all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Grooming for bald guys

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
Strong bald guys: Do you wet shave your head, dry shave or something else?

I'm looking to keep (what's left of) my hair as short as possible but twice-weekly clipper cuts are leaving me too fuzzy most of the time and wet-shaving takes a long time (for me, anyway). Anyone have any advice for keeping a smooth, tidy dome?

I used an electric razor off and on based on the situation. I would give the dome a once over at least every third day, every other day for best results. The trick with an electric is that it is easy to miss a spot or two and end up with a rogue patch here or there, which is why I would recommend every other day if you go that route. Also, quality electric is needed for best results and longevity, you don't need a high end Braun, but skip the $15 special.

A good wet shave every third day was my preferred method, less irritation and I could get it done faster than with the electric.

I wet shave every three days. In between I use an electric razor in the morning and at night. Takes me 5 minutes twice a day. I’ve been doing this for about 10 years.

I was doing fine but almost as soon as I turned 30 (now 32.5), a bald patch is growing in the back/crown, and I'm noticing the front thinning (and the top sides are "retreating"). I think I only have a few years left of hair in front/on top.

My dad has the "power donut" going, but I think I want to go shorter but not totally bald when the time comes.

The trick is knowing when "the moment" has come. I've given my wife orders to be honest about when it's time for me to start keeping it buzzed - I don't want to desperately hang on to the top hair longer than I really should. My hair has always been thin, and unfortunately I can barely grow facial hair, so I can't complement a short/bald dome with a thick beard.

@Sean M It's weird, I'm 33 and my 66-year-old father has more hair than me! Much as I do enjoy the term 'power donut', I prefer the term 'Hippocratic wreath' after Hippocrates. I don't think I would ever wear my hair that way though.

You are indeed wise to avoid the combover; it sneaks up on you: The last time I had my hair at any appreciable length, I found myself feeling the need to 'arrange' it ever so slightly to try to obscure some of the thinner areas. It didn't take me long to realise that this is exactly how a combover starts and I decided it was time to buzz it down to a grade 1.

I immediately felt as though I looked absolutely terrible but my girlfriend at the time either liked it a lot or was at least kind enough to give me the impression that she did and I got used to it.

Typically, the beard develops as the head hair diminishes, so just be patient and you'll be rocking some kind of face fuzz before long.

I've got a brilliant set of Wahl clippers and use the closest (number 0.5) guard to trim my head and face about every third day, for that permanently unshaven look

Started getting thin hair in my early 20's, shaved my head when I was 23, have had the same haircut since. :cool:

I use a straight razor that belonged to the grand father of my sisters husband. Made in Solingen. Quality lasts... You do need a whet stone and a strop though.
I use a homemade lavender soap with a badger hair brush. Lasts forever, me and my mom makes some soap once a year. Foams really well, is biodegradable and free from plastics.
I do "cheat" and after a pass with the straight razor I use a cheap single use safety razor around my ears. Having shaved with a straight razor before the single use razors last almost a month...

The last couple of years I've had shaved head and face with a small goatee in the summer and just letting it grow during winter. My "winter fur". :rolleyes:

Just had my head wet shaved at a local Turkish barber shop after making a bit of a mess of it trying to do it myself. It's astonishingly smooth although I can't see it becoming a regular thing as it's rather expensive. The barber did shape up my beard and singe my ear hair(!) as well so I'm feeling fairly spruced-up.

I'll probably stick to buzzing my head with my clippers with no guard on for a while and maybe invest in an electic razor if I really need to have it shorter.

I shave it almost everyday. I find it easier than buzzing it.

I love it, i really don't miss my hair. Just get used to being called Dr. Evil.

its funny just got my license renewed yesterday.... When I was 21, I had hair.... 26, much doesn't grow up there.

The only thing that has bothered me about balding is that, your body has the ability to make changes you have NO control over and it made me realize aging is a real thing.

use a straight razor that belonged to the grand father of my sisters husband. Made in Solingen. Quality lasts... You do need a whet stone and a strop though.
I use a homemade lavender soap with a badger hair brush. Lasts forever, me and my mom makes some soap once a year. Foams really well, is biodegradable and free from plastics.
This sounds amazing. I started with clippers, and quickly transitioned to a wet shave twice weekly. Homemade lavender soap? A must try...(y)

I miss the heck out of my hair.View attachment 8463
I kind of miss that bass guitar too...
one of those is replaceable....:D

honestly.. i'm 26. Been balding since my early 20s... What bothers me is how hairy my ears and nose are... I could care less about the hair on my head, its everywhere else. I have hair where it shouldn't be and no hair where it should be.

one of those is replaceable....:D

honestly.. i'm 26. Been balding since my early 20s... What bothers me is how hairy my ears and nose are... I could care less about the hair on my head, its everywhere else. I have hair where it shouldn't be and no hair where it should be.
Very similar here. You get used to trimming it one or twice a week, if you remember.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom