all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gymn Rings or Resistance Set?

Side question please;
What is the optimum mounting height for doing dips?
I have separate straps and use in my gym.
They're currently attached to chin up bar circa 2.4 m from ground but could be attached closer to the apex of the roof, say 4.5 m.
Thanks...

rings are simpler & less expensive than a suspension trainer, which are almost always good things.

My NOSSK Twin Pro suspension trainer cost $45, less than what I paid for Rogue wooden rings with straps.

OP wants gymnastic skills - I think - so I agree with rings as the choice for him.

That said, I do enjoy having rings + low cost suspension trainer for the alternating sets of chinups and dips in Easy Muscle B and C, and any other routine incorporating antagonistic pairs or circuit training.

The rings should be at home this afternoon. One day I will be an aged gymnast ;) my vision since being kung-fu strong was to suspend myself like a handstand on the rings. I got close once when I happend on a gymn with the rings (2010 or so), but got fatigued before I managed it and never stumbled on a set of rings again.

my 14yr old son is a monkey, he just climbs everything he can, he will love it!

and my wife knows nothing about it yet. we need to negotiate my new use of the courage-corner ;)
I bought some for my kids (9, 6, 5 yo) for christmas, mounted it on the back porch and they love it! I get to use them too sometimes and dig them. The gymnasium i teach in has ropes and rings that drop down from the ceiling and are lots of fun too. I really like the ring dips. Need to get a program that i can plug it i to and properly train one day.

20230603_115444.jpg
Ive used a bar over my loft hatch, hung rings from it too, been using it for over a year no sign of it collapsing yet, only use for dips Pullups rows etc nothing fancy

Side question please;
What is the optimum mounting height for doing dips?
I have separate straps and use in my gym.
They're currently attached to chin up bar circa 2.4 m from ground but could be attached closer to the apex of the roof, say 4.5 m.
Thanks...

There isn't a best height - but the longer the straps the more stability is required (read: harder)
I try to hang mine as high as possible though. It's more conducive to exploring new moves.

It's also nice if the straps are anchored so they can't slide left/right.
For example, if they're attached on a smooth bar they have a tendency to move wider as you set up for dips, increasing difficulty.
If they're anchored you can avoid this problem.
(Being anchored is also key for things like ring flies, crosses, etc.)

Played around on the rings some today, haven't used them in while. This thread got me thinking again...

Last edited:
There isn't a best height - but the longer the straps the more stability is required (read: harder)
I try to hang mine as high as possible though. It's more conducive to exploring new moves.

It's also nice if the straps are anchored so they can't slide left/right.
For example, if they're attached on a smooth bar they have a tendency to move wider as you set up for dips, increasing difficulty.
If they're anchored you can avoid this problem.
(Being anchored is also key for things like ring flies, crosses, etc.)

Played around on the rings some today, haven't used them in while. This thread got me thinking again...

Looks good.
I thought the chin up bar might help me find a good width but will definitely consider anchoring in the long run.
Thanks.

Thanks for answering Steve. I read your answer more in relation to height of the handles themselves. It was the top anchoring position I was specifically asking about.
Higher is better, all other things being equal, for the anchor. It’s more like the way gymnastics is done. E.g., when I do archer pull-ups, the relatively short length of strap in my setup actually makes them easier to perform than if the anchor points were higher.

-S-

It really is crazy how the strap height makes a difference in difficulty. The first time i used real gymnastics rings hanging from cables attached to the ceiling of a gymnasium i was quite surprised how hard even a pull up was. Dips are really great on them as well.

It really is crazy how the strap height makes a difference in difficulty. The first time i used real gymnastics rings hanging from cables attached to the ceiling of a gymnasium i was quite surprised how hard even a pull up was. Dips are really great on them as well.
I had a set of rings hung from a high tree branch in our back yard for a while - I should do that again.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom