all posts post new thread

Kettlebell GTG swings?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Al, I'm using the 24, plan to crack 200. Last time I got around 160(coulda got more but I didn't do a good job pacing). I can snatch a 32 easily for several reps l/r have not gone all out with it before though, and I have never tried snatching a bigger bell.

@Mark, me too!

@LoganMurphy to tag me, or whatever it is called, you have to use @ "my screen name", not "Al". So, apologies for not keeping up with this thread...

Because of your goal, I would suggest to try using the 28kg in sets of 5-10 throughout the day slowing increasing the volume until your are completing 200-300 per day. Nothing structured, just do 5-10 snatches on each arm, for 1-3 sets (10-60 total), making a "bout" of snatches. Maintain a rest of at least 30min in between "bouts".

Vary the number of bouts per day, number of sets per bout, and number of reps per set. Maybe start with a goal of an average of 50-100 reps per day, but your actual daily totals will be higher or lower than this value. Increase your daily average by 25-50 each week so that you will be at a 250-300 daily average in 2-4 months. Remember to keep your actual daily totals higher, lower, or at the average, but not consistently so.

Make it work around your life... you do not need to train everyday; but you can train on most days. You should always feel energetic.

If you have free time on the weekends, you can do worse than engaging in LSD work for 60min. The SSST is very aerobic.

Does this make sense?

Oh... I see that I am late to this party now. I just commented to Logan, so you may disregard if you already have a plan.

@Steve Freides although I use the term "GTG", I only mean it in the structure of the program, not the target stimuli (neural adaptation). There is no reason why the aerobic system would not respond in the same fashion... why does your energy system care "when" you use it, to respond to the stimulus? Think, A+A throughout the day...

There is no reason why the aerobic system would not respond in the same fashion
Is there evidence that it does respond in the same fashion?

We know training volume is important in strength, and also important in endurance, but I suspect that the underlying mechanisms are at least somewhat different; we know what works in GTG for strength but I'm not sure we know what works for endurance, or strength-endurance. Hey, maybe _we_ know but I don't. :)

-S-

We know training volume is important in strength, and also important in endurance, but I suspect that the underlying mechanisms are at least somewhat different; we know what works in GTG for strength but I'm not sure we know what works for endurance, or strength-endurance. Hey, maybe _we_ know but I don't. :)

-S-

Well, I think that's the experimental hypothesis Al is seeking to test. This thread started as a solicitation of anecdotal evidence and of volunteers for a test group.

@aciampa, sorry I'm still a noob at the interwebz apparently!

I don't have access to a 28 currently, i have a pair of 16,24,32 kg bells at my disposal throughout the day.

I'm implementing my gtg snatch sessions 3xweek. My first day was 15/15, 20/20, 15/15 with an hour and a half between sets at as fast a pace as I could manage (~25RPM)

Today's plan is 15/15, 18/18, 14/14, 16/16, 12/12 and an all out set L/R 1HSW with a 32 when I get home in the evening.

The plan you laid out above sounds great, maybe it'll be in the cards in a few months after I build my confidence with the 32 or purchase a 28.

As far as LSD goes, that does sound like a good idea to add that in. What would you recommend? Thanks for sharing on the forum like you do, and the same to everyone else. It's great having a community of like-minded individuals like this.

-S-

Well, I think that's the experimental hypothesis Al is seeking to test. This thread started as a solicitation of anecdotal evidence and of volunteers for a test group.

Yes and yes!

@aciampa, sorry I'm still a noob at the interwebz apparently!

I don't have access to a 28 currently, i have a pair of 16,24,32 kg bells at my disposal throughout the day.

I'm implementing my gtg snatch sessions 3xweek. My first day was 15/15, 20/20, 15/15 with an hour and a half between sets at as fast a pace as I could manage (~25RPM)

Today's plan is 15/15, 18/18, 14/14, 16/16, 12/12 and an all out set L/R 1HSW with a 32 when I get home in the evening.

The plan you laid out above sounds great, maybe it'll be in the cards in a few months after I build my confidence with the 32 or purchase a 28.

As far as LSD goes, that does sound like a good idea to add that in. What would you recommend? Thanks for sharing on the forum like you do, and the same to everyone else. It's great having a community of like-minded individuals like this.

So you're doing this plan with the 24?

For LSD, pick one of the locomotive activities that you enjoy and slowly work up to the duration, maintaining your HR at about 75%, or 180-"your age". You should be able to converse very freely while engaged (perhaps this would be difficult if you chose rowing, but you get my point). I normally make one of my "need to call" phone calls while I am on my long run. It will ensure a good pace.

@aciampa, yessir that is with the 24. I was taking at least an hour between sets. Honestly I know it's only been two days but I feel like the frequent practice has been beneficial. I'll have to see where it gets me after several months. Thanks for the guidance on the LSD, I'll take a longer than usual light run with my dog once a week and see how that goes. Thanks again for chiming in.

I remember I used sets of 20 snatches on both sides (L20 R20) with timed rest between sets...I think the rest was around 3 minutes between sets. I was preparing for SFG 2 at the time (2013.) and it worked just fine. 5 sets of 10/10 when doing the snatch test felt really ok than. I was thinking what would of happened if I used longer rests...

I remember I used sets of 20 snatches on both sides (L20 R20) with timed rest between sets...I think the rest was around 3 minutes between sets. I was preparing for SFG 2 at the time (2013.) and it worked just fine. 5 sets of 10/10 when doing the snatch test felt really ok than. I was thinking what would of happened if I used longer rests...

I guess thats another worthy experiment

@Mark Limbaga I would not recommend using a GTG approach for snatch test prep, as there is no work showing that it would effective. This is why I had asked the original in this thread.

If you recall GTG guidelines, Sasa's approach is not GTG. I apologize if I unnecessarily complicated this discussion.

@Mark Limbaga
@aciampa
Mark, what I did back in 2013. preaparing for my level 2 recert was not a GTG. I was simply trying to make 5 sets of 10/10 feel lighter than usual. It all depends on what is your weakness. My wasn't strength, so I used a different approach to get used to high number of reps.

Al, what do you think about using heavy bell, let's say 28 and after 32kg for increasing strength with GTG approach for snatches? I guess it would help with the snatch test.

@Mark Limbaga
@aciampa
Mark, what I did back in 2013. preaparing for my level 2 recert was not a GTG. I was simply trying to make 5 sets of 10/10 feel lighter than usual. It all depends on what is your weakness. My wasn't strength, so I used a different approach to get used to high number of reps.

Al, what do you think about using heavy bell, let's say 28 and after 32kg for increasing strength with GTG approach for snatches? I guess it would help with the snatch test.

I misread it so my apologies. When it comes to snatch test prep, I think we are similar since I have no problems snatching a 32 but struggle with high rep snatches

@Mark Limbaga , no need to apologies. Not for posting on forum anyway hahahaha!
It' not related to this topic, but back in 2009. when I was preparing for my RKC, I was using high rep with 16kg and it did wonders for my conditioning, but zero for my snatch test. Why? Well, 24kg felt heavy. I needed strength. Now it's other way around.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom