all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG Forever?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jamie

First Post
Hello Pavel,

I currently enjoy a GTG protocol with bodyweight exercises. I tend to perform 5 + sets per day, five or six days per week.

Sets consist of push up, pull up, pistol squats, skater squats and some bodyline/planking stuff.

My question - can I do this indefinitely? Presuming I'm cautious with diet, rest and rehab, can I just train like this forever? I much prefer this than blasting myself once a day.

Thanks for your time,

Jamie (Scotland)

@Jamie, you can do it for as long as it works for you. That's not likely to be forever. If you want to do "this forever," it's best to figure out how to incorporate some variety into your training. If you want to keep the same exercises, then try things like having some weeks where your volume is appreciably higher than average and other weeks where the volume is lower. The same thing can be done on a day-to-day basis.

-S-

I have found GTG to definitely be the best way to train for me. It gives me the most exercise a day with the least exhaustion. GTG is also great for my schedules; some sets in the morning, some in the afternoon, the main ones in the evening, for example.

I also find it's the way I do things instinctively; I remember practising on my first dumbbells some twenty years ago, and GTG was the only thing I did then, and the only thing I do know. The only exclusion is the availability of equipment or companions. And that is one of the reasons I favour the kettlebell.

"Grease the groove," or how to get superstrong without a routine (Pavel, the naked warrior). I think this statement is very true. Currently, I have the luxury, to grease my bottom up press groove with a kettlebell. When this is not an option...I could do some gripper work or the original "naked warrior" template.
My question - can I do this indefinitely? Presuming I'm cautious with diet, rest and rehab, can I just train like this forever? I much prefer this than blasting myself once a day.
Indefinitely probably not in this live. But I only have the assumption, that this would be "the best" template for a whole lifetime. And what Steve said in here and in another thread, is that waviness in volume and intensity is key.

I think there is, and it is volume dependend. I hypothesize: you do 2 pistols every 30 min (your max maybe 5 solid reps) when you are, maybe at work in an eight hour time frame per day. 4reps per hour, 32 per day. 5x32reps=160 per week=640 per month. That is in my book some high volume. You got never to failure, you will get a strong nervous system, and will build some dense myofibrilar wiry muscle, as you should not get as hungry as a starving lion being on a 20 rep squat routine, meaning you won't bulk up. But that is only my assumption.

Ok thanks.

I tried it in the past (50 pullups and 100 pushups a day) for about 3 weeks. Felt good but nothing to shout about muscle wise. Maybe I should have used a harder variation eg diamond pushup?!

Rich

@Ricky01: think more in terms of 30 weeks instead of 3 weeks. My statement above is some kind of a thought experiment. Do in a set half the reps you would be capable of, wave the volume up and down. You could try diamond pushups as "specialized variety". Do it, stick to it for some extended time, practice beautiful form, and you will be amazed about your capabilities (skills), and your body will reflect that. Remember, your pullups and pushups are no "upper body" exercise, they are full body and your mind. your non moving part is a rock solid planck, kneecaps up, glutes, abs tight...in each rep.

Last edited:
Thanks

I was thinking about using Mark Sissons primal blueprint fitness (used it before but coming back to it as want to move away from weights). That was going to be (progressions):
Monday - plank and squat
Tuesday - pushup and pull-up

Thursday - plank and squat
Friday - pushup and pullup.

I start each session with some shoulder work for shoulder health.

Alternative is gtg.

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom