quite accepting of one side of the body being stronger (i.e. the strong side and the stronger side).  Maybe buying a stronger grip for your right hand would be the way to go instead of waiting for the left hand to catch up to the right one.

Hi!

Do you practice the basic tension techniques for increased strength? If not, read Pavel's The Naked Worrior or Power to the People!.

My experience is that the coordination of the stronger side is more developed which results in an involuntary partial tension technique on that side. Adding tension voluntary and practicing the coordination and the skill to tense your muscles harder will probably help even out the difference between your right and left side.

Best regards, Henke in Sweden

Adam-  I listened to the same podcast and shortly after got an ironmind zenith gripper #1 and a couple others too.

http://www.ironmind-store.com/Zenith-1-Fitness-Gripper/productinfo/1476/

On the standard Capt of Crush #1 I tested myself and can get 2.5 closes on my right and almost 1 on my left.

So, I decided to "Grease the Groove" with the Zenith #1 and usually do 2 or 3 on my right and 1 or 2 on my left a bunch of times during the day.  I try to do half of what I could do as Pavel said in the Podcast.  Just my approach for the last couple weeks.  I've not retested Capt #1 yet but will probably do in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Any suggestions about when to move up in weight?  I'm able to max out at 20 on the right and 14 on the left.  Thanks>

"Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Any suggestions about when to move up in weight?  I’m able to max out at 20 on the right and 14 on the left.  Thanks>" -Adam Putschoegl
Adam, a big part in deciding when to move up in weight is simply what your goal is.  Do you want to develop a bone-crushing grip?  Move up in weight then.  Do you want to do dozens and dozens of reps throughout the day to develop strength endurance?  In that case, you could stay with the same gripper for quite a while.
If money is tight, but you still want to get stronger, it's a simple matter to just move your hand closer to the spring on a torsion spring gripper to decrease the leverage - which makes it harder.  The closer to the spring your hand gets, the harder it's going to feel to shut it.
Another cheap option (about $1) is to use a small hoseclamp and bind the spring with it.  I could make a short video showing it if my explanation is not clear enough.  But it's simply using a hoseclamp to make the gripper harder by tightening the hoseclamp down onto the spring.  Loop the hoseclamp through the spring and then tighten it down with a wrench.  Make it pretty tight.  Not so tight that you feel like the wrench is going to break (lol) or the spring.  But pretty tight.  It might surprise you how much harder this simple option makes a gripper.
A third option to make a gripper (one that has become "too easy") harder is to use less fingers to close it.  You can turn a gripper upside down and use only your ring and pinky fingers to close it.  The ring and pinky fingers are a common weak link in overall grip strength.  I used to like closing grippers with my index and middle fingers.  Keep in mind, it was only with grippers that were quite a bit easier than my max strength with the entire hand.  My best 2 finger (index and middle) close was the #2.5 some years back when I didn't have a toddler siphoning my training time away from grip and general training, haha.  If you're wanting to know what's a good goal for 2 finger closes (index and middle) - I consider a #1 close to be enough to show up the vast majority of people you will come into contact with in a normal setting.  Normal meaning, an office or most workplaces.  Now, if you are a strength coach in the NFL, the #1 most likely won't be safe even with 2 fingers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom