all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hamstrings Are Evil

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Sweet Christmas my hammies are just chewed up from the peak volume of RDLs at this point in my meso-cycle.

One more week to go, but holy Emperor Palpatine the DOMS are just nasty!

394.jpg

I swear, nothing other part of my body, when it gets the nastiest DOMS, is as bad as the hamstrings.

*Maybe* calves, but I don't annihilate my calves often.

What is it about the hamstrings that just make them so evil?

Yeah I get the same problem. Perma-doms in my hamstrings during hypertrophy. I think maybe it's to do with the fast twitch/slow twitch balance? Maybe my hammies are really fast twitch dominant and can't handle high volume compared to the other muscles which may have a bit more slow twitch? Impossible to know without taking a sample.

Another factor is that most hamstring exercises involve pronounced eccentric phases, not that these don't exist in e.g. quad-dominant exercises, but rarely do I feel a squat (even ATG) stretches my quads like an RDL stretches my hammies.

Don’t get me wrong, my hamstrings tighten, hurt like a b*^<> and generally I agree.
But, there is nothing like the deep, taxing pain of a squat-damaged quadricep when dealing with stairs or even having to stand up from one’s office chair. Both dull and sharp, intense and lingering. It’s poetry in soreness.

Don’t get me wrong, my hamstrings tighten, hurt like a b*^<> and generally I agree.
But, there is nothing like the deep, taxing pain of a squat-damaged quadricep when dealing with stairs or even having to stand up from one’s office chair. Both dull and sharp, intense and lingering. It’s poetry in soreness.
The fun combination for me is the heavy squat session on Saturday, 5K run with weighted vest Sunday morning, then hitting the stairs on Monday morning. It takes a bit the first time down. :D

My Saturday was 5 x 10 high bar squats and 5 x 8 RDLs.

Sunday was supposed to be rowing practice, but it turned more into rowing malpractice.
Ironically, it was too bloody hot here to run today so I replaced it with rowing as well. I actually added 500 yards this time. It must have been my 80s play list. ;)

Ironically, it was too bloody hot here to run today so I replaced it with rowing as well. I actually added 500 yards this time. It must have been my 80s play list. ;)

I never listen to music on the water, just the electronic cox on the scull.

I never listen to music on the water, just the electronic cox on the scull.
Forgot to mention in my last post that from your tone I figured you were talking about the real thing, I am just on a rowing machine in my garage. :D

In your case, I would not have music on either.

Forgot to mention in my last post that from your tone I figured you were talking about the real thing, I am just on a rowing machine in my garage. :D

In your case, I would not have music on either.

It gets confusing.

In water rowing, we often call it "erging", but if you saw "erging" to someone who isn't a water rower, they usually look at you like "huh?"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom