all posts post new thread

TSC Hand care through TSC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Glen

Level 6 Valued Member
Odd query I know.

Had a few issues with callous tearing in training when snatching - not gripping too hard and filing them down has done a lot of benefit.

However I've noticed on the days when i deadlift and do pull ups by the end of the session my hands have become rough with bits of hard skin which could catch when snatching - anyone experienced this? My thoughts was to do everything to minimise this but after pull ups just using something to clear the hard skin off (not wet pummice stone as wont be time) - thoughts/ideas - am I just worrying too much?

Thank you @Steve Freides. Read through all as much as possible but doesnt seem to deal with the issue I feel might occur.

To go through again - I am doing most of the hand care stuff recently and it has done a lot to prevent tears - I clean down the rough skin and moisturise.

My issue is by the time im done with a deadlift and pull up session my hands seem rough enough that should I do snatches I feel they would likely catch - especially when going full like a competition would be. My thoughts are whether this might be a stumbling block in performance if hands startedto tear towards the end of snatching despite being smooth as a babies bum at the start of the day and if so what could be done?

@Glen can you reschedule so you aren't doing these consecutive, hard-on-your-hands moves all on the same day?

-S-

Training isn't so much of an issue Steve - my thought process is purely about the actual event day. I am trying to think ahead and ensure the event day goes without hitch.

After doing deadlifts and pull ups my hands are rough and in a condition were should I do snatches (i dont) they might tear.

The one thing in my mind which indicates on the day it wont be of such an issue is the volume of deadlifts will be significantly less so hands wont have taken that much compared to training.

Glen, have you tried out how rough your hands become after a simulated TSC pull-up and deadlift session?

I have not participated, but the way I understand the rules, while not counting the warm-up you first have three singles with the deadlift and one set of max pull-ups afterwards. Like you considered in your latest post, the volume on the competition day could be so much less that you do not, in fact, have an issue. Best to try it out to know.

If your hands get roughed up on competition day, that's not nearly as bad as if it happens in training. Many of us are often a little broken in one way or another after a competition - it comes with the territory, and if it's a competition you do only twice a year, any torn callouses will certainly recover.

I like @Antti's suggestion of taking a trial run at the TSC's events in order.

I also suggest you experiment with how you grip the bar on your deadlifts.

-S-

I use a Callous Shaver to take off the bulk of the material and smooth the rough spots with an Emery Wheel on a Dremel. I use the Dremel on my dogs nails also..
IMG_0711.JPG
It very quick and effective. I cannot remember the last time I tore a Callous and I have been doing lots of Rack Pulls and recently practicing Hand and Thigh.

Cheers - just got one of those scrapper things - looks easier than pumice stone

@Glen Get a Callous Shaver that you can replace the blade. When the blade gets dull it tears and does not cut clean.

What was ultimately your solution to this problem @Glen ?

I suffered (still do) from a similar issue. Once I'm done with Pull-ups, Front Levers, etc by the time I do some Hanging Leg Raises, my hands feel rather beaten. Like the skin has been stretched out a lot. If I leave it for a few hours, it eventually makes calluses and I can remove them but the issue was during the session.

One thing I was told was that my hands were too "soft", and so after Pull-ups and Leg Raises, etc, it made sense they would hurt a lot. The recommendation was to dab them with some rubbing alcohol right after training (and a few times a day) to really dry out and toughen up the skin. Not make calluses, but rather just toughen it.

I don't recall if it worked back then, and was wondering if people have heard about this. I'm considering it as I'm having a similar issue nowadays.

@305pelusa yeah was given same advice for feet to aid with blisters when I was training to enter the royal marines.

Haven't found a perfect solution but plan on taking a trimmer as shown earlier and if any issues trim them off in between events.

I've found that really taking my time setting up my hands during pullups and deads has drastically reduced my rough spots. I used the just jump up, do my set and then drop down, and I was getting huge callouses and it was getting in the way.

I've started setting up a step and "setting my hands up". i'll push the area that gets rough up and into the bar as opposed to letting that area get pinned between the bar and the rest of my hand, and then step off the raised step and do my set. I'm not sure if this makes sense or if this is old news but it really has made a world of difference in my hand care. I used to stone my hands at least twice a week, but now I do it once every two weeks or so.

There are all kinds of good things you can do by starting on a step, and you can eventually learn to incorporate some of them into a "jump up" start to your pullup sets. E.g., using a slightly false grip, thinking about gripping harder with your ring and pinkie fingers - those are two that come immediately to mind for me.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom