all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grip strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

Recently grip strength has become a limiting factor for some exercises mainly RDL due to the (relatively) extended period of time under tension.

I am tempted to use straps, but also want to increase my grip strength.

What are your go to exercises for grip?

I use/do:
  • Rope Hangs
  • Fat Grip Hangs
  • Fat Grip Deadlift
  • Fat Grip Loaded Carries
  • Heavy Grippers
  • Sledge Hammer
  • Pinch Grip Exercises, also as Loader Carries
  • Fingers Extensions
  • Fingertips Push-ups
  • Scrunching the pages of a newspaper
... all the time. I practice grip Strength every day with occasional off day.

GTG style hangs are the easiest grip strength training for me.

I am going to progress to one arm hangs, and I simply started playing with raising my a few of my fingers from one hand from time to time for short periods, a very easy way to progress.

Farmer's carries (plates in pinch grip, KBs, DBs)
Specific pinch grip training with wider grip (only 1 finger pad in contact with object)
Hangs on a bar, a branch or ledge of varied thickness/width

I think variety helps a lot with developing a well rounded grip strength

I did not do any variety so I can’t comment on it but I would not be surprised if it is the case.

Just to add to the “variety” bottoms up KB carry might be interesting. I did only a few times, thinking now, it might train “grip” in a different way than hangs… no experience just an idea.

Grip is more complex than most people think, I would recommend searching the internet for a comprehensive article.
I recommend loaded carries and hanging for time to build up the ligaments to start a foundation. Also, if grip is a main goal, then you can stick with an overhand grip and do reps rather than add weight and straps. It will lay a solid foundation for the future. If you are doing RDLs then PRs are probably not your main goal. There is accessory work such as hamstring exercises that can help you to add weight while maintaining the overhand grip. Check out towel grip.

Recently grip strength has become a limiting factor for some exercises mainly RDL due to the (relatively) extended period of time under tension.

I am tempted to use straps, but also want to increase my grip strength.

What are your go to exercises for grip?
Lots of people enjoy grip work as its own field of training, or need it for a sport-specific purpose (such as climbing), and I'm sure some have success with supplemental grip training for other lifts.

But in my experience, grip strength is very specific to the activity, and if you're trying to increase grip strength for an activity that is already very grip intensive, then piling on more isolated grip training is more often than not ineffective at best and counterproductive at worst.

For instance, I do a lot of KB ballistics and clubbell swinging, where grip is often a limiting factor (on top of plenty of pullups and rows), and I would not recommend supplemental grip training for either. Not only is the activity itself the best and most specific grip training for those activities, but the fresher my grip is, the more of it I can do. To me, the best way to increase my grip strength and endurance for snatches and mills is more snatches and mills.

If you were a powerlifter having trouble holding onto weights you know you're strong enough to pull, okay, maybe some rack holds would be in order.

But for RDLs I'd just use straps and not think twice about it, especially if you're already doing KB ballistics, regular DLs or other training that taxes (and develops) the grip.

There's no moral dimension to using straps -- although there may be political, religious and other ideological dimensions ;-).

Last edited:
I'd note that there's a difference between grip "strength" (1RM deadlift territory, max effort for a few seconds) and grip "endurance" (SFG snatch test territory, sub max effort for longer duration). For me, grip endurance is more important because it relates more to real life where the need for repeated sub max efforts is far more frequent than the other. This should by no means be interpreted as me saying that a good deadlift (at least 2x body weight) isn't essential. It is.

I recommend you work one-arm swings and snatches with the kettlebell. In addition to them improving your grip, they will also likely improve your conditioning, so they have a dual purpose, as opposed to more "grip specific" exercises. Like all things SF, wave the load and volume. If you're not sure how to do that yourself, you can always find a coach to program for you or try the 033 or 044 Strong Endurance programs.

Do the RDLs without straps as long as you can. Then add straps for the rest. With time, the time with straps will go down.

My grip strength has gone up since getting my AGGRO 3X bar.

Or at least it seems that way, probably because the knurl is so aggressive it's just easier to pull heavy.

I'd note that there's a difference between grip "strength" (1RM deadlift territory, max effort for a few seconds) and grip "endurance" (SFG snatch test territory, sub max effort for longer duration). For me, grip endurance is more important because it relates more to real life where the need for repeated sub max efforts is far more frequent than the other.
I noticed that when I started prepping for my SFG. Initially my snatch limiter was my grip, not my lungs or anything else. I was very surprised, I never had a “weak grip” issue before. It caught up quick enough tho and my lungs took their rightful place as limiter, and balance was restored in the world.

On reddit griptraining has an excellent wiki that covers everything you might want to learn on grip. I've been doing wrist & rev wrist curls and they've helped a lot to go heavier on swings and to increase endurance as well. Note I'm only at 12-16kg for the endurance swings and 40kg for the heavy swings (@ 62kg bw)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom