all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gripper Training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I got my first Captains of Crush gripper yesterday, the 'Sport' model.

No specific goal in mind -- it just gives me something to do while sitting in Zoom meetings.

Other than playing with some cheap sporting goods store grippers as a teen, I haven't done any dedicated gripper training before.

Any suggestions or recommendations from those experienced in grippers?

I don't suppose there are any special Strongfirst methods for grippers....

Mechanically breathing doesn't seem to help much.

(Although clenching my butt does)

Grippers are fine for GTG applications... with the caveat that you can’t just be idly squeezing away while doing something else. (No more so than one would do TGU or a barbell snatch whilst watching TV)
CoC are a great product.
Grippers are only a small component of serious grip training. =

Grippers are fine for GTG applications... with the caveat that you can’t just be idly squeezing away while doing something else. (No more so than one would do TGU or a barbell snatch whilst watching TV)
CoC are a great product.
Grippers are only a small component of serious grip training. =

Is there a progression?

Or just do a set on each hand a few times throughout the day?

At first I was going to say my hands are still fatigued from playing with it earlier today, but then I remembered I just did 4 reps of farmer's walks before dinner...

Is there a progression?

At first I was going to say my hands are still fatigued from playing with it earlier today, but then I remembered I just did 4 reps of farmer's walks before dinner...

You can overdo it and injure yourself quickly with grippers.

If you want to go down the gripper rabbit hole, the gripboard.com is the place to hang out. There are lots of different approaches. Low volume, high volume, heavy singles, holds for time, beyond the range training, negatives, strap holds, choked grippers, etc.

15-25 singles daily spaced out 5-6 days a week. Got me to the #3 in about 5 months starting with a #1. Has worked for others as well.

Were you already doing grip training?

I thought the #1 was already pretty hard, according to their description.

Is there a progression?

Well the farmers walks (especially if you have large diameter handles) will certainly tax your grip.
What I do for GTG is a bit like what @Wes P does. Heavy singles throughout the day. I will do a few reps with a lighter unit first however. But bear in mind that I usually do this as a part of a GTG ‘grip day’, where I will also use a wide variety of implements and techniques in a GTG fashion. I don’t always specifically train my grip, but when I do I only do one or two days a week.
In fact I think today will be grip day...

will also use a wide variety of implements and techniques

tenor.gif

389b0b7165393d50918e26d83b369d59.jpg

Were you already doing grip training?

I thought the #1 was already pretty hard, according to their description.

Nope. Just a skinny high school wrestler at the time. My buddy bought a #1 and was like "check this out", immediately after that I bought my own #1 and then a #2 a month or so later.

I'd just go ahead and buy a #1 if you have a sport or trainer, you're gonna end up buying a bunch more later anyway. They are addicting

Last edited:
I'd do 3 to 6 second holds a couple times throughout the day whenever I feel like it.
In my case since I don't have a gripper I just use a large rock and pick it up with one hand.

I’ve been working with grippers for the past couple months and the biggest thing I learned was technique. There are a ton of great videos on that. Juji and Tom have a few good ones with the guys from diesel crew.

generally my programming is wavy. Monday light work up to a medium set of five and back down with sets of five. Wednesday work up to same set but add in more volume Saturday work up to a heavy triple and add a lot of volume

it got me up to the number 2 pretty quick.

but like others have said, you need some extra work for good grip. Pinch blocks are fun as are farmers carries.

I’ve been working with grippers for the past couple months and the biggest thing I learned was technique. There are a ton of great videos on that. Juji and Tom have a few good ones with the guys from diesel crew.

generally my programming is wavy. Monday light work up to a medium set of five and back down with sets of five. Wednesday work up to same set but add in more volume Saturday work up to a heavy triple and add a lot of volume

it got me up to the number 2 pretty quick.

but like others have said, you need some extra work for good grip. Pinch blocks are fun as are farmers carries.

Already doing farmer's walks.

Technique?

I thought you just squeezed....

Already doing farmer's walks.

Technique?

I thought you just squeezed....
Definitely put me in the "just grit my teeth and squeeze" camp for technique. Might need to take a look at some of those resources.

You should improve pretty quickly with the other grip work in your training. One arm swings, hangs, and carries got me to the #1 and that along with a few days a week of easy singles got me to #2.

I have been using COC grippers for years and made steady progress. But 15 + years ago got some guidance from Pavel, which included performing 3-5 singles throughout the day, 5-7 days a week.
I would rotate my goal gripper and an easier gripper and a harder gripper.
So # 2 over crushes, # 3 near closes and eccentric focus #4 partials (we never had 2.5’s etc then)
The outcome was 20 reps with the # 2 and 2 reps with the # 3 and 2 thirds closed with the number 4.
A few learning over the years...
1) Get some finger extensor bands to get balance with all the crushing work
2) Watch the elbows and keep the volume low
3) Strengthen the little finger
4) Back off when you have cns fatique
Enjoy it ?

Extensor bands for sure. The bands off of broccoli stalks won’t cut it. I keep a 1.5 and 2 at my desk for daily reps and train them based on feel. Agree on the pinkies and elbows. Still working towards a no-set close on the #3.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom