all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG and Strength training at the same time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Naxion

First Post
I'm going to do my conscription in some months and I want to increase my push up count.During the week I also want to progress in One Arm push ups by doing archer and some plyo push ups as well,is that considered overtraining?

Hello,

First, Welcome on StrongFirst !

How many PU can you do at the moment ?

some plyo push ups as well
I do not think they are very necessary to improve your PU number. They have very specific uses: explosivity in MA, hypertrophy (when properly programmed with other contraction regimen)

Plus, doing them with perfect form require more strength than it appears. Indeed, it requires a great core / abs work to maintain a straight position and not bending / arching back and lumbars.

want to progress in One Arm push ups by doing archer
Getting good at strict OAPU will lead you to a good number of standard PU, IMO. So maybe you could focus on doing them and their progression. OAPU strongly engage lats and core.

IMO, you would progress far faster than first focusing on standard PU. Then, PU with feet elevated. Then, negative PU. Then partial PU. Then full OAPU.

Finally, GTG is based on the principle of splitting the sets throughout the day. So, as long as you feel fresh, then work on your moves. As soon as you feel tired, sore or whatever, it is the body signal to stop the training for the day.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I forgot to add that I can currently do at least 30 normal PU and,which means I need to do around 15 reps with gtg.Also,I dont do plyos to increase my rep count,I just want to mix a little bit of power training in my workouts.Now,do I need to do GTG or can I just increase reps with just training harder variations?

Hello,

do I need to do GTG or can I just increase reps with just training harder variations?
GTG is a strategy, harder variation is another.

Harder variation will naturally tend to make your rep number increase. That is a solid option, very simple to set up : x sets of y reps, daily or so.

GTG will also work. However, some folks have difficulties to set this system up because of their schedule. That is the main "issue" with GTG.

If you have to increase your rep number in a minimum time, I would go for the harder variation option. From my experience, I progress faster with set / rep. I used pure GTG to get the pistol. It tooks my very long. I know some people who got it far faster using a standard rep / set.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Harder variation will help for sure as you become stronger your regular pushups will feel easier, however I think you will need some higher volume training to increase to this high of numbers. I would think to build a bit more strength endurance to continuing building the numbers.

OAPU are very neurologically fatiguing so you could add these in 1-2 days per week and still do high volume sets/reps 2 x week also.

Keep track of your program and re-test your max every 4 weeks or so and adjust your program accordingly.

Hello,

@Naxion
Building volume to firstly get endurance (and of course strength) is never a waste of time. To give you an example (amon many others), here is the link of thread about push up progression:
OAOLPU progression method?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom