all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gua Sha - anybody practicing?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Recently I heard about Gua Sha from one of Polish powerlifting coaches.
Is anybody subjecting themselves to this practice and sees results in their flexibility and/or pain reduction in problematic areas?

@Pasibrzuch

Gua Sha, in general terms, is instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization. Western medicine knows it as Graston, Hawks Grips, ASTYM…etc. Gua Sha is the oldest known form that I can think of where a tool is use to massage and mobilize soft tissue.

it’s used heavily in PT clinics

YES I do it. The one arm swings were killing my forearms. I went to my PT and he showed me what to do. After every session of 1-arm swings, Cleans or Snatches with Kettlebell, I put baby oil on my forearms, then scrape down both sides of forearms with Mobility Star by Rogue. I thought I was going to have to quit Kettlebell due to pain but the Mobility Star saved me.

Every kettlebell should come with a muscle scraping/gua sha tool and also a Lacrosse Ball to roll out your mid glutes.

Every kettlebell should come with a muscle scraping/gua sha tool and also a Lacrosse Ball to roll out your mid glutes.
For me a jar lid does the job (by "the job" I mean the scale of bruising I get, I'm yet to feel the benefits).

You speak of baby oil - is it reasonable to use some antiseptic as well/instead? I've heard that a stick deodorant works since it's both oily and contains some alcohol.

Last edited:
For me a jar lid does the job (by "the job" I mean the scale of bruising I get, I'm yet to feel the benefits).

You speak of baby oil - is it reasonable to use some antiseptic as well/instead? I've heard that a stick deodorant works since it's both oily and contains some alcohol.
I use the baby oil as lubricant so the tool glides down my forearms. You can use whatever you like. First I tried Ben Gay but me not like.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom