all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grip Strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

morrisda

Level 2 Valued Member
All

I am 51 yrs old, and although a decent High School athlete (30 yrs ago), I just started lifting weights again in Jan. I am making good progress, for example I started with basically an empty bar and now I am deadlifting about 325. All lifts are progressing.

My issue is my grip strength or lack there of is catching up with me.

Many of the exercises I do require me to utilize my grip already, but I think I need to do some more to strengthen grip without over training grip.

I do have some of the Captains of Crush grippers.

What recommendations do you all have to incorporate some specific grip trining into my lifting.

Dan

Dan, welcome to StrongFirst!

There are many approaches you could take. If you look at what we teach here, you'll find we often recommend a combination of pure strength and strength-endurance work.

In my experience, grip benefits from this combination. I would add kettlebell swings to your program. You may also attack the problem with the barbell in your hands. For your deadlift, try doing some lockout holds - when you get to the top of your DL, just hang out there for a few seconds, crushing the bar. You can work this into your regular DL training as long as the weights don't place you near your grip limit, e.g., if you're doing sets of 5, just hold the final rep for a few seconds at lockout before you put the bar down.

My experience has been that, when my DL grip is my limiting factor, kettlebell swings will help me break through - and also the converse, that when I'm having trouble holding onto my swings, some heavy deadlift training will help me.

Best of luck to you - please report back on what you decide to try and how it works for you.

-S-

I would agree with Steve on the kettlebell swings and deadlift lockouts. If you have access to a rack, you might also try heavier lockouts held for time, since you can pull from above the knee.

Also, I like grippers, but don't believe they're much help for this type of grip strength (deadlifts). They're better for crushing rather than supporting grip.

Jason,

What if one was to do long holds on the grippers to increase supporting grip strength and grip endurance?

I would think doing holds with the grippers would be more applicable to deadlift grip strength than the normal use for grippers (simply trying to close stronger grippers). But I still think that deadlift holds would give a stronger carryover.

That said - I'm not a grip pro or anything, just reading and some experience. Though I'll say that I was more "into" grip training several years ago. A bit less so these days.

Thanks all. I am going to start KB Swings 2-3 times a week. I will also try the DL holds, I think both are excellent ideas.

Dan

What grip are you using for your deads? How many reps per set? Is it limiting your 1RM or a set of 5 for example?

Hi Dan

I have a complete grip strength training program for download here:

http://prevost-training.blogspot.com/2014/05/tactical-grip-training.html

Grip strength is often under rated. For tactical athletes we consider it much more important than bench press strength.

Bill

I have been using a trap bar for my deads. I typically keeps reps at 5 or so and at the last rep or 2 the grip is affected. I think I could actually lift a little more on 1RM but grip holding me back.

Please keep in mind I am a novice, my 1RM is around 325

Mprevost

Thanks I will take a look.

Understood. Just do sets of 5 and let your grip develop as you add weight to the bar. Don't worry about how it may or may not be effecting your 1RM. There's utterly no point in even testing a trap bar 1RM. Hell, there's rarely a time when it's actually necessary to test your 1RM even in the competition lifts.

Why are you using a trap bar by the way?

Bill

When I first started my mobility was not where it needed to be, plus I like to change it up.

Bill Been, seen this yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b8lNU5HLtmk

-S-

You might also consider thick bar work.They do sell a product called thick gripz that slide over a regular diameter bar if you don't have access to a 2"thick bar.
As mentioned there are many types of grip strength and the one your more concerned with is supportive grip strength,holding on to bar,dumbbells or even hanging from a pull up bar.Grippers can help but i personally don't feel its the best grip work for deadlifts.Also a hook grip could help you but can be painful.

Great points, Steve.

I was gonna mention the hook grip as it seems to be gaining wider use as competitors have started to worry about mixed grip. The fact that Brad Gillingham pulled 880 using the hook has added fuel to the fire. I have been able to hook all my warmup sets up to 225, but haven't yet "braved" a work set using it.

"All

I am 51 yrs old, and although a decent High School athlete (30 yrs ago), I just started lifting weights again in Jan. I am making good progress, for example I started with basically an empty bar and now I am deadlifting about 325. All lifts are progressing.

My issue is my grip strength or lack there of is catching up with me.

Many of the exercises I do require me to utilize my grip already, but I think I need to do some more to strengthen grip without over training grip.

I do have some of the Captains of Crush grippers.

What recommendations do you all have to incorporate some specific grip trining into my lifting.

Dan" -Dan Morrison

Hi Dan. What I will say is this: Grippers are underrated. When you use them "right" - you can get some really remarkable WTH returns on your investment. That being said, for the job you have for them (deadlift more weight), they are not the best tool for the job.

I'd also recommend the hook grip. Use it on all your warmup sets of deadlift. And use it on a bunch of other exercises. Lat pulldowns. Bent rows. Curls. Seriously, just getting used to the pressure is only part of the equation. Learning how to actively tighten (flex) your grip around your thumb (when it is hook gripped) is a whole different ballgame with the hook grip.

You can get a bigger bang for your buck on the hook grip learning curve by using it on explosive movements. Like clean pull and snatch pull with lighter weight than you would normally use. But concentrate on moving the bar with terrific speed.

Go the opposite route sometimes and do heavy one hand deadlifts with a hook grip. It is possible to do assisted negative hook gripped one hand deadlifts too, if you have a back of steel. Otherwise stay away from these. This last exercise is one that isn't talked about much. Because they are brutal. But I helped a former co-worker train for the Dinnie Stones with this method. I wrote an article on this little known exercise - and sold it - to a well known fitness mag. They never published it though, and so I won't recreate the article here or elsewhere. The increase in hook grip strength he made was amazing though. And I'm not easily amazed by any grip stuff. He got so strong after 16 weeks on my program that he was literally worried about his hands tearing off at the wrist. Or his thumb completely ripping free from his hand.

All these fancy interventions to fix a patience problem... this is how the fitness industry ended up in the current situation.

Dan, simply grab the tool your using tightly, and with your fingers, not your palm. Your grip will increase in strength as time goes by. Patience...

Did not read through all post so forgive me if this was already mentioned...
I would add Bottoms Up Cleans, Bottoms Up Carries into your training to increase grip strength. You could also do weighted Pullup or weighted hangs.

I've built some wicked tools to develop grip strength.

The first were vertical handles that I do my pullups and levers on sometimes. With a vertical grip if you lose grip you hit the ground, so it gives you extra incentive to hang on tight.

Then I built a thick pullup bar which helped a lot and then a set of thick grip vertical handles (60mm)

My latest grip torture devices are just larger pieces of PVC pipe that slide over the pullup bar - one for each hand so you can't cheat with the strength of your dominant hand. The pipe that fits over the top of the pullup bar can rotate, so if you don't keep your wrists fixed the pipe rolls & it slips out of your hand. The wrist flexors get an awesome workout at the same time as the grip.

The largest pipes I'm using are 69 mm OD and it's the toughest grip exercise I've ever done. 4 unweighted pullups is my PB with it. On the bar they fit on (60mm) I can do 4 reps with a 32 kg bell and not max out. I also made a set of smaller diameter PVC handles (56 mm OD) to slip over my 1 1/2 inch bar and they are very challenging as well. I can only do about 3 reps + 16 kg with them where I can do 8-10 reps with that weight on the bar they fit over.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom