all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gymnastic Bodies Reviews?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Does anyone have experience or a review from the gymnastic bodies online courses? I've been considering picking them up but don't want to drop the money until I learn more about them.

Thank you, Adam

I’ve had a look around over someone’s shoulder. I think coming from strongfirst, the programming was very linear and might leave you wanting - things may have changed though. Lots of near limit duration isometric holds (expect lots of burn) for progressively longer times.

From what I’ve read, you’re expected to pay your dues on the base level programs for a very long time or risk injury. I can’t say I’ve run the program, so I can’t truly comment on the effectiveness.

I know when I switched from a GB-esque approach to the reddit recommended routine, I started getting bigger and stronger at a much faster rate. I really like listening to Sommer talk about training though.

I like the Tim Ferriss podcast with Coach Sommers. However, I don't like the programming. You are supposed to hold some position 5x 60s before you are allowed to move on.

There are a lot of discussions on reddit. See for example:
"Coach" Christopher Sommers of Gymnastic Bodies - A review : bodyweightfitness

Coach Sommers knows his stuff - and he knows how to discover talent. However, I don't like his approach for teaching adults (he admits himself that he had to learn that). Apparently lots of people get banned on the gymnasticbodies forum for recommending other stuff or for critisizing. I think Steven Low (of Overcoming Gravity) and Kit Laughlin are amongst them, and I think also Ido Portal - who praised him highly in his earlier days. Coach Sommers also attacked Ryan Hurst of GMB.

I like the GMB posse, there are very friendly and approachable. I have completed a couple of their courses. The programming might be changed to fit more SF style rep ranges. (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps instead of 5 sets of 4-8 reps for example)

I investigated the series for my son- it seems very excellent if your long-term goals are to be a real gymnast. Not a quick and easy way to do street calisthenics or cool bodyweight moves....

@Martin Joe has been doing one of their programs recently

Hi @Adam R Mundorf
@Neuro-Bob is right about that I have followed Gymnastic Bodies (GB) for some time. On/Off for about 18 months or so.

If you are looking to train like a Gymnast (and get the results of a Gymnast) - GB is great.

If you are looking for a good approach to Calisthenics I recommend following GET STRONG (book by the Kavadlo Brothers) and/or try some of the programs from Gold Medal Bodies (GMB)

To get the best results from GB which offers great programming and progression, you have to GO FULL RETARD, even if you are only doing the Foundation One (and not Handstand and Stretch Series) because the training is with a lot volume and the first couple of months is about rebuilding tissues and flexibility = lots and lots of reps.

I started out with GB Fundamentals which was SO disappointing because it was so basic that my mom could have done it, and overall Fundamentals is just an introduction the GB way where you can try out some of the positions and movements. If you are able to do 1 pull-up, 1 push-up, 1 sit-up = you will not benefit much from Fundamentals.

I went through GB Foundation One (F1), and are now at F2 in most exercises. For leg training the Foundation Series (1-4) will lead you through many movements, but you have to proceed to F4 before you even get near Pistol Squat. And for that there is much better alternatives out there (not GB stuff).

Foundation 1 is well made with good videos. After F1 it changes and the videos is of bad quality and there is follow a long videos and instructional videos. This is very disappointing because Foundations Series is quit expensive. If you go through their F1-F4 forums (which you only have access to AFTER buying them, you will find lots of posts were users are complaining about this and everyone gets the same answer: "we know it, and we are sorry for it. Right now we are filming new content to improve your experience" You can go years back to find the same answers and questions. Don't expect that GB will fix this.

Naked Warrior
All the content about tension is so well written. For Calisthenics use (get you from chin-ups to muscle ups, levers, ring training etc. ) I can't recommend it. It will get you strong in a S&S way - 2 exercises with great carryover to other things BUT after some months it becomes a bit boring only training Pistol Squat and One Arm Push-ups
Note: If Pistol Squat and OAP are your goals - NW is probably the best book out there.

Overcoming Gravity
THIS IS A BIG BOOK ! I love it, well written, but lots of reading and more a Gymnastic Way of Training.

Ending this long post...
I like GB but will not go full retard so I cycle GB with other Calisthenics/Kettlebell training over a 12 months period. At the moment I am finishing GMB Elements which is a great experience.

Would I buy GB F1-F4 again (if I had to)
yes: I like their programming and their mindset about mobility work.

What would I do if I should start over with Calisthenics?
I would follow the GET STRONG book from start to the end. What a great book it is and with a nice vibe to it.

StrongFirst Course/Cert
I am sure that a SF seminar is a good experience, but I have not tried it myself and can not comment on it. However, recommend reading the articles here at SF written by @Karen Smith She writes well and has a deep insight into calisthenics from the articles to judge

Best Regards
Martin Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed the Gymnastic Bodies program for a while several years ago. I liked it but progress was slow and kind of stalled. And there's a couple pieces of equipment that would have helped but weren't available to me. I do like a lot of the exercises and mobility drills in it and sometimes refer back to it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom