all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gymnastic rings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Just started using them again, dabbled in the past but never really got into them.

Just wondering if anyone here ahs used them and how they arrange the schedule, i normally do a push pull hinge squat with kbs and bodyweight.

Ive been reading online but none the clearer really

Push pull legs
Upper lower
Push pull
Fullbody

What sort of splits do people usually use with rings?

Last edited:
I think the ait is more dependent on days training, recovery ability & total weekly volume to split up.
I love rings for:
Pushups (esp with feet higher than hands & externally rotate shoulders at top)
Dips
Rows (feet elevated)
Face Pulls
Hanging Hamstring Curls

Yes ive been alternating with pullups and dips practicing turning hands out at top one workout and pushups and rows the next, pushups also turning hands out at top
Rows i done feet elevated and tried a couple where you hang upside down in a tuck position and row...thats pretty tough haha

Last time I went 5x5 for dips and pull ups.
3 x week, going for extra rep or 2 on one day. My light day was baby muscle up skill focused skin the cat and light practice on transition....the aim, eventually, for strict muscle up. But I do a cycle of dips, pulls and skill and switch to something else....but the muscle up will happen one day, whenever. Its not a do or die goal for me, hence....
Dips I do deep, to touch rings and press up, controlled with power. Once they getting grindy and sticky I stop....so I learnt to judge the rep that will occur and stop on the preceding one, so technical max I guess. Then turn out at the top for 5 secs.

Pulls I do.
Set 1: neutral grip
Set 2: false grip
Set 3:: put a broomstick between them for chin ups.
(Then add L sit chin ups gradually replacing regular with L sits).
Set4: keep the stick for bar pulls, wider grip than neutral.
Set 5: neutral

Same but different with mixed grips. The broom handle is because I can't widen my rings from their anchor without dicking about.

I have done the same with one legged shrimp/airborne lunge 5x5 too. Didn't most recently as had a niggle calf issue.

Couple reps with ab roller at the end, generally in early weeks. Turned out holds in hollow position are plenty!!

I skin the cat for warm up too.

Rings are fun for L sits, inverse hangs, tucks etc, all of which are good but knackering if combined with dips and pulls, for me anyway.

Loads of options. I just really like 5x5, easy to track progress.

A push, pull and squat. No more, no less.

I could add reps but I like mixing harder/ different variety. In that I could do more pull up volume in neutral grip. Maybe will next cycle something else but love dips too.

So that's my balance but you know you might prefer a slant to more volume or other options.

Lots of fun ?

routine A- pushups,dips,pike pushups, L sits,assisted pistols
routine B- pull-ups,rows,inverted hangs,front lever practice
I'll alternate A and B 3x/week.
Twice a week,trap bar deadlifting.

Last time I went 5x5 for dips and pull ups.
3 x week, going for extra rep or 2 on one day. My light day was baby muscle up skill focused skin the cat and light practice on transition....the aim, eventually, for strict muscle up. But I do a cycle of dips, pulls and skill and switch to something else....but the muscle up will happen one day, whenever. Its not a do or die goal for me, hence....
Dips I do deep, to touch rings and press up, controlled with power. Once they getting grindy and sticky I stop....so I learnt to judge the rep that will occur and stop on the preceding one, so technical max I guess. Then turn out at the top for 5 secs.

Pulls I do.
Set 1: neutral grip
Set 2: false grip
Set 3:: put a broomstick between them for chin ups.
(Then add L sit chin ups gradually replacing regular with L sits).
Set4: keep the stick for bar pulls, wider grip than neutral.
Set 5: neutral

Same but different with mixed grips. The broom handle is because I can't widen my rings from their anchor without dicking about.

I have done the same with one legged shrimp/airborne lunge 5x5 too. Didn't most recently as had a niggle calf issue.

Couple reps with ab roller at the end, generally in early weeks. Turned out holds in hollow position are plenty!!

I skin the cat for warm up too.

Rings are fun for L sits, inverse hangs, tucks etc, all of which are good but knackering if combined with dips and pulls, for me anyway.

Loads of options. I just really like 5x5, easy to track progress.

A push, pull and squat. No more, no less.

I could add reps but I like mixing harder/ different variety. In that I could do more pull up volume in neutral grip. Maybe will next cycle something else but love dips too.

So that's my balance but you know you might prefer a slant to more volume or other options.

Lots of fun ?
Similar to how im doing it at the moment, im quickly realising theres no need for ab roller too haha

routine A- pushups,dips,pike pushups, L sits,assisted pistols
routine B- pull-ups,rows,inverted hangs,front lever practice
I'll alternate A and B 3x/week.
Twice a week,trap bar deadlifting.
I like this, Similar to how ive seen most set ups, a push and pull workout ?
With this set up tho im not sure how you would work on things like muscle ups as dips and pullups are done on separate days?

I no longer practice muscle -ups.
You could have a separate day for "stunts"--muscle -ups,flags/levers,etc.
You can also add muscle -up practice prior to your main push-pull workout.

I split my training by the target skills I am trying to learn. I pick two skills per session and do three sessions a week practicing progressions and assistance drills of OAPU, Pull-up (with some HLR practice sprinkled in) and Pistol squat. I guess this approach works nicely regardless of training tool when you only have a handful of target skills you are learning at any one time.

Note that I am just in the beginning of my bw training journey and bought the SF Bodyweight Fundamentals course about 15 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom