all posts post new thread

Barbell GTG, barbell and high reps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

arzu

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello everyone. I've tried GTG method several times with various exercises and I really liked the philosophy behind it. I would like to improve my conditioning and strength. I like the barbell high pull with high reps because the whole feeling in my posterior chain and upper back. I also like zercher squat and rows. How would you integrate those three in a GTG way? I was thinking about doing them altogether in a complex through the day and progressing in reps. How would you tackle all of that? Would you go with one exercise at a time? Thanks in advice!!

GTG...How would you integrate those three in a GTG way?
GTG

GTG is about Technique and Neural development.

With novice lifter, increases in strength initially occur from the development of the nervous system.

"There have been many studies performed with regards to these neural changes, with one study noting a 30% increase in strength in its untrained clients in the first 2 months of training, with no accompanying increase in muscle fiber size (hypertrophy)." Source: Exercise Physiology – What happens to my body when I first perform strength training? - WellFit Personal Training.

It is also a key factor for advance lifter, as well.

It is best developed with lower repetition and higher loads.

A good article on this is...

Greasing The Grove: How To Make It Work For You

"...It is about building up the neurological pathway of lifting heavy weight."

"Greasing the groove methods provide a great way to build the neurological skill to move heavy objects. It is not a hypertrophy type of program, but rather a way to build the muscle firing patterns for a max effort."

With that in mind, let look how to develop Technique and Neurological Skill

Technique Training

1) Performing an Exercise with a Load of 80% or more of a 1 Repetition Max

Loads of around 70% can be performed at time. However, they are not as effective as the use of heavy training load; load of 80% plus.

2) :Low Repetition Sets; 1-3 Repetition Per Set

3) Performing GTG Technique Training at the beginning of a training session, when you are fresh.

4) Taking long Rest Periods between GTG Technique Sets.

5) Stopping the GTG Technique Training Exercise once fatigue set in. Continuing to perform an exercise in a fatigued state produces poor technique. Also, the muscle firing sequence changes.

Would you go with one exercise at a time?

"If you chase two rabbits at the same time both are going to get away."

In other word, you need to focus on GTG Technique Training, "One exercise at at time."

Last edited:
GTG

GTG is about Technique and Neural development.

With novice lifter, increases in strength initially occur from the development of the nervous system. It also a key factor for advance lifter, as well.

It is best developed with lower repetition and higher loads.

A good article on this is...

Greasing The Grove: How To Make It Work For You

"Greasing the groove methods provide a great way to build the neurological skill to move heavy objects. It is not a hypertrophy type of program, but rather a way to build the muscle firing patterns for a max effort."

With that in mind, let look how to develop Technique and Neurological Skill

Technique Training

1) Performing an Exercise with a Load of 80% or more of a 1 Repetition Max

Loads of around 70% can be performed at time. However, they are not as effective as the use of heavy training load; load of 80% plus.

2) :Low Repetition Sets; 1-3 Repetition Per Set

3) Performing GTG Technique Training at the beginning of a training session, when you are fresh.

4) Taking long Rest Periods between GTG Technique Sets.

5) Stopping the GTG Technique Training Exercise once fatigue set in. Continuing to perform an exercise in a fatigued state produces poor technique. Also, the muscle firing sequence changes.

"If you chase two rabbits at the same time both are going to get away."

In other word, you need to focus on GTG Technique Training, "One exercise at at time."
Thank you so much! I see your point, thank you again :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom