all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gymnastic Rings = Better TGU

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

watchnerd

Level 7 Valued Member
I've started re-introducing gymnastic ring work on my recovery days from weightlifting practice 2 days a week (it has a bunch of carry-over benefit for snatching and jerking I won't bore people with).

I've been working the rings for about 4 weeks now. Nothing too sophisticated, just practicing:

--Ring push ups (various kinds: regular, 1 leg, archer, etc)
--Ring dips
--Ring rows
--Ring scarecrows
--Ring pelican curl progressions
--Back lever progressions
--Ring ab rollout

Net result:

Tried a TGU after not touching it for about 6-8 weeks and the improvement in shoulder stabilizer control and core was so dramatic that after 2 sets I put the bell down and bumped up another 8 kg in weight.

Last edited:

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

I have noticed the same. For a while, the bulk of my training was a ring complex: LSit Muscle Up > Chandelle > Back Lever > Front Lever. For the legs, I did pistols and a variation of hip bridge. Previously, I had already reach Simple, with a bdw of 60/61kg.

My block of ring training lasted 2 or 3 months (if I remember correctly). When I did a TGU, it passed even easier than before...

I will then second @watchnerd There is a huge transfer of strength / stabilization from rings to weights. I've noticed the same with resistance bands (assuming the resistance is high enough even on the resting position).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Roland Roppelt

Level 6 Valued Member
Yes, but no.
I am a huge fan of Gym Rings, but saying „this list of seven exercises is better than doing this one a tough sell for my inner minimalist.
woukd love a strong first rings.

watchnerd

Level 7 Valued Member
Yes, but no.
I am a huge fan of Gym Rings, but saying „this list of seven exercises is better than doing this one a tough sell for my inner minimalist.
woukd love a strong first rings.

Just to be clear:

I'm not doing those specific exercises to get better at TGUs; I'm doing them for weightlifting.

If I was specifically programming rings-for-TGU-carryover, I might pick differently, and fewer.

The TGU results were just a side effect.

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello @watchnerd

A chandelle is when you are upside down, in a straight position, with arms straight alongside your body, holding the rings. It is a good exercise to actively engage traps, neck muscles and shoulders. You can then play around this by shrugging your shoulders. It would be a reverse shrug (as opposed to the same move with a barbell).

Indeed, if you let the gravity do the job, you'll "only" get a strong stretch, not a real control of the aforementioned muscles.

Kind regards,

Pet'

watchnerd

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello @watchnerd

A chandelle is when you are upside down, in a straight position, with arms straight alongside your body, holding the rings. It is a good exercise to actively engage traps, neck muscles and shoulders. You can then play around this by shrugging your shoulders. It would be a reverse shrug (as opposed to the same move with a barbell).

Indeed, if you let the gravity do the job, you'll "only" get a strong stretch, not a real control of the aforementioned muscles.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Upside down moves are definitely beyond my current abilities

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello @watchnerd

An alternative for upside down move, in this case, could be handstand push up against a wall. One can start from a "frog" position, or start with a kick (as gymnasts do). Here again, one can play with active / passive shoulder work.

Over the past few months, I have focused on bodyweight. I did mostly HSPU, OAP, OAOLP and pull ups (both on rings and bar) as my push & pull training portion. It's transfered very well to more than 1/2 bdw GU.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Lotto

Level 5 Valued Member
Really interested in getting into some ring work. I have never done any before. I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately. What set ups are available to accommodate this restriction? I have plenty of outdoor space with a covered area. Where would be good to learn instruction/program? Al Kavadlo Next level strength? Is there any SF material available?

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello @Lotto

Tree branches and beams can be options. An anchor point can also be used with a doorframe but you'll be limited to rows and some pushes (flyes, push ups, etc...). A kid playground can also be considered.

For prgramming, FitnessFAQ, StrengthSide, some "workout" available on TRX webside can be considered.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately.
A $30 set of rings and you have throw the straps over a tree branch, as @pet' suggests.

If you can locate the ceiling joist and are able to modify where you live a little, two eyebolts will do the trick for using rings indoors. The big difference between a home and gym installation is usually the height of the ceiling, which does change the way the rings work - they're basically hard on a longer length of strap than when using a shorter one, but it's still plenty close enough and good enough to warrant using them.

-S-

John DeStefano

Level 5 Valued Member
Really interested in getting into some ring work. I have never done any before. I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately. What set ups are available to accommodate this restriction? I have plenty of outdoor space with a covered area. Where would be good to learn instruction/program? Al Kavadlo Next level strength? Is there any SF material available?
GMB is just about to relaunch their Integral Strength program with a rings option. You may be able to track down their discontinued rings programs somewhere too. I used their R1 program and had a lot of fun, and PRed my TGU without training it.

Other options - Antranik, Gymnastic Bodies, Reddit's Bodyweight FItness community.

Kev

Level 6 Valued Member
Mine are on a telescopic pull up bar in a door frame and I only use them for dips but those alone are worth the asking price for a set of rings.

GaryT

Level 5 Valued Member
A $30 set of rings and you have throw the straps over a tree branch, as @pet' suggests.

If you can locate the ceiling joist and are able to modify where you live a little, two eyebolts will do the trick for using rings indoors. The big difference between a home and gym installation is usually the height of the ceiling, which does change the way the rings work - they're basically hard on a longer length of strap than when using a shorter one, but it's still plenty close enough and good enough to warrant using them.

-S-
When I leased my home at the beach I couldn’t just start remodeling. The garage had more ceiling height.
2C73FD28-4DBB-45C0-A0C1-BFFD9B5B90FD.jpeg

Top Bottom