all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GYM MEMES (cont'd)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Happy Lunar New Year
image.png

My son asked what a lunar new year was. After thinking a bit I said maybe it was the first new moon in the new year. What is lunar new year to you? Asking so I can tell him. :)
in Vietnamese culture, one year is 12 months, and time of each month is calculated based on the moon, hence "Lunar". One month is the time the moon finishs her cycle around Earth (28-29 days), and during one cycle the Moon has one new moon and one full moon. We also have ceremony each month in those two days (buying food and put it to the altar, burning incense..)

in Vietnamese culture, one year is 12 months, and time of each month is calculated based on the moon, hence "Lunar". One month is the time the moon finishs her cycle around Earth (28-29 days), and during one cycle the Moon has one new moon and one full moon. We also have ceremony each month in those two days (buying food and put it to the altar, burning incense..)
Very cool! I'll let him know today when he is home from school.

And the Lunar New Year isn't exactly based only on the moon's rotation around the earth - if it was, like some other religious events, when New Year is celebrated could vary greatly over a few years (like Ramadan, for example).
It does vary over time. 2017 and 2018 lunar new year date is nearly one month different

Yes, but it's never in the summer or fall. If it did follow the lunar 12 months exactly we'd see the New Year gradually change seasons.
Just re check, the current calendar has one extra month in some year (in 19-year period we have 7 years with 13 lunar months). But that's all new - it's an effort to keep the Lunar year closes to Western year. In the past we use the pure lunar calendar. About beginning of session - it's an entirely subject. In my culture it's calculated based on a different set of rules.

And the Lunar New Year isn't exactly based only on the moon's rotation around the earth - if it was, like some other religious events, when New Year is celebrated could vary greatly over a few years (like Ramadan, for example).

Easter, also, moves around as it is based on a lunisolar calendar.

Back
Top Bottom