all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hallux Valgus (big toe problem) and get up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michielvdg

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I recently have injured my food and as a result developed a hallux valgus condition on my right foot. This limits the bent of the big toe because the bones inside the ball of the food touch each other. This generates such a pain sensation that I cannot perform the get up safely anymore. I can somewhat support myself in the get up avoiding the big toe by twisting my foot but that feels very unstable and not safe either.

• I already walk and run on minimalist shoes for years, have Correct Toes and have professional help for my food recovery
  • I trained Simple and Sinister already for a year prior to this injury.

My question (and of course I hope Pavel reads this post too):

which exercise can I use to replace the get up in the Simple and Sinister program (hopefully temporarily and get the same (kind off) results).

Thanks!

I suffer from gout, and on occasion experience pain when bending my big toes. My problem with get-ups was the lunge, where the toes of the lower leg bend, much like in the push-up. But unlike with the push-up, I have learned to do the getup so that the lower leg has the top of the foot and the toes against the floor and the toes don't need to bend. It is not 100% by the book, but it works well for me.

In what position exactly in the get-up do you experience the pain?

I have learned to do the getup so that the lower leg has the top of the foot and the toes against the floor and the toes don't need to bend.
I have a condition that also sometimes requires me to use the top of my left foot as @Antti describes. Not by the book, but it works just fine.

You can just stop at half kneeling and go back down and add a couple of reps for now while the big toe heals up.

For the short term - don't do things that make it hurt and let it heal up.

That TGU squat version is so cool! I use lifting shoes (raised heel) as my reconstructed right knee is not a huge fan of the lunge. I will definitely be trying this TGU/Squat technique, looks like it still requires the full body tension, so the benefits are not decreased by avoiding the lunge.

I suffer from gout, and on occasion experience pain when bending my big toes. My problem with get-ups was the lunge, where the toes of the lower leg bend, much like in the push-up. But unlike with the push-up, I have learned to do the getup so that the lower leg has the top of the foot and the toes against the floor and the toes don't need to bend. It is not 100% by the book, but it works well for me.

In what position exactly in the get-up do you experience the pain?
-->

When I push out. So left foot front and coming of the right knee to stand.

@Michielvdg @KIWI5 when you try it for the first time, make sure to go light and do it at a place you can drop the KB. The transition from sitting to the bottom of the squat is a bit tricky until you get used to it. I have dropped the KB forward a few times

Last edited:
Thank you for that advice Oscar, looks like my TGU training is going outside...I've just tried it with a 6kg KB (you did say go light at first..;)) - the standing up phase will take some getting used to, I'm not used to squatting with an arm in the air- let alone a weight in the hand! Lunging up with a weight is something I am more familiar with at this stage.

Last edited:
Well, I can train the getup again. My foot still has and will have the hallux but I can do the getup relatively painfree and avoiding my big toe. Thanks for all the tips.
I had a difficult time to perform the squat getup. So I do not do that one anymore.

This is a very interesting variation. I can see where going light at first would be a must do.

I do Turkish get up to squat instead of regular TGU. This variation doesn't require toe bend. I have been progressing very well with it and will start using the 32 KB shortly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom