all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG Forever?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl

Level 6 Valued Member
Any thoughts or experience on running GTG over the long haul?

I often pepper in GTG sets through the week, at odd times but without structure, in addition to 2-3 main strength sessions. I am wondering if I should cycle in and out of this or would be safe to run (as long as I wave the load).

I'm particularly interested in boosting numbers in chin ups/pull ups and other basics. I'm looking to boost those numbers in a simple way without my joints groaning at too much volume.

I think in general terms GTG is very sustainable over the long term.

That being said...
  • It depends on what exercises/training that you are applying it to. It has far more applicablity for some things than others.
  • It is also highly dependent upon what your training goals are.
I think it works reasonably well for pull-ups. When you say "boost your numbers" what does that specifically mean? There are a variety of different and effective pull-up methodologies and protocols that may be better suited, depending upon your goals.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to get to 20 reps in a single set (bw only) of chins, then maintain at around 15-20 without too much effort.

Presently, I'm at around 10-12 in good form but have been stuck there a while.

If, and when, I GTG I stick to Pavel's recommendation of only GTGing 1-2 exercises at a time.

Grip seems fine for more reps so doesn't appear to be a limiting factor and I attempt to apply full body tension on all reps.

You should be able to GTG with 5-6 reps in a set. You can do this long-term as long as you vary the load, and as long as you take a break when and if you feel you need it.

For most people who can do 10 chin-ups, adding some weighted work will be helpful in boosting bodyweight-only numbers, e.g., you could try GTG w/ a small additional weight, perhaps 10 lbs to 10 kg, and see how it feels, then test your bw-only numbers from time to time.

-S-

Hello,

I used GTG for lots of move, such as front lever, pistols, one arm pull up, etc... Each time with excellent results. As long as you do not "exceed" 2 moves using GTG, this is an excellent strategy

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great - thanks guys.

I'll keep plugging away, wave the load with GTG, stay patient and hopefully ease my baseline up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom