all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG Longterm

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

s f

Level 6 Valued Member
How long can bodyweight GTG be performed?

Looking at a pullup alternating with a pushup variation on separate days--when I can get 5 reps of each--move to another progression.

Some swings as a finisher; a few TGUs as warmups.

Any thoughts--anyone do GTG for at least a year?

Thanks for your comments.

Warmup and finisher...that sounds a lot like you plan to do a session (TGUs -> Pullup/Pushup -> Swings), which is not what GTG is about.
If you want TGUs and Swings why not do S&S and really GTG the bodyweight stuff. I think a lot of people here are doing or have been doing that at a time.
Or do Naked Warrior and throw in 2-4 days on which you do some swings and getups.

For better understanding how to really do GTG here's an article by Craig Marker: Greasing the Groove: How to Make It Work for You

Looking at a pullup alternating with a pushup variation on separate days--when I can get 5 reps of each--move to another progression.

Well, I suppose that it could be done indefinitely....
Read the article that @Kettlebelephant mentioned, or read Naked Warrior. This will shed light on the ins and outs of GTG. GTG is a tool and like any tool make sure it's the right one for the job at hand. Its effectiveness will depend upon many factors including but not limited to: your goals, your situation, and how well you understand and apply GTG

Someone who performs a physically demanding job is effectively practicing GTG permanently, e.g., a brick layer, someone who moves heavy things in a factory or on a farm, etc.

-S-

To me, S&S is to be preferred. NW is mainly for when my kettlebells are not available, which does happen sometimes, and sometimes for a few months at a time!!!

GTG is for life. It trumps all other forms of exercise and training.

Btw, I would not associate warm-ups and finishers with GTG training.

GTG is imho an excellent long term program. Just make sure to:

- follow the "same but different" rule, i.e. change the variations or progressions
- have a "big pull" in your program - deadlift, swing, or a snatch

While I was a youth I GTGd all the time and never thought there was a term for it. Whenever I went in or out of my room, I did as many chinups as possible on the chinup bar I had installed in my doorframe. That kept me in decent shape back then being young and all, and not knowing about "big push" or "big pull" theories.

I could see coupling the OAPU and the pistol with kettlebell swings or snatches, but to leave out a "big pull" like I had to over the summer time for two months, I can't conscience. My lower back got pretty weak over the summer time only doing GTG stuff. The proof is in my old back pain coming back and in the fact that I couldn't do my 32kg kettlebell swings well anymore.

Someone who performs a physically demanding job is effectively practicing GTG permanently, e.g., a brick layer, someone who moves heavy things in a factory or on a farm, etc.

-S-
I was under the impression that GTG is meant to be used as a 4-8 week plan. Since it relies purely on synaptic facilitation, improvements come very quickly, but also stop earlier than in more conventional training (say 5x5 twice a week).

Like I don't think a brick layer is necessarily stronger after a year of it than after 3 months of it. Usually the strongest manual laborers that I've seen are the ones that also go to the gym to actually train.

Any thoughts?

It depends on what your goals are. No training approach yields progress for a person continually, but a brick layer has no choice, and if his/her strength remains constant without improving, that's OK.

-S-

No training approach yields progress for a person continually
I agree, but there are definitely programs that can last for a year or more without much change (Texas Method, 5/3/1, and S&S are up there). And then there are other ones where results just plateau well before that (Smolov). My point is that my impression is that GTG falls in the latter, not the former.

I'm imagining the OP is interested in constant strength gains for a year (not just maintaining them) so with those goals in mind, I was under the impression GTG would not be a good idea. Maybe cycling GTG with another program that's lower frequency, to constantly shock the body every 2-3 months might be a better idea no?

@305pelusa, I don't have an answer for you. I think GTG can work for a long time, but we also have to define what we mean by a program working. You can acquire a skill and continue to practice that skill, own that skill, and be satisfied. That might not be continuing "progress" but it might be OK for some.

-S-

If you are doing somthing like sets of 10 one armed one legged pushups you are pretty darn strong!

GTG can be used long term but really depends on your goal. I teach the SFB to first set the main goal and secondary goals or even long term goals.
You can have your main goal set in a 4,6, 8+ week program (the meat of your training) and still GTG up to 2 secondary skills long term and achieve continued progress. I have been traveling so much the past three years that most of my training is done in GTG Fashion and have been able to maintain all FB and most BB skills without training them very often and have also PR'd some of those skills by only training bodyweight strength using our SF principles.

Once you can do say 5 sets of 5 at a given progression you can add to a program and pick another skill you wish to begin doing GTG with or you can just GTG a harder progression until it reaches a good set/rep range.

hope that helps.
Here to help with any programing you guys need ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom