all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Gymnastic Rings = Better TGU

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
I've started re-introducing gymnastic ring work on my recovery days from weightlifting practice 2 days a week (it has a bunch of carry-over benefit for snatching and jerking I won't bore people with).

I've been working the rings for about 4 weeks now. Nothing too sophisticated, just practicing:

--Ring push ups (various kinds: regular, 1 leg, archer, etc)
--Ring dips
--Ring rows
--Ring scarecrows
--Ring pelican curl progressions
--Back lever progressions
--Ring ab rollout

Net result:

Tried a TGU after not touching it for about 6-8 weeks and the improvement in shoulder stabilizer control and core was so dramatic that after 2 sets I put the bell down and bumped up another 8 kg in weight.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have noticed the same. For a while, the bulk of my training was a ring complex: LSit Muscle Up > Chandelle > Back Lever > Front Lever. For the legs, I did pistols and a variation of hip bridge. Previously, I had already reach Simple, with a bdw of 60/61kg.

My block of ring training lasted 2 or 3 months (if I remember correctly). When I did a TGU, it passed even easier than before...

I will then second @watchnerd There is a huge transfer of strength / stabilization from rings to weights. I've noticed the same with resistance bands (assuming the resistance is high enough even on the resting position).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, but no.
I am a huge fan of Gym Rings, but saying „this list of seven exercises is better than doing this one a tough sell for my inner minimalist.
woukd love a strong first rings.

Yes, but no.
I am a huge fan of Gym Rings, but saying „this list of seven exercises is better than doing this one a tough sell for my inner minimalist.
woukd love a strong first rings.

Just to be clear:

I'm not doing those specific exercises to get better at TGUs; I'm doing them for weightlifting.

If I was specifically programming rings-for-TGU-carryover, I might pick differently, and fewer.

The TGU results were just a side effect.

Hello @watchnerd

A chandelle is when you are upside down, in a straight position, with arms straight alongside your body, holding the rings. It is a good exercise to actively engage traps, neck muscles and shoulders. You can then play around this by shrugging your shoulders. It would be a reverse shrug (as opposed to the same move with a barbell).

Indeed, if you let the gravity do the job, you'll "only" get a strong stretch, not a real control of the aforementioned muscles.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @watchnerd

A chandelle is when you are upside down, in a straight position, with arms straight alongside your body, holding the rings. It is a good exercise to actively engage traps, neck muscles and shoulders. You can then play around this by shrugging your shoulders. It would be a reverse shrug (as opposed to the same move with a barbell).

Indeed, if you let the gravity do the job, you'll "only" get a strong stretch, not a real control of the aforementioned muscles.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Upside down moves are definitely beyond my current abilities

Hello @watchnerd

An alternative for upside down move, in this case, could be handstand push up against a wall. One can start from a "frog" position, or start with a kick (as gymnasts do). Here again, one can play with active / passive shoulder work.

Over the past few months, I have focused on bodyweight. I did mostly HSPU, OAP, OAOLP and pull ups (both on rings and bar) as my push & pull training portion. It's transfered very well to more than 1/2 bdw GU.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Really interested in getting into some ring work. I have never done any before. I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately. What set ups are available to accommodate this restriction? I have plenty of outdoor space with a covered area. Where would be good to learn instruction/program? Al Kavadlo Next level strength? Is there any SF material available?

Hello @Lotto

Tree branches and beams can be options. An anchor point can also be used with a doorframe but you'll be limited to rows and some pushes (flyes, push ups, etc...). A kid playground can also be considered.

For prgramming, FitnessFAQ, StrengthSide, some "workout" available on TRX webside can be considered.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately.
A $30 set of rings and you have throw the straps over a tree branch, as @pet' suggests.

If you can locate the ceiling joist and are able to modify where you live a little, two eyebolts will do the trick for using rings indoors. The big difference between a home and gym installation is usually the height of the ceiling, which does change the way the rings work - they're basically hard on a longer length of strap than when using a shorter one, but it's still plenty close enough and good enough to warrant using them.

-S-

Really interested in getting into some ring work. I have never done any before. I have no ceiling that I can attach the rings to unfortunately. What set ups are available to accommodate this restriction? I have plenty of outdoor space with a covered area. Where would be good to learn instruction/program? Al Kavadlo Next level strength? Is there any SF material available?
GMB is just about to relaunch their Integral Strength program with a rings option. You may be able to track down their discontinued rings programs somewhere too. I used their R1 program and had a lot of fun, and PRed my TGU without training it.

Other options - Antranik, Gymnastic Bodies, Reddit's Bodyweight FItness community.

Mine are on a telescopic pull up bar in a door frame and I only use them for dips but those alone are worth the asking price for a set of rings.

A $30 set of rings and you have throw the straps over a tree branch, as @pet' suggests.

If you can locate the ceiling joist and are able to modify where you live a little, two eyebolts will do the trick for using rings indoors. The big difference between a home and gym installation is usually the height of the ceiling, which does change the way the rings work - they're basically hard on a longer length of strap than when using a shorter one, but it's still plenty close enough and good enough to warrant using them.

-S-
When I leased my home at the beach I couldn’t just start remodeling. The garage had more ceiling height.
2C73FD28-4DBB-45C0-A0C1-BFFD9B5B90FD.jpeg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom