all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG & Plange Training...A No-No?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bill calhoun

Level 1 Valued Member
Pavel's "The Naked Warrior" is beyond awesome. That's why I'm gonna attack it (along with my other training as a dancer/choreographer). However, I read that he suggests we not use other competing exercises (handstand push-ups, bench presses, etc.) I totally get it. He does recommend "pulling activities". So:

1. Is it okay to continue my pull-up training (human flag, typewriter, hanging plange, etc)?

2. That means I need to hold off on my ground handstand stuff and parallel work huh (pike push-ups, dips, floor plange)?

BTW, once I get the one-handed push ups will this help me in my future parallel work?

Thanks

@bill calhoun, you have to think about why GTG works - it's high volume (of short sets with lots of rest). Achieving high volume is a key component of most successful training programs, but there is such a thing as too much. Only you can be the ultimate judge of whether your training plan allows sufficient recovery and achieves sufficient volume.

Many people do manage to work GTG for a couple of exercises and continue to train other movements on a more traditional schedule, typically 3-5 times per week in a single session per day.

-S-

Okay, I must be stupid or something worse.
Am I missing the progression routine (reps, sets, days of week) for TNW pistols and One-arms?
Or do we follow one of the other standard progressions as per Beyond Bodybuilding or something?

Just trying to work-in the schedule for moving on to the next step (wall push-ups to lower level push-ups to....well, you get my meaning)

Can help point out where I'm lost, to this knucklehead?

5-20 x 40-60% rm
every 2hr = 5 rep
every 1hr = 10 rep
every 1/2hr = 20 rep
6-7 days a week

@bill calhoun, the "progression routine" in Naked Warrior is Grease The Groove. Read about it in the book - it is not a set number of sets or reps.

-S-

Hey "23rdwave" and "Steve", if I'm in rehearsals and filming throughout the day I may miss the hourly work intervals. Can the pistols and OAPUs be done like a ladder, at one time during the day, either daily or interval days throughout the week? If so, what might that look like? "23rdwave", you listed a nice breakdown. As I'm starting off on the door and stools for OAPUs and pistols percentages are tough to gauge so, I'm trying to get maybe 3-5 reps each hour and will change height or something the next day. Will that work? And like the above question, is there a way to do a daily routine that will grab results vs hourly?

There are no hourly workout intervals. Read the book, decide if the program is for you, then follow the instructions.

There are many kinds of "daily routine that will grab results vs. hourly" - read "Easy Strength," read "Power To The People!"

Bill, read, then think, then do. Don't just count on the answers you receive to the questions you've asked - you'll have other questions and a different understanding after you read and digest the source of these routines you're considering.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom