all posts post new thread

Bodyweight handstand help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

hello everyone.

I'd like to get to a free handstand at some point. 10 seconds would make me pretty happy. kind of an arbitrary number but still.

this is my current progress. this is not a maximal hold, just a video to show my form.

I just quickly scanned the article that @pet' posted. Looks pretty decent.

A couple things that I'd suggest working on for now...
  1. Put your hands a little closer to the wall.
  2. Make sure to tense your abs a little. (The combo of step 1 & 2 will help you work on a straighter handstand, not like the "old" style described in the link above.)
  3. To practice the free stand... bring one foot away from the wall and stretch up towards the ceiling, then start to pull the second foot off of the wall. It's much easier to (be closer to the wall and to) stabilize yourself with one foot away from the wall and then work on pulling the other foot away than it is to try to pull both feet away at the same time and maintain stability.
  4. Hanging leg raises... I know that sounds strange, but it's the main thing that helped my really stabilize my free-standing handstand. A 2-3 sets of 5-10, 2-3 times/week will be fine.
Other than that, just keep practicing! :)

This is on my daydream list to, and I practice occasional wall handstands. What I've noticed is that when I'm able to hold a free-standing handstand for a while, I have to make a lot of back-and-forth balance corrections through the wrist. Makes me wonder if some kind of forearm/grip training would be a good complement to handstand practice.

Now, with that said... my 9-year-old son is determine to do a handstand without starting from the wall, and seems to be kicking up to his hands every chance he gets to try it(not a great thing to do near a coffee table, for the record). Most of the time he falls over pretty quick. But the other stay he kicked up and everything seemed to align just right, and he held it for at least 5 seconds. It was awesome to watch. Proof that the best way to learn to do a thing is to just do the thing every chance you got.

Maybe next time I'm sitting in a meeting at work, I'll try to kick up into a handstand when I get bored, see how that goes.

I really need help with handstand everyone. I’ve been practicing for a long time and I’m very irritated. I keep curving my back and falling towards my back. I have good core strength as I can do many leg raises and many other core exercise. But somehow I can’t contract my abs during handstand. Please help I feel like as if my muscle is not there during handstand.

Hi,

When i learned the handstand, i never was able to transition from the wall to freestanding...until my girlfriend showed me the way she learned in capoeira.

You kick one leg up, bring the other leg up and immediately put the first leg down.
Example : kick right leg up, then left leg up, then right leg down, then left leg down

It helped a lot learning how to kick up and find the "moment of balance".
When you are comfortable, you spend just a little more time with 2 legs up...and a little more...and a little more...etc.

One cue that helps me to stay balance, is to picture my legs as "blocks" that can only be moved via the core.
And of course use the fingers to fight overbalance.

Have fun and good training :)

I really need help with handstand everyone. I’ve been practicing for a long time and I’m very irritated. I keep curving my back and falling towards my back. I have good core strength as I can do many leg raises and many other core exercise. But somehow I can’t contract my abs during handstand. Please help I feel like as if my muscle is not there during handstand.

Do you know hollow position, and do you try for that in a handstand? That's what made mine stable. A bit of "lat flare" helps a lot, too.

Do you know hollow position, and do you try for that in a handstand? That's what made mine stable. A bit of "lat flare" helps a lot, too.
Thanks for relying.I know hollow position yes I can hold it pretty long but I just don’t know how to activate it inverted. I do it a lot and it’s kinda easy for me on grind since I do calisthenics. But I just don’t know how to contract and form a hollow hold in handstand help

Thanks for relying.I know hollow position yes I can hold it pretty long but I just don’t know how to activate it inverted. I do it a lot and it’s kinda easy for me on grind since I do calisthenics. But I just don’t know how to contract and form a hollow hold in handstand help

Try getting into a handstand with your back to the wall, rest your butt against the wall and work on pulling your body into hollow position while supported. Your balance will feel "off" when you first do it but it won't matter if you can lean against the wall. Next, work on getting the abs tight and contracted as soon as you go up into the handstand. Then work on reducing the support against the wall to find balance in that position. Then practice free handstand away from the wall with hollow position incorporated. Let me know how it goes!

Hello,

@Protato go
The "Lalanne plank" drastically helped me regarding the core engagement for the HSPU. Ab wheel roll out as well by the way.

Another option which I never try is working face towards the wall (instead of back to the wall). You will immediately feel the hollow position that way.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It’s looking good imho.

What helped me a lot - besides lots of time upside down - was one arm handstands leaning up agains a wall.

Hello,

A while ago, I incorporated handstand push ups to my daily routine. I started with 10 sets of 2, then ramped up the intensity (so I reduced the volume a little) with 5 sets of 3. It is quite sustainable and serves me well. For instance, it perfectly maintains my "regular push up" endurance, etc... while working on near max strength.

I am currently satisfied with this and would like to try other things. In your opinion, and based on these numbers (5 x 3r), what would be the number of repetitions I should do daily, for a maintenance. I am not after a progression, just keeping what I have. I initially thought about 2 sets of 5.

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd suggest some variability... Roll a die. Do reps accordingly. An example might be as follows (adjust as desired):

Roll | Do
1 | None
2-3 | 2x5 (sets x reps)
4-6 | 3x3

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom