all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GYM MEMES (cont'd)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Easter is, I’m pretty sure, the only Christian holiday based on the Jewish calendar. That calendar is referred to as a “corrected lunar calendar”. And the correction is an additional month once every few years.

The above is from memory. See link for more: Hebrew calendar - Wikipedia

I believe the Muslim calendar is an uncorrected lunar calendar, hence all holidays (Ramadan is coming up soon) move.

-S-

I think it was certainly once true, as Easter took place as the same time as Passover, originally...I think?

But I think they must have deviated to slightly different calendars based on the fact that it was big news when they overlapped last year:

I think it was certainly once true, as Easter took place as the same time as Passover, originally...I think?
Eoster was always the spring equinox.
Easter is supposed to be tied to Passover, but the gospels don’t agree on that point. (Only one says that point). But they were likely written at least a century after the events they covered, so details probably were lost/changed along the way.

I thought Easter was Germanic pagan tied to the spring equinox, where it’s celebrated on the first full moon following the equinox.

Well, yeah, that, too.

Which is why we have Easter bunnies and eggs, both being fertility symbols.

But that's a European angle to Easter.

I don't think that tie-in exists in, for example, the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian tradition.

Well, yeah, that, too.

Which is why we have Easter bunnies and eggs, both being fertility symbols.

But that's a European angle to Easter.

I don't think that tie-in exists in, for example, the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian tradition.
Oriental Orthodox paints red eggs, even in Africa. (As does Eastern Orthodox)

“Although Copts treat Spring Day as an extension of Easter, the former is marked by special rituals more linked to the ancient Egyptian celebration such as eating salted mullet, green onions and lupin in public parks. The coloring of eggs is similarly ancient Egyptian, with the hatching process being a symbol of life coming out of a lifeless object, which was then analogous to the growing of crops and spring as the season of fertility.

In the Christian tradition, eggs came to be associated with the rising of Christ from his tomb, and red became the preferred color for painting eggs to symbolize His blood, a tradition still followed by Copts.”

@Steve Freides You’re correct about the Jewish calendar. Instead of 365 days/year we have 354, but we make adjustments to our calendar to keep it relatively stable. At seemingly random intervals we have a leap year which contains 13 months instead of 12 months. It makes all our holidays stay in their respective seasons (Festival of Booths in the fall, Passover in the spring, etcetera), although they’ll still have different dates every year. It’s a 19 year cycle, I believe.

Easter’s connection to Passover is that the last supper was a Passover Seder; that’s the only connection, as far as I understand, sort of cosmic incidental contact. Take what I say on this with a grain of salt, though; I’m a strictly first-half-of-the-book person and not a second-half-of-the-book kind of guy.

From the Wiki on Easter

Easter and its related holidays are moveable feasts, not falling on a fixed date; its date is computed based on a lunisolar calendar (solar year plus Moon phase) similar to the Hebrew calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established only two rules, namely independence from the Hebrew calendar and worldwide uniformity. No details for the computation were specified; these were worked out in practice, a process that took centuries and generated a number of controversies. It has come to be the first Sunday after the ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or soonest after 21 March.[18] Even if calculated on the basis of the more accurate Gregorian calendar, the date of that full moon sometimes differs from that of the astronomical first full moon after the March equinox.[19]

-S-

Easter’s connection to Passover is that the last supper was a Passover Seder; that’s the only connection, as far as I understand, sort of cosmic incidental contact. Take what I say on this with a grain of salt, though; I’m a strictly first-half-of-the-book person and not a second-half-of-the-book kind of guy.

Also, I believe the whole reason Jesus came to Jerusalem (dangerous, as a wanted man) from where he was wandering previously at that particular time was for Passover?

Also, I believe the whole reason Jesus came to Jerusalem (dangerous, as a wanted man) from where he was wandering previously at that particular time was for Passover?
No idea, but maybe; that is one of the holidays when we used to do a pilgrimage to the Temple, so it’s possible. That fits with the last supper being a Passover Seder (he was there for it, that’s the meal you’re supposed to have, turns out it was his last supper). I’d say that’s still cosmic incidental contact, so they’re not really connected intentionally in terms of establishing/celebrating the holiday. Again, totally not my area of expertise; I just enjoy these conversations, have always been surrounded by Christians, and went to a super Lutheran college for my physical therapy doctorate.

Also, bummer to anyone who’s late to this thread and missed out on all the excellent gym memes; we’ve now turned this into a discussion about religion, churches, rituals, and schedules…actually, maybe that’s not so different from how we probably all treat working out. Fine, this is close enough to the original topic to be allowed.

No idea, but maybe; that is one of the holidays when we used to do a pilgrimage to the Temple, so it’s possible. That fits with the last supper being a Passover Seder (he was there for it, that’s the meal you’re supposed to have, turns out it was his last supper). I’d say that’s still cosmic incidental contact, so they’re not really connected intentionally in terms of establishing/celebrating the holiday. Again, totally not my area of expertise; I just enjoy these conversations, have always been surrounded by Christians, and went to a super Lutheran college for my physical therapy doctorate.

Also, bummer to anyone who’s late to this thread and missed out on all the excellent gym memes; we’ve now turned this into a discussion about religion, churches, rituals, and schedules…actually, maybe that’s not so different from how we probably all treat working out. Fine, this is close enough to the original topic to be allowed.

I don't think it was accidental or incidental, as Jesus also did the famous event with the money changers during the Passover visit (possibly timed to have maximum visibility / political impact with the visiting Passover crowds):

"Jesus is stated to have visited the Temple in Jerusalem, where the courtyard is described as being filled with livestock, merchants, and the tables of the money changers, who changed the standard Greek and Roman money for Jewish and Tyrian shekels.[2] Jerusalem was packed with Jews who had come for Passover, perhaps numbering 300,000 to 400,000 pilgrims.[3][4]"

There is some debate on the chronology, number of times this happened, and proximity to crucifixion.

I don't think it was accidental or incidental, as Jesus also did the famous event with the money changers during the Passover visit (possibly timed to have maximum visibility / political impact with the visiting Passover crowds):

"Jesus is stated to have visited the Temple in Jerusalem, where the courtyard is described as being filled with livestock, merchants, and the tables of the money changers, who changed the standard Greek and Roman money for Jewish and Tyrian shekels.[2] Jerusalem was packed with Jews who had come for Passover, perhaps numbering 300,000 to 400,000 pilgrims.[3][4]"

There is some debate on the chronology, number of times this happened, and proximity to crucifixion.
Understood; I just mean the celebration of Easter doesn’t seem to be directly related to the celebration of Passover which commemorates the exodus from Egypt. I suppose they both have themes of redemption and spiritual rebirth, but I’ve never heard of direct ties between the way Easter is celebrated to what we do on Passover. Religious people don’t generally believe in incidental contact, or it at least has all sorts of qualifiers and caveats; I just meant what I wrote above in this post.

Are you lunatics trying to say the Easter bunny isn’t real?
Cause we may have problem.
Around age 4, Easter morning, hunting around the house for candy. A neighbor, age around 15-16 ( same age as my older siblings ) is pounding on our front door. I open the door, he's yelling, " I just saw a 6' tall bunny hopping across the field next to your house!" Me and my 6 year brother hall a$$ and gear up to take a look. No luck, guessing a 6' tall bunny with similar athletic skills of it's smaller cousins could hall a$$/jump much faster than us.

Back
Top Bottom