all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grip training for the 1 hand swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The kettlebell hook grip for swing variations is an open hand support, and the thumb doesn't pinch it just acts as a guide. So I think, what else can we do to simulate and strengthen that hand function:
- KB hook grip, farmers carries, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, hangs
- thumbless hangs, 3, 2, and 1 finger hangs, pull-ups and rows if you can
- Axel and thick grip lifting, open hand support
- barbell finger rolls in front or behind the body, I prefer behind the back
- two hand pinch, one hand pinch, deadlifts, carries, holds, rows, pinches primarily build the thumb, but it is a similar hand posture
- plate stack bent over rows, really build the fingers, Adam Glass staple lift
- grippers are general purpose, no set closes, inverted, braced, choked, negatives, holds, silver bullet, KB racked closes, straight arms at sides, shoulder height, overhead simulating lifting postures, hold a gripper closed with the off hand while doing one arm kettlebell work(great to teach you to generate tension)
- towel, rope, and thick rope are general purpose, hands pull-ups, rows, carries
- I like thumbless thick grip reverse curls, fat grips on an easy curl bar, or using axel if I have it out already, a lot of bang for buck

Mix up low rep strength, with high rep endurance. The swing is mainly endurance.

You can never do too much band hand extensions. Do them as warmup, between sets, or off times.

A good all around grip workout that is easy to implement is:
Untitled Document
Or
Axel deadlifts 3x3
Two hand pinch 3x3
Grippers 3x3
You can change the variations, sets, and reps from there. Good at the end of a practice, or variety day. Also, you could pick one function to work higher volume each day, or multi function exercises.

Just random thought, and experience as it came to me.

Jedd Johnson is the present authority on grip sport, and training. He has a ton of great resource material. John Brookfield, Dennis Rodgers, Adam Glass, Andrew Durniate, and few other I cannot think of right now are also very good

Last edited:
The kettlebell hook grip for swing variations is an open hand support, and the thumb doesn't pinch it just acts as a guide. So I think, what else can we do to simulate and strengthen that hand function:
- KB hook grip, farmers carries, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, hangs
- thumbless hangs, 3, 2, and 1 finger hangs, pull-ups and rows if you can
- Axel and thick grip lifting, open hand support
- barbell finger rolls in front or behind the body, I prefer behind the back
- two hand pinch, one hand pinch, deadlifts, carries, holds, rows, pinches primarily build the thumb, but it is a similar hand posture
- plate stack bent over rows, really build the fingers, Adam Glass staple lift
- grippers are general purpose, no set closes, inverted, braced, choked, negatives, holds, silver bullet, KB racked closes, straight arms at sides, shoulder height, overhead simulating lifting postures, hold a gripper closed with the off hand while doing one arm kettlebell work(great to teach you to generate tension)
- towel, rope, and thick rope are general purpose, hands pull-ups, rows, carries
- I like thumbless thick grip reverse curls, fat grips on an easy curl bar, or using axel if I have it out already, a lot of bang for buck

Mix up low rep strength, with high rep endurance. The swing is mainly endurance.

You can never do too much band hand extensions. Do them as warmup, between sets, or off times.

A good all around grip workout that is easy to implement is:
Untitled Document
Or
Axel deadlifts 3x3
Two hand pinch 3x3
Grippers 3x3
You can change the variations, sets, and reps from there. Good at the end of a practice, or variety day. Also, you could pick one function to work higher volume each day, or multi function exercises.

Just random thought, and experience as it came to me.

Jedd Johnson is the present authority on grip sport, and training. He has a ton of great resource material. John Brookfield, Dennis Rodgers, Adam Glass, Andrew Durniate, and few other I cannot think of right now are also very good

That's a lot to keep me busy and some good references for material. Thanks for sharing things you've picked up over the years.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom