all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG - for muscle/ strength maintenance?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
I'm hoping to use grease the groove to build chin ups and push ups numbers over the next few months as I'm finding myself too busy to train following a more structured program.

my question is: will the grease the groove method maintain existing muscle mass?

while I understand GTG is unlikely to build much mass, I figure using the lats, back, shoulders, pecs frequently each day would surely maintain what's already there?

Two cents:

Probably, but it depends on the volume you can do with GTG and how well you can tolerate it.

Chad Waterbury has written about using high frequency training to gain muscle. He defines it as more than 3-4x/week.

This article is getting a bit old, but you can do some searches to find more info on it.

@Luigib you can either purchase a high frequency program from Waterbury's site, or else the method is pretty well laid out in many of his articles on it.

Based on other posts I have seen from you regarding bodyweight training, I think you may benefit from something less intense first. The style of training Waterbury is talking about is easy to do too much with. It is a diffcult balance to maintain without burning out. If your body is not ready for it you could very well injure yourself.

For instance, from the article I posted above:
Start with an exercise that you can do for 12-22 reps while fresh.

So if there is not an exercise that you can do for those reps you first need to work up to that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom