all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB hand help...chalk alternatives?

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi all, wondering if there are any products or tips out there for sweaty hands? My hands aren't bad enough that I am worried that the bell will fly out of my hands with swings, but it is enough to annoy me. My 16 kg and up bells are Aders, so the handles are somewhat tacky. My 12kg is pretty smooth though (old style non competition Agatsu bell) and today felt like I was wiping my hands a lot in between getups.

I work out at home, but din't necessarily want chalk all over my basement and mat.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I didn't use chalk for a long time because I didn't want to make a mess at home. I started using it this past spring and never looked back. If you're careful you can get away mess free. Use the minimum dose necessary.

I workout in my garage and occasionally use chalk. I don't use it much, but when I do, I use a chalk bag like this - and keep it in the box it came in. It makes very little mess.

I workout in my garage and occasionally use chalk. I don't use it much, but when I do, I use a chalk bag like this - and keep it in the box it came in. It makes very little mess.
You can get refillable ones also. But chalk can tend to dry out your skin like Nathan said. Another plus of not using chalk is in challenging your grip. I'll use chalk when I'm climbing but not with KB's

Another plus of not using chalk is in challenging your grip. I'll use chalk when I'm climbing but not with KB's

Agreed. I minimize my chalk usage for that reason as well. But when it's hot (as it tends to get here)- I'd rather have a little less grip challenge so that I have a lot less kettlebell-through-the-wall challenge. :p

Try liquid chalk. I use it for about 2 years and like it. I use the Rock Empire one and like it (It's the only brand the closet outdoors shop has).
As @natewhite39 said, it does dry the hands. I use some hand lotion afterwards.

And I agree with
The safety of using chalk far outweighs the grip challenge, or mess to me.

Rice bucket. Plain old cheap white rice. Put your hands into the rice to dry them out between sets. You can add chalk to the mix if you like.
Thank you for this tip! I have some rice in a deep bucket now, and it works great! During getups I learned the hard way to make sure no stray grains fell onto my mat though...kneeling down from standing onto a grain or two of rice, with bare knees and a bell overhead is not fun...hence transferring to a deeper container. The rice works really well though, and I think I may not even have to buy chalk. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom