all posts post new thread

Kettlebell GTG swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Al Ciampa

Level 7 Valued Member
This question was posed in the past with no responses... I am wondering if anyone has tried this:

Has anyone completed any number of weeks of GTG-style work with sets of swings, as per the theory outlined in Pavel's Long Rests? (Long Rests - StrongFirst)

I would be asking about your results/observations about a protocol similar to 45-60s of work, followed by at least 30min rest, repeated several times throughout the day, 3-5 days per week.

Also, would anyone be willing to try something like this?

Hi Al,
I've been doing something somewhat similar. I keep a couple of 24 kg KBs in my office at work. Throughout the day I do S&S style swings in blocks of 2 to 6 sets. I go by the clock in each block, and do a set every 1:20, so at least a full minute rest between sets. I can do up to 6 sets this way without breaking a sweat and maintaining nasal breathing between sets. Since I'm at work, I need to keep the overall duration of each block short so I don't get sweaty, don't really need any time to recover, and don't take any more than reasonable break time.

I try to get in at least 12 total sets of 10, and sometimes get as many as 20, although I sometimes only get as few as 6 or 8.

I also mix in blocks of double C&FSQ ladders, usually up to 3 (1DCL/1DFSQ, 2DCL/2DFSQ, 3DCL/3DFSQ). I usually get in at least 1 of these ladders, and as many as 4. If I do more squat blocks, I'll generally end up doing fewer swing blocks.

The number of blocks I do and the intervals between blocks depends on my work schedule, and is pretty irregular. I might be able to squeeze in a block 20 minutes after finishing the previous one, or I might end up waiting a couple of hours.

I haven't done any rigorous measurements to track progress, but I can now easily do a block of 6 sets of swings at the same perceived effort I used to do 4, and the C&FSQ ladders are feeling easy. This is more park bench/maintenance training, so I'm less concerned with progress, and more concerned with just getting in a reasonable daily dose.

With my busy sked I would definitely like to try a GTG approach to buildig conditioning..

Try this:

3-5 times per day, with at least an hour in between, do one set of heavy 2-h swings that lasts between 45-60s. 3-5 days per week should work fine. Increase the load if it begins to feel light.

If you like, do this for 5 weeks with a pre- and post-test.

2-h swing, yes. RM? Not really, but you will feel like you are "hanging on" at some point late in the set, forearms burning and such. I wouldn't classify this as RM though. You'll figure it out...

2-h swing, yes. RM? Not really, but you will feel like you are "hanging on" at some point late in the set, forearms burning and such. I wouldn't classify this as RM though. You'll figure it out...

The last 10 reps definitely made me need to "hang on" I like this approach so far since I have had fairly good success with GTG for strength, it would be nice to have similar success for conditioning

I could be up for something like this.

I have not focused on swings in my training for a while, I've been on a long C&P kick. GTG is the only way I train. I have a 40kg kettlebell that I could use, nothing heavier, though I suspect that that in itself will be well enough for me.

What kind of results are we looking for, as in what tests or measurements should I do? For example, what should the pre- and post-tests be?

@Antti choose an aerobic and anaerobic test that is non-specific to swings, repeatable, and something that you are not training in this time. Do a pre and post. Done.

@Al, Any thoughts about doing this with 1HSW/SN? The 10 min snatch test is one of my goals and im curious how this type of approach would work. GTG is the best thing for me with my crazy schedule and has helped me tremendously with my pressing.

Taking notes since I would also like to learn how you can GTG for a snatch test or SSST

I predict GTG to be less useful for the snatch tests or GS or similar.

-S-

@Al, I'm using the 24, plan to crack 200. Last time I got around 160(coulda got more but I didn't do a good job pacing). I can snatch a 32 easily for several reps l/r have not gone all out with it before though, and I have never tried snatching a bigger bell.

@Mark, me too!

@Steve not saying it will but gtg is the most reliable way to go for my life at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what happens at any rate.

I don't think the sessions are long enough for what needs to happen; just a guess on my part, but GTG is a strength protocol. The only way I could see it working is if the weight was heavy, or maybe if your GTG sets w/ 24 kg were something like 30L+30R w/ one hand switch, or something along those lines.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom