all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG Stomach Vacuum (improved digestion)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Read about these in my copy of "Bullet Proof Abs".. excellent book

in classic Pavel - style, he urges the reader to practice this exercise every day, throughout the day.

I'd like to work my abs a little bit, but I'm mostly interested in the improved digestion that this exercise offers

- any experience with improved digestion from regular "vacuuming"?

Note: I also do my best to get an adequate fiber / water intake, and I practice fasting during the day. I still feel like my digestive system needs a little "massage" to get going sometimes.

Hello,

Yes it improves digestion. I perform "nauli kryia" about 10 times a day, during 90 seconds each. Basically, it isolates in sequence from right to left ans left to the right rectus abdominis and transervus abdominis. It implies a certain muscle control.

I do it far from the meals otherwise it is almost impossible to do it with good form.

I have a more "fluid" digestion and am also more relaxed because it obliges to work on the diaphragm. It also makes the waist line thiner

It is not advised if one has some stomach / intestine inflammation (Chron's disease, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Yes it improves digestion. I perform "nauli kryia" about 10 times a day, during 90 seconds each. Basically, it isolates in sequence from right to left ans left to the right rectus abdominis and transervus abdominis. It implies a certain muscle control.

I do it far from the meals otherwise it is almost impossible to do it with good form.

I have a more "fluid" digestion and am also more relaxed because it obliges to work on the diaphragm. It also makes the waist line thiner

It is not advised if one has some stomach / intestine inflammation (Chron's disease, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

hey pet'!

fortunately my stomach / GI Tract is pretty healthy.

It just needs a little "push"

Hello @Jak Nieuwenhuis

In that case it can only be very beneficial I thing. I enjoy doing a few sets before each meal, in addition to the other sets I do during the day.

I noticed the best moment is in the morning, before any food intake. Otherwise, it can be excellent when running IF as well.

In addition to the above, thorough chewing is also crucial.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
I perform "nauli kryia" about 10 times a day, during 90 seconds each.
Dang it! Every time I get a routine dialed in I see something else that would be very beneficial to do. Is it mandatory to do these in the lotus? My knees hate that.
Can it be done standing?

Hello,

@Brett S
Yes it can be dobe standing. Actually, this is supposed to be the "last step". However, it remains far harder and require a little bit more work.

Then it can perfectly be performed while standing. To be honest, I did not notice any difference in terms of effect between the standing or sitting version.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Brett S
Yes it can be dobe standing. Actually, this is supposed to be the "last step". However, it remains far harder and require a little bit more work.

Then it can perfectly be performed while standing. To be honest, I did not notice any difference in terms of effect between the standing or sitting version.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Interesting indeed. Thank you @pet'

Folks, "improved digestion" can happen from a lot of exercises that involve your midsection. Basically moving things around down there is good. If memory serves, Pavel also makes this point about the "belly dancing" maneuver in Super Joints. Windmills can be another for some folks, and indeed, sometimes just pressurizing your midsection for almost any heavy lift provides a healthy "kick in the stomach."

-S-

a healthy "kick in the stomach."
You're sounding like an MA guy now, in a good way :)

I have zero digestion issues, my interest is in diaphragm massage, I suspect the diaphragm is a muscle in which I hold stress, and I can't get to it, you might say it's a gut feeling on gut health.
Also some years ago I took a punch to the diaphragm that may have caused some internal damage, it took 2 years before I felt completely normal again.

Hello,

@Brett S
You are right. When we are stressed, diaphragm is tensed so this is why we breathe faster and globally have shorter retention time.

In addition to the Vaccum / Nauli which are IMO crucial, you can also go for different stretches. Maybe some freediving strething may interest you (they are usually done before the dive). However, they require dedicated sessions so it can be time consuming.

Kind regards,

Pet'

FWIW, the Buteyko breathing practice I teach will require that you learn to relax your diaphragm - you won't get very far if you don't do that, and a teacher will help you figure out how to do that.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom