all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Gymnastics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I hold an L-Sit about a little bit more than 25 - 30s, do dragon flags and I also maintain a front lever for 3s. With this move, my main constraint remains flexibility. Even when I am on the ground, I am barely supple enough to touch my knees with my nose.

Tell me about it. The V-sit requires an astounding amount of hip and shoulder active flexibility. I have been working on it for about half a year now. I believe I have the necessary shoulder strength and flexibility now since I can really lean back and push my hips forward at the moment. But the hamstring tightness is killing me. I am not a very flexible person. I can touch my palms to the floor on a pike stretch, but that's a long way from a true, full pike. I posted a picture of my current V-sit just for the sake of discussion. As you can see, I'm missing a lot of hip ROM. Ideally, I'd like my feet to be a good bit higher than my head but they're currently at the same place hehe.

Cheers for the videos!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    559.6 KB · Views: 29
@305pelusa, I am happy to defer to your greater skill, experience, and expertise in this. Thank you for your explanation.

-S-

Hello,

@305pelusa
I have the same ROM. At the moment, I can not clearly go beyond. I am working on flexibility and I will keep training abs the way I do it now. Hope I'll get it ;)

Who knows, may be we will get it together !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Incredible move: OA bridge push ups:
I tried yesterday evening for curiosity...kind of disaster ! It requires a lot of strength in shoulders and arms and an incredible anti-twist strength (it forces you to fully engage your abs)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Any progression ideas ? I already do OL bridges and could do 15 "standard" bridges in a row. However, I do not have a clue about how to do them OA !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Any progression ideas ? I already do OL bridges and could do 15 "standard" bridges in a row. However, I do not have a clue about how to do them OA !

Kind regards,

Pet'
I think the best route is to build up a good OA Bridge, as well as train your Bridge Rotations:

Especially the one shown at minute 0:50, but ideally done in a high bridge (extend your legs!).

I don't know if you need to do fancy things, like assisted OA Push-up Bridges. I think if you train those basics above, as well as having strong shoulders from Handstand work (which Ido obviously has), the OA Push-up Bridge just sort of happens.

I wouldn't spend too much time on it though. I don't see a lot of value in the movement personally. The bridge is a shoulder and thoracic spine opener. Unless you're into Capoeira work where you need to move in and out of a Bridge, I don't see much use in working with OA Bridging. But oh well.

Hello,

@305pelusa
I am not into capoeira or something. I do bridges (included one leg ones, or with elevated feet) since a long time. I was only looking a harder variation, for curiosity. If I can not succeed in that, nevermind ;)

As you said, I prefer focusing on HSPUs and other moves.

Thanks for the video. I will try it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

To those who want to train muscle up, and why not structure it as a part of a routine (it is a very good pull and press move that also involves core).

I think it is a quite good bodyweight skill to have. Besides, it is quite "fun"

Muscle-Ups | T Nation

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

An observation I recently did. If some folks here work on front lever progression, I strongly suggest (if it is not already the case) to use rings (contrary to me on my avatar...)

Indeed, once we get a certain training volume, wrists can be slightly painful.

I admit FL on a bar is easier because there is less stabilization work in forearms. However, a rigid bar implies an angle and a huge constraint on wrists.

Since I do FL with rings, I do not feel "pain" anymore. Indeed, wrists can take their natural angle and you can find the right opening. Even if the move is slightly harder that way, you reap the benefits of a great forearms work.

Just my 2 cents.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I admit FL on a bar is easier because there is less stabilization work in forearms. However, a rigid bar implies an angle and a huge constraint on wrists.

'

Interestingly enough, the instability isn't that much higher. Because your center of mass is under the rings, the rings don't move much. I personally don't find it much harder, if at all on rings. Same with Pull-ups. Just a little harder. But the benefit is really great because it allows you to find a comfortable grip for sure.

On the other hand, movements where your COM is over the rings become much harder (simple physics on height vs base of support). Dipping usually becomes much more challenging. And the stuff that has the entire body above the rings (handstands, planches, L-sits) are simply on another different level in difficulty than their bar/floor counterparts.

Cool observation 'Pet!

Interestingly enough, the instability isn't that much higher

I've just started back on the rings, I was doing my levers on a perfect pullup bar that has rotating handles.

I found I'd developed a few bad habits on the bar and had a pendulum effect going when I first tried it on the rings again. On the rings you have be a bit more precise and hold a bit of extra tension to prevent the swinging. I do a front lever into a back lever and repeat for a few reps. Each transition from front to back was like on was on a swing when I first started back on the rings.

Hello,

@Tarzan
Yes, IMO rings offer a more comfortable work.
You can prevent or reduce the swing effect on a bar if you go up slowly. However that way you fatigue your upper body befor doing the move itself.
Another option is to go up thanks to a standard pull up, and then make a transition to front lever.

On the rings you have be a bit more precise and hold a bit of extra tension to prevent the swinging
+1

I do a front lever into a back lever and repeat for a few reps
I also do this. My main problem here is not the ab work but upper body strength (shoulders / delts / traps).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've reached the simple goal and want to add in some basic gymnastics for strength and mobility. Can you recommend some resources that you trust?

What are your goals? Did you have specific gymnastics skills in mind? Have you ever done gymnastics before? I ask these questions to steer you in the right direction as there are many options.

Hello,

Here is a good tutorial about 2A elbow lever

Here is the 1H version, a bit harder

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Interesting video about gymnastics with an Olympian:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom