all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Handstand pushup shoulder stability

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Yes but to a certain extent only because the HSPU is a vertical push

When you perform a GU you have the same vertical position only when you get to the lunge and when you stand straight. Otherwise you have an angle.

If one wants to get shoulder stability for the GU while using push ups, several variations of them would be necessary:
- Feet on the ground
- HSPU
- Several angles using feet élévation

I'd also add archer push ups for the lateral factor.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Do handstand pushups give you stability in your shoulder like turkish getups do

I think stability is built in the positions that you train it. When I stopped doing get-ups and did barbell strength for a while (including overhead press), I didn't lose the ability to do a heavy 32kg get-up, but I did notice less stability in the "odd" positions such as tripod. So doing handstand push-ups should keep you stable overhead, but maybe not completely in the whole get-up. However, it can be easily maintained with a few get-ups, or regained when you bring them back to your training.

So I agree with Pet'. I'd also do side planks.

I think stability is built in the positions that you train it. When I stopped doing get-ups and did barbell strength for a while (including overhead press), I didn't lose the ability to do a heavy 32kg get-up, but I did notice less stability in the "odd" positions such as tripod. So doing handstand push-ups should keep you stable overhead, but maybe not completely in the whole get-up. However, it can be easily maintained with a few get-ups, or regained when you bring them back to your training.

So I agree with Pet'. I'd also do side planks.
Do you think planks side planks and birdogs strengthen the rotator cuff

Don't know, sorry, maybe someone with specific knowledge can answer. But they do seem like productive stress for those muscle groups.

most definitely! Any weight-bearing position does something called approximation. The shoulder ball and socket joint are approximated (pushes toward each other) which helps to turn on the stabilizer muscles like the rotator cuff. Adding in some movements in your free arm or leg will only increase that effect. Side planks work better than bird dogs in this situation.

in response to the original question: if you have a doubt about your shoulder stability, do not perform Handstand push-ups. In the last year alone, I have had to rehab 3 dislocated shoulders from HSPU for individuals who were not ready for it during personal training. Consider the plank or side planks, or get up to improve multi angle approximation for stability

Last edited:
most definitely! Any weight-bearing position does something called approximation. The shoulder ball and socket joint are approximated (pushes toward each other) which helps to turn on the stabilizer muscles like the rotator cuff. Adding in some movements in your free arm or leg will only increase that effect. Side planks work better than bird dogs in this situation.

in response to the original question: if you have a doubt about your shoulder stability, do not perform Handstand push-ups. In the last year alone, I have had to rehab 3 dislocated shoulders from HSPU for individuals who were not ready. Consider the plank or side planks, or get up to improve multi angle approximation for stability
How would i know if i was ready for handstand pushups

the book Convict Conditioning has pieces of that answer. I am working on holding a handstand for 60 seconds before I even attempt a push up

Hello,

It will be a little bit out of the original post regarding the handstand, but in addition of the above (OVH work (HSPU, kb / bb press), push up variations with different feet elevations / side angles and side plank), any kind of shoulder rotation while maintaining a position while be highly beneficial:

Once you can do a few of these ones on each side, you get plenty enough of shoulder strength and mobility

Kind regards,

Pet'

I really like "thread the needle" rotational side planks for their ability to hit the stabilizers / rotators harder and work on thoracic rotation all in one move.

I really like "thread the needle" rotational side planks for their ability to hit the stabilizers / rotators harder and work on thoracic rotation all in one move.

That movement pattern is awesome for your shoulders IMO.

I AM NOT A HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL, but these are all anecdotes from my experience and extensive personal research:

-Doing cuban rotations/press in varying angles helped my shoulder a lot after surgery.

-SERRATUS SLIDES. This drill is especially important for HSPU or overhead pressing movements and also definitely helped me regain most of my pre-surgery overhead strength. I am not a physio (the guy in the following video is, however) but I have read multiple physios talk about keeping the elbows IN during HSPUs to make it safer and stronger (so that your head and elbows would form a triangle or tripod position at the bottom of the rep). My understanding is that doing them with the elbows in activates your scapular upward rotators (serratus, upper and lower trapezius) and your external rotators (infraspinatus, teres minor, some delt) more.

Some people out there may disagree or have other opinions about the safety/efficacy of this motion, but this action supposedly creates a more stable shoulder joint because the external rotators are "sucking the ball of the humerus" into the shoulder socket. If your upward rotators are all firing well, this keeps your scapula hugged against your ribcage better. All that also supposedly helps prevent impingement as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom