all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG bodyweight half squats? worth it or not?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I would like to do GTG bodyweight squats or maybe goblet squats throughout my workday. The problem is that I cannot get a deep or even full range of motion in my dress pants.

Would it be worthwhile to do three-quarter squats or would that pattern an incomplete movement down the road. I do TGUs, Swings, deadlift for two months a year (double bodyweight), Muay Thai for fitness is my main exercise. I have neglected squatting. I want to prepare a base for barbell squats and pattern the movement. I know how popular Goblet squats are but I feel the pattern a very straight up and down (very high bar) type groove due to the counterbalance. I want to groove a low bar squat. I can use a dowel which seems to help me visualize the bar line over the middle of my feet.

I already do plan strong press during the day and a set of pushups before lunch everyday. I can't afford to sweat much but I do have the privacy of my own office.

Should I forget this idea and just do mobility work?

Last edited:
Why not GTG sets before work, lock your office and disrobe enough to do them at lunch, and GTG in the evening at home? When I GTG, my sets are at sporadic times through the day, not (for instance) at the top of every hour. It seems to work well enough for me.

EDIT: Would a hack squat help pattern for low bar better? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Why not GTG sets before work, lock your office and disrobe enough to do them at lunch, and GTG in the evening at home? When I GTG, my sets are at sporadic times through the day, not (for instance) at the top of every hour. It seems to work well enough for me.

I would do GTG randomly throughout the day between teaching, meetings etc. so it would be too inconvenient to change clothes.

I do swings and/or mobility or Muay Thai in the evenings. I want to add GTG squats without affecting my schedule. I can do ten squats or whatever after working on the computer for half an hour or something or a quick break after a meeting before concentrating again. In short, convenience is key. I am currently getting good results with low volume but almost weekdaily pushups and pullups with minimal effort. The planstrong press routine has only reinforced my view that higher frequency and waved intensity rather than harder workouts is the way to train as all we need to do is find the minimum effective dose to provoke a muscle adaptation.

I have general health goals, not elite performance, in which case, it would call for a different approach.

Why not do 3x5 squats as a morning routine. Thats 105 deep squats per week

I want to groove a low bar squat.

I think you could do this in dress pants... try this method.

Edit: I should add, the resulting squat is the same as what I was taught at SFL for low bar squat, with two minor exceptions (thumb over vs. around the bar, and gaze down vs. forward). I think the SS model provides the best methodology for how to get to a good low bar squat and there are endless resources like articles and videos available to support it.

Last edited:
I would like to do GTG bodyweight squats or maybe goblet squats throughout my workday. The problem is that I cannot get a deep or even full range of motion in my dress pants.
I used to have the same problem with pants. most of my working pants now let me get to a deep squat. I decided that if a pant limits my mobility I should not wear that pant. I'm lucky enough not to work in a suit though.

After my squat has improved I have noticed that in many cases the pants were not that much of a issue, but my mobility was. I'm now able to squat in pants I couldn't squat before.

I think that if you do some squatting in the morning and afternoon it should be enough if you sustain it over time. If you manage to ditch those uncomfortable pants and do some GTG at work, better.

The key is the convenience of doing GTG throughout the day. Changing clothes would defeat the purpose. It would be quick breaks while working on the computer. Movement snacks so to speak.

Why not do 3x5 squats as a morning routine. Thats 105 deep squats per week

I have a young family with a busy morning. Basically, I want to add patterning the squat without disrupting my routine. I have managed this with PlanStrong presses as I can do the sets throughout the day.

I think you could do this in dress pants... try this method.

Edit: I should add, the resulting squat is the same as what I was taught at SFL for low bar squat, with two minor exceptions (thumb over vs. around the bar, and gaze down vs. forward). I think the SS model provides the best methodology for how to get to a good low bar squat and there are endless resources like articles and videos available to support it.

I can't hit my full range of motion (I can squat deep) wearing a suit is my dilemma. It is how to GTG in a suit rather than a how to squat problem.

I used to have the same problem with pants. most of my working pants now let me get to a deep squat. I decided that if a pant limits my mobility I should not wear that pant. I'm lucky enough not to work in a suit though.

After my squat has improved I have noticed that in many cases the pants were not that much of a issue, but my mobility was. I'm now able to squat in pants I couldn't squat before.

I think that if you do some squatting in the morning and afternoon it should be enough if you sustain it over time. If you manage to ditch those uncomfortable pants and do some GTG at work, better.

Suits are cut kind of tight these days. My wife says I look better in that style as I am not overweight. Projecting a professional image is part of my job.

If you can't even perform one rep of the movement (properly) due to the suit, and the suit can't come off, it doesn't seem like GTG squats are viable for you.

If you can't even perform one rep of the movement (properly) due to the suit, and the suit can't come off, it doesn't seem like GTG squats are viable for you.

So do you think doing just over a 3/4 squat is worse than not doing them? Here is how I see it:

PRO

- volume 3/4 squats will build strength and I can focus on most of the cues like sitting back and concentrating on getting the imaginary bar path over the middle of my foot. Also, it will help ankle mobility, which is a minor problem for me.

CON

- building muscle memory not in the range of motion that is my target may mean unlearning or interference when doing barbell squats.

I can't hit my full range of motion (I can squat deep) wearing a suit is my dilemma. It is how to GTG in a suit rather than a how to squat problem.

I know... that's why I said, "I think you could do this in dress pants... try this method." So you tried it, and it's a no? Oh well, just squat properly when you can, is my thought.

You say you want to prepare for low bar barbell squats? To what kind of depth? Are you sure you can't hit the depth in the suit? If you're happy with the powerlifting style, which is a good way to squat, with the top of the kneecap just a bit higher than your hip crease, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do that in the suit.

You say you want to prepare for low bar barbell squats? To what kind of depth? Are you sure you can't hit the depth in the suit? If you're happy with the powerlifting style, which is a good way to squat, with the top of the kneecap just a bit higher than your hip crease, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do that in the suit.

I will go through my wardrobe and see which pants work! That might work with certain clothes. Thanks.

So do you think doing just over a 3/4 squat is worse than not doing them?

I don't know if I would say worse , but you may end up with sticking points as you get into or come up out of "the hole" when you are performing them at a full range of motion.

I believe you'd be better off doing a different squat variation.

Skater squats might be a good fit... no pun intended :D

That is the answer thanks. I will change my plans.

Skater squats and one leg deadlifts make more sense for low rep GTG work than bodyweight squats and provide better carryover to my Muay Thai. The range of motion is enough even in a suit. I can't do pistol squats so both are sufficiently challenging particularly balance. My main goal is just to improve my base lower body fitness without adding time to my routine. The perfect fit!

I don't know if I would say worse , but you may end up with sticking points as you get into or come up out of "the hole" when you are performing them at a full range of motion.

Yes, that was my concern so I am going to go with North Coast Miller's perfect suggestion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom