all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG for Running?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CJ

Level 5 Valued Member
Is the concept of GTG something that works with running in terms of intensity/volume. I have just started experimenting with this and wanted to know if anyone had any experience. I need running for testing and for my career. I have been running for a while now but my progress and return on investment running is currently just to slow, and need to get things going more effectively. This is being more geared to somewhat longer distances, but I suppose also with sprinting. If this is something that is not likely to work do have another route/training to use.

thanks

GTG is a high-frequency strength routine. Runners need to put in a lot of easy-but-quality running. These are two things that might look similar but they're different in some fundamental ways, IMHO.

What kind of run are you tested on? A lot of folks have paired S&S with LSD running with good results.

-S-

Steve I am tested on a 1.5 mile run, a 300m sprint, and generally a agility run, with the time varying

Steve I am tested on a 1.5 mile run a 300m sprint and generally a agility run, with the time varying
@mprevost Has some EXCELLENT running (and pushups, situps, pullups, etc.) programs that will be right up your alley. The man knows what he's talking about. And that is a huge understatement.

Hello,

Is the concept of GTG something that works with running in terms of intensity/volume
IMO, running requires a structured program, to get the right amount of rest to be sure to perform top quality training.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is the concept of GTG something that works with running in terms of intensity/volume. I have just started experimenting with this and wanted to know if anyone had any experience. I need running for testing and for my career. I have been running for a while now but my progress and return on investment running is currently just to slow, and need to get things going more effectively. This is being more geared to somewhat longer distances, but I suppose also with sprinting. If this is something that is not likely to work do have another route/training to use.

thanks
Andrew Read also has some excellent material on running. My two pennies worth are that GTG methods are not really the best tool for what you are looking for.

@mprevost Has some EXCELLENT running (and pushups, situps, pullups, etc.) programs that will be right up your alley. The man knows what he's talking about. And that is a huge understatement.

Thanks for the kind words. Attached is a 6 week Navy PRT plan that I developed and tested with hundreds of Midshpmen at the US Naval Academy. We had pretty good success with it. It produced some fast 1.5 mile run times. Keep in mind this is a 6 week plan, designed to be done in the 6 weeks prior to the PRT test. See attached.

Attachments

• Navy-PRT-Plan.pdf
    777.2 KB · Views: 107
Mprevost,

Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have 6 weeks and w/ my current schedule I am unsure If I would be able to get the the running in the required days.

Mprevost,

Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have 6 weeks and w/ my current schedule I am unsure If I would be able to get the the running in the required days.

3 X week is enough.

One VO2 max interval day, one steady run day, one tempo run day or

Two VO2 max interval days and one steady run day

For your VO2 max intervals days, since you have 4 weeks left, do this:
week 1: 6 X 1/4 mile at goal 1.5 mile pace
Week 2: 3 X 1/2 mile at goal 1.5 mile pace
Week 3: 2 X 3/4 mile at goal 1.5 mile pace
Week 4: 1 mile at goal 1.5 mile pace, rest 2 minutes, then 1/2 mile at goal 1.5 mile pace

It will give you lots of practice pacing and lots of race specific run training

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks so much for this. I'm getting ready for Army basic training and needed a program a bit more thought out than "just run two miles for time everyday."

I've had great success with interval training for jiu-jitsu so I'm really excited to start this. I really appreciate you putting it up!

Thanks for the kind words. Attached is a 6 week Navy PRT plan that I developed and tested with hundreds of Midshpmen at the US Naval Academy. We had pretty good success with it. It produced some fast 1.5 mile run times. Keep in mind this is a 6 week plan, designed to be done in the 6 weeks prior to the PRT test. See attached.

Thanks so much for this. I'm getting ready for Army basic training and needed a program a bit more thought out than "just run two miles for time everyday."

I've had great success with interval training for jiu-jitsu so I'm really excited to start this. I really appreciate you putting it up!

Let us know how it goes. I am sure you will do great. You would be surpised at how many people show up at basic with no training at all!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom