all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gtg snatches for improving strenght endurance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sauli

Level 9 Valued Member
Hello..

Has anyone used gtg protocol to improve strenght endurance/efficiency in snatch?
How well it worked?

Snatch ain’t priority to me right now, but I enjoy gtg work overall and I could improve my numbers in snatch.

Thanks for your answers..

I recommend doing a snatch Ladder 10-1 or 7-1 as sort of a finisher at the end of your training sesssions. Rest as needed at first. It is an easy way to maintain snatch performance, and technique....over time then begin to do the ladder with as little rest as possible,

I've had success with maintaining snatch technique (and overall strength endurance) by incorporating ~5-10-15m of relatively low-volume snatches at the end of a training session. i.e. 5-10 reps, same arm, top of the minute. Extra rest as needed to ensure each rep is as perfect as you can make it.

You can definitely work the snatch in a pure GTG fashion as well, and I suspect you'll see similar results, though I haven't personally experimented with that.

For me, it's actually pretty important to keep snatching at least a little bit every week... though to really prep for a 5 or 10m snatch test, you'll eventually need to "suck some wind" and progressively compress the rest periods in the ~4 weeks leading up to the event.

@Sauli
I do this a lot.

Most of my training during the work week is in small bites during breaks in my office. I get up and do a set every so often throughout the day. I use 24kg at work because I can't use chalk at work and I don't really want to break a sweat. At home, my working snatch bells are 28 and 32.

For snatches, I've done it two ways.

One is A+A style, but in small blocks, such as sets of 5 on the minute for 4-6 minutes.

The other is longer continuous sets with one hand switch, anywhere between 10R/10L and 20R/20L, often waving the length from set to set and day to day. The longer sets are harder, but they're spaced out with long breaks in between.

I usually end up doing about the same total volume per day either way, anywhere from 80 to 200 reps depending on how I feel and how busy I am.

Both seem to yield good results, based on how I feel when I do longer sessions with heavier bells and when I play full court basketball. The grip work from the longer sets has better carryover to my grip with heavier bells and longer sets, as would be expected.

Thanks for your answers. I think I’ll try it. I’ll just bang 50-100 reps during a day and see how it works.
Time to time I could do more intense session to measure progress and suck some wind.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom